Issue with the debugger.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Not applicable
Hi,
I am using an XMC2GO eval board (XMC1100, Q024F0064).
I downloaded and installed DAVE 3.1.10, which includes also SEGGER JLinkARM_V480f. When I first connected the board, everything seemed to be ok: green led on, red leds blinking, messages sent every 2 seconds on the serial port.
I tried then to start a new project and do some practise with the debugger.
I started a new project with File->New->DAVE Project, selecting Easy Start Project (it should be the same project pre-loaded on the board) and the above mentioned target.
Project rebuild is ok, but when I launch the debugger (TASKING C/C++ Debugger, selecting XMC2GO for XMC1100 as a target) I got this error:

The debug instrument IO could not be initialized.
The GDI debug instrument provided the following error message.
The SEGGER-provided library C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGGER\JLinkARM_V484e\jlinkarm.dll does not exist or cannot be loaded.

DAVE libraries and project are updated, so I don't know why there is a reference to a different version of JLink. I also tried renaming the folder of JLink into JLinkARM_V484e (I know this is not the solution): this time the debugger starts, the init function is called, but red leds are not blinking and no message is sent on serial port.

Could you please explain how to have the Easy Start Project up and running again?

Thanks in advance.
0 Likes
4 Replies
Not applicable
Hi, Steve,
I have tried the steps that you have performed and able to enter debug mode without error.
From this link: https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/evaluation-boards/KIT_XMC_2GO_XMC1100_V1/productType.html?pr..., you could download the user manual for this XMC2GO kit. From this user manual, you would find that P1.0 and P1.1 of XMC2GO board are connected to the LEDs, P1.3/P1.2 are used for SWD debugging. P2.1 is used for uart transmit and P2.2 is used for uart received. Hence, you need to modify the original Easy Start Project source code in order that LED can blink and Message can send out using the XMC2GO board.
Furthermore, the updated Segger driver should be stored at c:\Program File\SEGGER\JLinkARM_Vxxxx\ folder after setup. Hence, I am puzzled why you need to rename the folder.
Maybe, you try to reinstall the segger v484e driver again and check the driver is indeed install at c:\Program File\SEGGER\JLinkARM_V484e\ folder .
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi tys,
thanks for your post. I've found the issue, it was due to a wrong key in my registry file. Now the debugger starts correctly with the JLink version provided in the latest DAVE package.
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi Steve, could you give more info about how you solved your problem? I have the same issue..

I've installed DAVE 3.1.10 and JLinkARM_V484f. My device is the XMC4500 Relax Kit F100x1024. The message error is:

Error creating session
The debug instrument IO could not be initialized.
The GDI debug instrument provided the following error message.
The SEGGER-provided library C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGGER\JLink_V510d\jlinkarm.dll does not exist or cannot be loaded.

When i try to debug a Easy start project

Thanks!
0 Likes
Raj
Employee
Employee
Hi Bamn,

It seems that SEGGER JLink v510d installation has not updated the registry. You can manually correct the entry to point to the latest JLink version(path\folder) to solve this problem.

In Registry editor, \\Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SEGGER\JLink --> InstallPath. change it to the latest version.
0 Likes