1EDI60N12AF Behavior below UVLO

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
VaBaSPI
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

Hi, I have an issue with the 1EDI60N12AF gate drive used within a bootstrap circuit for the top switch.

Following situation: primary side is supplied by 5V, the output is not supplied until the bottom switch is activated for the first time (=normal bootstrap initial condition).

When the initial condition of the driver side supply is 0V: the gate of the switch is charged slightly&slowly through the gate driver (not due to parasitic capacitors). The gate voltage rises to values around 5...8V, depending on the dV/dt of the boot strapped supply voltage (is round 5...10V/us in my case). The datasheet states: "In case of UVLO an active shut down keeps the output voltage at a low level." Which is not the case, although there is an additional 10k pulldown to source on the gate.

When the initial condition of the driver side supply is ~2.5V (far below UVLO) the above situation is not observed. That voltage can be achieved by some 100uA bias current generated by an high value R across the bottom switch.

However, I'm not sure if that behavior is normal/intended and if the work around is reliable or if there is another way to overcome.

0 Likes
1 Solution
lock attach
1211Shukla
100 replies posted 10 likes received 25 solutions authored

Hi,

Since you want to test UVLO operation of the gate driver 1EDI60N12AF . I would like to recommend you to perform the test as per the Fig.8 in the datasheet. Just make the IN+ signal always high, vary VCC1 & VCC2 in respective order and observe the OUT signal of the gate driver as per data in Table 4 in the datasheet.

1211Shukla_0-1663876186526.png

1211Shukla_1-1663876467026.png

I have also simulated the circuit shared by you with 1EDI60N12AF spice model in ltspice, where UVLO operation is performed perfectly fine. I have attached the result for you.

Do revert back in case of any query

Regards,

Rishabh S

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies
1211Shukla

Hi,

While going through your question, I can understand that you are using 1EDI60N12AF  single channel isolated driver. I am not sure how come you are implementing a bootstrap in there. Is the driver for bottom switch is different than the top switch. Please share the schematic for better understanding.

Regards,

Rishabh S

0 Likes
lock attach

You understand correctly: there are two single channel gate drivers for each phase. The driver for the top switch is supplied by bootstrapping. I added a simplified schematic with the relevant values and indicating the voltage measurements. The colors of the arrows match the colors of the traces in the measurement. I hope it helps.

0 Likes
lock attach
1211Shukla

Hi,

Since you want to test UVLO operation of the gate driver 1EDI60N12AF . I would like to recommend you to perform the test as per the Fig.8 in the datasheet. Just make the IN+ signal always high, vary VCC1 & VCC2 in respective order and observe the OUT signal of the gate driver as per data in Table 4 in the datasheet.

1211Shukla_0-1663876186526.png

1211Shukla_1-1663876467026.png

I have also simulated the circuit shared by you with 1EDI60N12AF spice model in ltspice, where UVLO operation is performed perfectly fine. I have attached the result for you.

Do revert back in case of any query

Regards,

Rishabh S

0 Likes
VaBaSPI
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

Hi Rishabh,

Thanks for your effort! Actually I don't want to test the UVLO operation. I simply see that it does not behave like I expected it from reading the data sheet: In+ is 0 in my case, now when VCC2 rises (due to bootstrapping supply), the output starts to increase, although VCC2 is far below UVLO. That's the issue, I expect to stay Out at 0V. I've drawn my situation into the graph of the datasheet:

DatasheetGraph.png

 To my understanding: Out should stay low, but according to my measurements it does not:

InitialCondition0V.png

 The peak Out-voltage depends on the VCC2 rise time (blue). Higher rise time give higher Out-voltage. That issue disappears when VCC does not start from 0 but from 2.5V:

InitialCondition2_5V.png

I've simulated both situations in spice as well, there the problem does not exist.

 Best regards

0 Likes
1211Shukla

Hi,

Let me also know  the exact input conditions in the  circuit block diagram shared by you. When you say that IN+ is 0, whether it is connected to GND(as you drawn) or floating. Please Connect IN+ to GND, IN- to High then observe and share the results in a separate graph. 

Regards,

Rishabh S

0 Likes

I didn't take into account, that it is related to the input, as it is driven as shown below:

RelevantSchematic3.png

The top and bottom switch control signals are connected "inverted" to each other, that gives a very basic shoot-through protection. Initial condition is: All In+ and In- are low (and subsequently the gate outputs as well).

Then In+ of the bottom switch goes high and turns the gate on. In the same instance In- of the top switch goes high as well, as you propose. According to the datasheet the gate of the top switch should be held low in any case (In+=In-=low and In+=low, In-=high).

0 Likes
1211Shukla

Hi,

Thanks for your patience,

can you answer few questions?

1)Were the measurements done with  capacitive load or was it with no load?

2) How were the gate voltages measured? With passive probes or differential probes? Was care taken to minimize the length of the  ground connection of the probes by using for ex. spring tip? The bottom gate measurement shows an overshoot during turn-on.

3) Could you please share full schematics? 

Regards,

Rishabh

0 Likes
1211Shukla

Hi,

Can you please share the information asked in preceding chat?

regards,

Rishabh S

0 Likes
1211Shukla

Hi,

Did you resolve the issue? Please revert if you need further support.

Regards,

Rishabh

0 Likes