1EDI EiceDRIVER

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
User22867
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm designing a DC-DC converter. I'm thinking of using SiC mosfet and Infineon driver in this circuit.
The mosfet I am using is 4 pin (Kelvin Source). The driver I think is 1EDI EiceDRIVER and seconder power supply of driver is Recom product R15P21503D (-3/+15 VDC Output).

Is it right for me to make a connection with these products as in the image below? 

Picture2.jpg

How should I connect with this driver and mosfet when I want to supply it with 0/+15 VDC ? Should I connect driver seconder GND and converter GND ?

Please can you share sample schematics of this driver and 4 pin mosfet?

Best regards.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Pablo_EG
First question asked 250 sign-ins 250 replies posted

Hello Nebi,

Thank you for posting on Infineon Forums.

In the case of bipolar supply (in your case +15/-3V), the connection schematic you shared is right.
The kelvin-source terminal is connected to the same potential as the source terminal of the MOSFET.

In the case of unipolar supply(+15/0V), this would be the correct connection:
Picture4.png

Also, please refer to the following App Note about Kelvin-Source configuration:
https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-ApplicationNote_MOSFET_CoolMOS_C7_650V_in_TO-247_4pin-AN-v01_...
The trace from the kelvin-source to the driver as well as from the gate to the driver output should be as short as possible.
This will decrease the parasitic inductance of the gate loop and in consequence, reduce any unwanted gate swings.

If you are planning on driving a CoolSiC device, please have in mind that full channel enhancement and lowest Rdson can be achieved with a Vgs of 20V.

Best regards,
Pablo

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
Pablo_EG
First question asked 250 sign-ins 250 replies posted

Hello Nebi,

Thank you for posting on Infineon Forums.

In the case of bipolar supply (in your case +15/-3V), the connection schematic you shared is right.
The kelvin-source terminal is connected to the same potential as the source terminal of the MOSFET.

In the case of unipolar supply(+15/0V), this would be the correct connection:
Picture4.png

Also, please refer to the following App Note about Kelvin-Source configuration:
https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-ApplicationNote_MOSFET_CoolMOS_C7_650V_in_TO-247_4pin-AN-v01_...
The trace from the kelvin-source to the driver as well as from the gate to the driver output should be as short as possible.
This will decrease the parasitic inductance of the gate loop and in consequence, reduce any unwanted gate swings.

If you are planning on driving a CoolSiC device, please have in mind that full channel enhancement and lowest Rdson can be achieved with a Vgs of 20V.

Best regards,
Pablo

0 Likes