Why have CY22393 prices skyrocketed recently?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why have CY22393 prices skyrocketed recently?  Our contract manufacturer was quoted $7.68 a few weeks ago - now the price has nearly tripled to $22.18.  U.S. distributors confirm that the price increase came directly from Cypress in the last few weeks.  What's going on?

0 Likes
5 Replies
PradiptaB_11
500 replies posted 250 solutions authored 250 replies posted

Hi Tony,

We asked our marketing team about it and they some more information on this. Can you let us the the contractor and distributor to us. I am also assuming that octave labs will be the final customer. Please correct me if i am wrong here.

Thanks,

Pradipta.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Pradipta,

Thanks for your reply!  Octave Labs is not the final customer.  Unfortunately, I can't disclose the contract manufacturer and final customer in a public forum like this.  A private email message would be better.

The distributors who confirmed the early March price increase were Mouser and Digi-key.  Although some distributors have limited supplies (100's of pieces) of older stock at the lower price, more recent stock in tape and reel reflects the new price increase.  The contract manufacturer purchased some of this older stock for our upcoming prototype run.

We use five of these chips per unit, so the extra cost is on the order of $72 per unit.  At 1k units/year (5k PLLs/year), this amounts to a $72,000 BOM increase.  A re-design with different PLLs would be a justified engineering expense should the higher prices be permanent, especially since we haven't shipped units yet.  This would be unfortunate since the CY22393 is such a great PLL. 

We can use any of the CY22393 temperature ranges (FXC, FXE, or FXI) in our application.  Interestingly, Digi-key just listed the FXE and FXI suffixes as non-stocking as of the end of April.  Although Digi-key will continue to stock the FXC, my concerns remain that procurement will be an issue over our long product life-cycle. 

I hope you can help us continue to use this great part by providing definitive information about future CY22393 pricing and availability.

- Tony

0 Likes

Hi Tony,

I understand your concerns here. Can you create a marketing case with us. we will put you in  direct contact with our marketing team, where all your issues can be addressed.

Thanks,

Pradipta.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Pradipta,

How do I open a marketing case?

- Tony

0 Likes

Hi Tony,

i will open it on your behalf.

Thanks,