I2C CharLCD 1602 Module Sample (CY8CKIT-062-BLE)

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
MotooTanaka
Level 9
Level 9
Distributor - Marubun (Japan)
First comment on blog Beta tester First comment on KBA

IMG_4712.JPG

A week or so ago, I posted a sample of directly handling 1602 charLCD.

https://community.cypress.com/t5/Code-Examples/CharLCD-Sample-for-PSoC-6-CY8CKIT-062-BLE/m-p/268325#...

But there also was a request for a sample using an I2C-LCD module.

So I ordered my modules to Amazon, then noticed that there were very few documentation(s) available for the module,

except Arduino C++ sample. 

At first I tried to port the Arduino sample, but the more I tried the more screwed up I was 😜

Today, I realized that the device on the module is PCF8574, which is an I2C - port expander and reading the datasheet it's pretty easy to handle. So I discarded my pasta I've been boiled for a few days and ported my previous program directly using the PCF8574.

Anyway, it seems to be working now.

Schematic

002-schematic.JPG

Note: Using the module (and/or CY8CKIT-062-BLE) we don't need external I2C pull-ups.

Although the spec of the I2C module was 5V, it worked OK with 3.3V on my side of the planet.

If you are going to use 5V LCD module and power the I2C-LCD module with 5V,

please use 3.3V for I2C pull up to avoid burning PSoC 6.

(You may need to remove 4.7K pull-ups on the module, which is connected to VCC (=5V))

Pins

003-pins.JPG

Tera Term log (to write "Hello World!" from this program)

001-TeraTerm.JPG

moto

[Edit] 12-Mar-2021 fixed a type 

1 Reply
Aashita_R
50 likes received 100 solutions authored 250 replies posted

Hi @MotooTanaka ,

Thanks a lot for sharing this example project with the community. This will be very beneficial to our community users .

Best Regards,
Aashita