XMC4700 pmsm motor

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Ron21
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked First like given

Hello, I have an xmc4700 relax kit, I want to rotate a pmsm motor using it. I downloaded the dave software and added the pmsm app, configured all the motor parameters and the driver parameters. The motor rotates in V/f mode with a high current and does not rotate in direct foc mode,  kindly let me know how to debug and rectify the issue.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Krupashankar
500 replies posted 50 likes received 25 likes received

Hi @Ron21 ,

Kindly suggest the settings that are to be configured to enable hall sensor-based feedback and also for accurate current detection?

You can add HALL_POSIF app to the existing FOC app to enable hall sensor angle sensing and for accurate current sensing please ensure correct motor parameters and power board configurations like shunt resistor, ADC bias voltage and amplifier gain.

Krupashankar_0-1636980485201.png

Does the pmsm app work well on the XMC4700 relax kit? also share with me any tutorials if you have on xmc4700 and pmsm motor with sensored feedback?

Yes, PMSM APP will work on XMC 4700 relax kit. Please refer to application note for using BLDC motor with XMC 4000 series:

https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-AP32359_BLDC_Motor_Control_Software-AN-v01_00-EN.pdf?fileId=5...

Thanks,

Krupashankar

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Krupashankar

Hi @Ron21 ,

The motor rotates in V/f mode with a high current and does not rotate in direct FOC mode?

In V/f mode the motor rotates in open loop mode, There will be no angle sensing  to provide optimum excitation so motor draws more current.

For Direct FOC mode the angle sensing of the motor should performed either using sensor-less or sensor operation( Hall senor or Encoder).

If you are using sensor-less method then motor parameters such as No load speed RPM, Ld ,  Lq and Rs these parameters are vital in sensing the angle from back-emf.

You can use  Micrium® uC/ProbeTM XMCTM dash board for debugging and analyzing the current and voltage waveform of motor.

https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-Tooling_Micrium_uCProbe_XMC_getting_started-GS-v01_00-EN.pdf?...

Could you please share the following details:

• What is the fault you are getting when running the motor using Direct FOC mode
  • Power Board details and its configuration.
  • Details on angle measurement ( sensor or sensor-less) 

These details will help us in understanding the issue better.

Thanks,

Krupashankar

Ron21
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked First like given

Hello @Krupashankar,

Thanks for the reply, I'll try using  Micrium® uC.

Meanwhile to let you know the power board is custom made with high side switches having active low and low side switches having active high configuration. The board also has hall-based 3 phase current sensing with 3 hall sensor inputs from the motor. 

Kindly suggest the settings that are to be configured to enable hall sensor-based feedback and also for accurate current detection.

Does the pmsm app work well on the XMC4700 relax kit? also share with me any tutorials if you have on xmc4700 and pmsm motor with sensored feedback.

Thanks,

Royan 

0 Likes
Krupashankar

Hi @Ron21 ,

Kindly suggest the settings that are to be configured to enable hall sensor-based feedback and also for accurate current detection?

You can add HALL_POSIF app to the existing FOC app to enable hall sensor angle sensing and for accurate current sensing please ensure correct motor parameters and power board configurations like shunt resistor, ADC bias voltage and amplifier gain.

Krupashankar_0-1636980485201.png

Does the pmsm app work well on the XMC4700 relax kit? also share with me any tutorials if you have on xmc4700 and pmsm motor with sensored feedback?

Yes, PMSM APP will work on XMC 4700 relax kit. Please refer to application note for using BLDC motor with XMC 4000 series:

https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-AP32359_BLDC_Motor_Control_Software-AN-v01_00-EN.pdf?fileId=5...

Thanks,

Krupashankar

0 Likes