Certain boards give far lower counts for same capacitance

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
StOl_4093121
Level 1
Level 1
5 sign-ins First question asked First like given

Hello,

We released a board that uses the CY8C4147AZI-S475 controller to measure capacitance readings from 5 sensors. We look at the actual count value for our application and a problem has come up when we started to produce more boards. basically certain boards read far lower count values for certain sensors than others when reading the same capacitance. So far we've only seen cases where one or two sensors out of the five are reading lower. For example, a "good" board will read 960 counts, and if I apply the same capacitance to the "bad" board will give me 580 counts.

Any ideas on why it would be so inconsistent? Could it be manufacturing issues or something like that? I wouldn't think the PSOC controller itself would have that kind of variation chip to chip.

0 Likes
1 Solution
ncbs
500 replies posted 50 likes received 250 sign-ins

Hi @StOl_4093121,

Refer to "CapSense Performance Tuning" chapter in the PSoC® 4 and PSoC 6 MCU CapSense® Design Guide. The raw counts might slightly vary considering various factors such as presence of foreign metallic objects, overlay, usage of filters, etc.

If the sensors are tuned for an SNR of more than or equal to 5:1, then the performance will be acceptable.

Regards,
Nikhil

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies