USB VCom infinite loop

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Not applicable
Dear Forum Readers and Visitors,

I'm seeking your advice with the USB VCom App.
I want to use it to send message from my RelaxKit ( USB client ) to a computer ( USB host ).

Depending on the rest of my program, USBD_VCOM_SendString function never exits.
This is not a general behaviour, but only occurrs after several messages have been sent successfully by calling USBD_VCOM_SendString .
In my current program this seems to depend directly on the number of messages I try to send - if I send one message less, everything is working fine, if I add the last message again, it doesn't return from the last call to USBD_VCOM_SendString.
It doesn't matter if I'm making this calls from the same function or move one call to a subfunction and try calling USBD_VCOM_SendString from there.

Using the debugger I see that the program never leaves Endpoint_Write_Stream_LE (const void *const Buffer, uint16_t Length, uint16_t *const BytesProcessed) in file [ \Dave\Generated\src\USBD\usbd\USBD_EndpointStream_XMC4000.c ].
In this function, in the while (Length) - loop, ep->InInUse evaluates according to the debugger to 1 which leads to the immediate skip of the rest of the loop-content because of the following if-clause:
if (ep->InInUse) continue;
A manual change of ep->InInUse didn't help either, this lead to a BusFaultException.

The behaviour doesn't strictly depend on the number of messages in general, just in this situation, because in the beginning of my program I can send many messages using USBD_VCOM_SendString ( until a button is pressed ) without any troubles.

Some details on my setup:
Development Board: Relax Kit
Dave Version: 3.1.10 , Installer build : 2014-02-26
USBD_VCOM version: 1.0.0
USBD version: 1.0.0
USBD_LLD version: 1.0.0
CLK001 version: 1.0.42

Any help, hints, possible solutions or investigations on that subject are highly appreciated.

Kind regards

dragol

PS.: Adding a big manual message fifo and sending only one message from a seperate output function each time the output function is called, is not the way I want to ( try to ) work around this issue, because I fear running out of RAM when deploying this in my final application, which probably will need quite much string parsing and buffering on its own.
0 Likes
1 Reply
Not applicable
Hi dragol,

I'm not quite understand what do you mean by 'one message less'.
dragol wrote:
if I send one message less, everything is working fine, if I add the last message again, it doesn't return from the last call to USBD_VCOM_SendString.

Perhaps you can explain how much data you have sent or how did you send your data.
So that I could try to reproduce the error at my side here.
0 Likes