Announcements

From sunburn to sun earn – we’ve got the power! Watch our #poweringgreen videos now.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Translation_Bot
Community Manager
Community Manager
Community Manager

Let me confirm one point about the flat Diode.
In the datasheet, the surge current is IFSM=110,000A.
Would it be okay to extrapolate the Vf-If characteristics when that current flows, as shown in the attached Excel sheet?

We apologize for the inconvenience, but please confirm.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anil_Y
10 likes received 25 solutions authored 10 solutions authored

Dear @YuTa_4942221 ,

Good day!!

As we know I-V plot explains the static characteristics whereas surge current is a dynamic parameter. we cannot characterize surge current with the I-V plot.

Best Regards,

Anil Kumar.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anil_Y

Dear @YuTa_4942221 ,

Good day!!

Thanks for posting your query on the Infineon community.

The I-V characteristics curve given in the datasheet is for continuous operation.

If we extrapolate the curve above 6000A the Vf (forward voltage drop) will increase beyond the max value given in the datasheet, which is not recommended for continuous operation.

Please let me know your application and why you want to go for such a high current.

For more information please refer to the Infineon application note on AN2012-01 Bipolar technical information.

Best Regards,

Anil Kumar.

0 Likes
Translation_Bot
Community Manager
Community Manager
Community Manager

Anil Kumar

Thank you for contacting us.

I am aware that the I-V characteristic curve described in the data sheet is for continuous operation.

Do you have any other information defined in surge currents?

In addition, we will describe the app and background.

App: Chemical Factory Rectifier

Background:In a rectifier, itis necessary to conduct a short-circuit testby passing a current in the surge region through the element,

At that time, current imbalance occurs between parallel elements due to variations in on-voltage, so we would like to determine the test current by considering the current imbalance.

In examining the variation in the on-voltage, the intention is to check theVf-Ifcharacteristics when a surge current (short-circuit current) flows.

Thank you for your understanding.

0 Likes
YuTa_4942221
Level 5
Level 5
Distributor - Macnica (Japan)
50 replies posted 50 questions asked 100 sign-ins

Anil Kumar-san

I apologize for the many times.

I would appreciate it if you could also tell me how to think about I-V characteristics at the time of surge current.

Regards,

0 Likes
YuTa_4942221
Level 5
Level 5
Distributor - Macnica (Japan)
50 replies posted 50 questions asked 100 sign-ins

Anil Kumar-san

I would like to know about the concept of I-V characteristics during surge current. How is the situation after that?

Regards

0 Likes
Anil_Y

Dear @YuTa_4942221 ,

Good day!!

As we know I-V plot explains the static characteristics whereas surge current is a dynamic parameter. we cannot characterize surge current with the I-V plot.

Best Regards,

Anil Kumar.

0 Likes