KIT_XMC_LINK_SEGGER_V1 is not working

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
User9230
Level 1
Level 1
I buy new KIT_XMC_LINK_SEGGER_V1 but it is not working properly. I downloaded software JLink_V600E (the latest version I found) and installed it. If I use KIT_XMC_LINK_SEGGER_V1 on Relax kit XMC4500 is working well,
but with any other board with the same cpu XMC4500-F100K1024 it is not working. Instead all connections are ok I can't connect to my cpu.

To discover little more what is going on I used JFlash.exe (program on SEGGER directory). I saw that connection from computer to KIT_XMC_LINK_SEGGER_V1 is ok (program see J-Link Lite-XMC4200 Rev.1. Compiled jan/14 2016).
If I connect Relax kit to the KIT_XMC_LINK_SEGGER_V1 connection is made, but with my cpu there is no connection. If I run JlinkLicenseManager.exe no license is found.

Can somebody help me if there is a license problem or only KIT_XMC_LINK_SEGGER_V1 is not working properly? Should I receive also a license with XMC_LINK_SEGGER_V1?

Thank you
Damjan
0 Likes
3 Replies
Marillion
Employee
Employee
5 sign-ins First solution authored First like given
Hello Damjan,

I don't think that this a license issue, because the XMC Link (KIT_XMC_LINK_SEGGER_V1) is designed to work with all XMC devices without requiring licenses.

To find the root cause we have to check the hardware setup of your XMC4500-F100K1024 and your tooling settings.

Most important to know: The XMC LINK has an internal isolation and it is required to supply the isolated output part of the XMC Link. How to do this? The target application needs to supply the XMC-Link with 3.3V via one of the two connectors.

The easiest connection between XMC Link and XMC device is the use of the Serial Wire Debug (SWD) protocol, because this protocol requires just 2 pin for clock and data. Data are exchanged via the TMS pin of the XMC device and clock signal is feed into the TCK pin of the XMC device. Please ensure that these 2 signals of the XMC Link are connected correctly to the XMC device. Furthermore choose SWD as debug protocol in our tooling.

Ensure that the XMC device is supplied on all VDDP pins with 3.3V. Do NOT connect 3.3V power supply to VDDC!

Reset signal is not required for debugging purpose. For testing please remove any connection at the PORST# pin of the XMC device (also no capacitor should be connected here).

So, at least you need to connect 4 pins of the XMC-Link with your target application:
1) TMS
2) TCK
3) GND
4) 3.3V

Now it should work. If not, please describe what kind of tooling you are using and maybe you can upload the schematics or let me know, which XMC kit you rate using.

Best Regards
Marillion
0 Likes
User9230
Level 1
Level 1
Thank you for replay. I'm sending a cpu part of schematics. There you can see connections of reset, connection to Ethernet and Cortex debug connector. The hardware on schematics is working. I’m sure because I tested it also with
programmer of Relax kit. Now that I saw the KIT_XMC_LINK_SEGGER_V1 and I can afford to buy it, I wish to finally get completely working platform of Dave.

As you proposed I connect KIT_XMC_LINK_SEGGER_V1 to my hardware only with 4 wire (TMS, TCK, +3.3V and GND). I tested with connected reset capacitor (on schematic C63) and also with disconnected. The result is the same.

If I start debugger on Dave 3 the same sign appear
“The debug instrument IO could not be initialized.
The GDI debug instrument provided the following error message.
An error occurred while connecting to the target. The exact cause is unknown, but possibly, the J-Link is not connected to the target properly.”

Also if I test connection on JLink platform the result is remaining the same. A 4 wire connection I tested also on Relax kit and there works.

Damjan
0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
User9230
Level 1
Level 1
modrina_koper wrote:
Thank you for replay. I'm sending a cpu part of schematics. There you can see connections of reset, connection to Ethernet and Cortex debug connector. The hardware on schematics is working. I’m sure because I tested it also with
programmer of Relax kit. Now that I saw the KIT_XMC_LINK_SEGGER_V1 and I can afford to buy it, I wish to finally get completely working platform of Dave.

As you proposed I connect KIT_XMC_LINK_SEGGER_V1 to my hardware only with 4 wire (TMS, TCK, +3.3V and GND). I tested with connected reset capacitor (on schematic C63) and also with disconnected. The result is the same.

If I start debugger on Dave 3 the same sign appear
“The debug instrument IO could not be initialized.
The GDI debug instrument provided the following error message.
An error occurred while connecting to the target. The exact cause is unknown, but possibly, the J-Link is not connected to the target properly.”

Also if I test connection on JLink platform the result is remaining the same. A 4 wire connection I tested also on Relax kit and there works.

Damjan

Atachment added
0 Likes