MA2304DNS EVAL-DSP configuration not working?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Julian66
Level 1
Level 1
5 sign-ins First reply posted First question asked

Hi Sirs,

I have a MA2304DNS EVAL Board, I can use this EVK to play music to speaker. But it seems not working when I adjust EQ,

here is the procedure:

1. connect power and speaker to EVK

2. Input audio <--I can hear the music correctly.

3. Run Merus 1.0.0-819

4. go to DSP page and setup low pass filter with fc at 100Hz (see attachment)

5. "APPLY".

5.1. I notice warning symbol is gone, after press "APPLY".

5.2. Music output from EVK disappear

6. reboot EVK

7. audio same as before, no any change (by ear)

I also tried different input signal such as 1kHz sine wave with 100Hz cutoff freq, but 1kHz audio still loud and clear after reboot.

My questions are:

1. Please help clarify above configuration procedure, I don't know where is the mistake.

2. Is reboot EVK necessary? I expect chip should reflect EQ result immediately after uploading, no need to reboot.

3. Can I read out filter parameter to Merus and display to DSP page ?

Thanks,

J66

0 Likes
1 Solution
m60dbfs
Employee
Employee
First like received First solution authored First reply posted

Hi @Julian66

I loaded the configuration folder from the GUI.zip file you provided and ran some tests. Below is a frequency response plot of the default configuration (flat) and also for the configuration you shared (-20dB cut + 2.25dB volume setting):

m60dbfs_0-1673559899441.png

@Julian66 wrote:

After I "APPLY", EVK stop output music, I have to reboot the EVK. and the DSP parameter I set early seems not exist in the EVK. (test audio is 1kHz sine wave)

@Julian66 wrote:

2. Is reboot EVK necessary? I expect chip should reflect EQ result immediately after uploading, no need to reboot.

No. In general, if the EVK ENABLE switch is turned OFF and then ON, it will reset the part into its default state. That's the state the part is in while you adjust the volume control.  This is why the DSP parameters go back to default when rebooting the EVK, as you mentioned.

If the Connected indicator (initial page), press the REFRESH button and the indicator should turn green if the MA2304 is detected:

m60dbfs_1-1673560443531.png

The MA2304 remains in its default state after loading the initial screen or pressing the REFRESH button. The MA2304 plays audio without any register configuration.

@Julian66 wrote:

Yes, that is expected:

Before loading DSP code into device:

m60dbfs_2-1673561111075.png

After clicking the APPLY button:

m60dbfs_4-1673561174602.png

@Julian66 wrote:

When clicking APPLY the MA2304 is muted for a few seconds while the DSP code is programmed through I2C and then automatically unmuted.

@Julian66 wrote:

No. The GUI does not sync the DSP page with the amplifier registers.

@Julian66 wrote:

1. Please help clarify above configuration procedure, I don't know where is the mistake.

The steps look OK, except that there is no need to reboot the EVK.

Things to check:

1. Check in the back of the PCB if there is a sticker with a serial number. Above the serial number, there should be the EVK name: EVAL_AUDIO_MA2304DNS. If it is not DNS (e.g. PNS), then that could be the problem.
  2. Make sure jumpers are set to default per the user manual.

Otherwise, it might be possible that the EVK you have is defective. We can ship an additional board if needed.

Regards,
m60dbfs

View solution in original post

0 Likes
12 Replies
amusz
Employee
Employee
25 replies posted 25 sign-ins 10 solutions authored

Hello @Julian66 ! Thank you for your collaboration in our developer community. 

Is the volume modified accidentally maybe?

Please take a look as well at this post

Could you share your GUI settings in a zip file so we can check internally?

Best regards!

0 Likes
lock attach
Julian66
Level 1
Level 1

Hi @amusz , Thank you for the reply.

Please find attached GUI.zip.

The issue I encountered is different from the one you provided. My PC can connect with EVM, I can control EVK volume by initial control panel(the one above the "refresh" button), but DSP parameter seems not working.

After I "APPLY", EVK stop output music, I have to reboot the EVK. and the DSP parameter I set early seems not exist in the EVK. (test audio is 1kHz sine wave)

Please provide your suggestion.

0 Likes
m60dbfs
Employee
Employee

Hi @Julian66

I loaded the configuration folder from the GUI.zip file you provided and ran some tests. Below is a frequency response plot of the default configuration (flat) and also for the configuration you shared (-20dB cut + 2.25dB volume setting):

m60dbfs_0-1673559899441.png

@Julian66 wrote:

@Julian66 wrote:

No. In general, if the EVK ENABLE switch is turned OFF and then ON, it will reset the part into its default state. That's the state the part is in while you adjust the volume control.  This is why the DSP parameters go back to default when rebooting the EVK, as you mentioned.

If the Connected indicator (initial page), press the REFRESH button and the indicator should turn green if the MA2304 is detected:

m60dbfs_1-1673560443531.png

The MA2304 remains in its default state after loading the initial screen or pressing the REFRESH button. The MA2304 plays audio without any register configuration.

@Julian66 wrote:

Yes, that is expected:

Before loading DSP code into device:

m60dbfs_2-1673561111075.png

After clicking the APPLY button:

m60dbfs_4-1673561174602.png

@Julian66 wrote:

When clicking APPLY the MA2304 is muted for a few seconds while the DSP code is programmed through I2C and then automatically unmuted.

@Julian66 wrote:

No. The GUI does not sync the DSP page with the amplifier registers.

@Julian66 wrote:

The steps look OK, except that there is no need to reboot the EVK.

Things to check:

1. Check in the back of the PCB if there is a sticker with a serial number. Above the serial number, there should be the EVK name: EVAL_AUDIO_MA2304DNS. If it is not DNS (e.g. PNS), then that could be the problem.
  2. Make sure jumpers are set to default per the user manual.

Otherwise, it might be possible that the EVK you have is defective. We can ship an additional board if needed.

Regards,
m60dbfs

0 Likes
amusz
Employee
Employee

Hi @Julian66 ,

We'll try to reproduce with your shared file and come back within 24hs/48hs max, to see if it's a hardware or software related issue.

Best regards

0 Likes
amusz
Employee
Employee

Hi @Julian66 ,

Please give us one more day, one of our support engineers is taking a look.

Best regards

0 Likes
lock attach
Julian66
Level 1
Level 1

Hi @amusz @m60dbfs , thanks for the detail reply.

Attachment my EVK picture for your reference. Sticker show "EVAL_AUDIO_MA2304DNS"

Thanks.

0 Likes
m60dbfs
Employee
Employee

Hi @Julian66 ,

Thanks for posting the EVK picture.

To double check:

1. What is the PVDD supply voltage set to?
  2. What is the speaker load?
  3. What is the state of the STATUS page before and after pressing the APPLY button? Before clicking APPLY, click the CLEAR button in the STATUS page to clear any flags as shown below.

m60dbfs_0-1673636773501.png

Thanks.

m60dbfs

0 Likes

1. 19VDC

2. 4 ohm

3. All Green

Jingwei
250 sign-ins 10 likes given 100 solutions authored

Hi,

Does the problem still exist?

BR,

Steven

0 Likes

Hi Steven,

This issue still persist. I resend the EVM to your agent Weikeng to test.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Jingwei
250 sign-ins 10 likes given 100 solutions authored

OK, I will close this thread. If you have some feedbacks from Weikeng and you want to discuss with us. You can recreate a question in community. Is that ok for you?

Steven

0 Likes

Hi @Jingwei 

Yes, it is no problem for me. Thanks for your help.

Julian.

0 Likes