CSDV2 - Shield-Signal output on CTANK-Pin

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
EmJay
Level 1
Level 1
25 sign-ins 5 replies posted First reply posted

Is it possible to use CTANK-Pin to drive a shield elektrode ?

I use CSDV2 unit in a PSoC4000S (CY8C4045PVA-S412)  Device and want to use the Pin CTank (P4.3) to drive a shield elektrode. All other pins are used for sensing elektrodes and interfaces, so i tried to use Ctank-Pin to drive a shield
hatch on the PCB.
Capacitor Csh is not connected, and shielding methode is 'internal', using AmuxBuf and Switch-Resistors to generate shield signal. On other Pins, i can see a correct shield signal, but not for CTank (P4.3). 
What can i do to use P4.3 as shield drive?

I tried  to configure HSIOM-Port-Select Value 0x5 (CSD_SHIELD) for GPIO-Switching and 0x7 (AMUXB) for static Connection (to AmuxBusB). Both worked for other Pins, but not for Ctank-Pin.  Further i tried to use Register CSD_SW_DSI_SEL with value DSI_CSH_TANK = 0x1 (static connection). This is the reqired setting to use CTANK-Capacitor - but did not work.

Thank you.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Arpit_S
250 replies posted 100 solutions authored 250 sign-ins

Hi @EmJay,

As pointed by https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-AN85951_PSoC_4_and_PSoC_6_MCU_CapSense_Design_Guide-Applicati... Table 37, PSoC 4S Series Csh_Tank is supported on P4[2], P4[3] and P4[1]. In case you are not using Csh_Tank, the pin can be used to drive the shield.  If after assigning the pin to shield you're not getting any build error, you can use that specific pin to drive shield.

Which Development Environment are you using? PSoC creator or ModusToolbox 3.0? Did you configure the Shield pin the CapSense configurator correctly? Can you share your project with us?

Thanks!
Kind Regards

Arpit Srivastav

View solution in original post

0 Likes
11 Replies
Arpit_S

Hi @EmJay,

As pointed by https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-AN85951_PSoC_4_and_PSoC_6_MCU_CapSense_Design_Guide-Applicati... Table 37, PSoC 4S Series Csh_Tank is supported on P4[2], P4[3] and P4[1]. In case you are not using Csh_Tank, the pin can be used to drive the shield.  If after assigning the pin to shield you're not getting any build error, you can use that specific pin to drive shield.

Which Development Environment are you using? PSoC creator or ModusToolbox 3.0? Did you configure the Shield pin the CapSense configurator correctly? Can you share your project with us?

Thanks!
Kind Regards

Arpit Srivastav

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
EmJay
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Srivastav,

i tried in PSoC Creator and Modus-Toolbox.

So created a sample application in PSoC Creator based on C8KIT-145 and share it (attached).  I used an Example named "CE210709_CapSense_Linear_Slider_and_Buttons" and modified it to show the problem.

On C8Kit-145 no Tank-Capacitor is mounted (C13), so internal shielding has to be used.

Modifications:

• CSX Buttons removed in PSoC-Creator and Source-Code
  • Added Shield Electrode on P2.6 (Working correct)
  • Added Shield Electrode on P4.3 (CTank Pad , not working)
  • Removed C35 on C8KIT-145 (remove C35 from P4.3)

Attached you will find the project files.

Slider is working correct, Shield on P2.6 is working correct, Shield on P4.3 not working.

It would be really great to find a Solution for this !

Preview

0 Likes
lock attach
Arpit_S

Hi @EmJay ,

I created a project in ModusToolbox 2.4 for Guard Sensor. Guard Sensor implementation requires Shield. I have implemented shield in this project. I created this project for PSoC 4100S MAX kit (MSCv3) and I have used CY8CKIT-041S-MAX CAPACITIVE SENSING EXPANSION BOARD with some re-work. The Pin which you are driving to shield must be connected to the hatch pattern as well. Then the hatch pattern around the sensors will be driven to shield. The rework ensures HATCH_PATTERN1 AND HATCH_PATTERN2 are driven by shield signal. Resistor R8 needs to be populated for SHIELD0 connection and resistor R10 for SHIELD1 connection. Resistor R7, which connects HATCH_PATTERN1 AND HATCH_PATTERN2 (the hatches driven by SHIELD0 and SHIELD1 respectively), is left as it is. Please find attached image for more details. So make sure the pin you're driving to shield is connected to hatch pattern and then drive the respective pin to shield.

Please find attached design.cycapsense, design.modus and main.c file.

Thanks!
Kind regards

Arpit Srivastav

0 Likes
EmJay
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Srivastav,

I am not shure, that your response is related to my problem. 

Please check again.

0 Likes
Arpit_S

Hi @EmJay ,

You have issues in implementation of Shield. I've shared the project in which I have implemented Shield. Also, Please make sure that the pin which you are driving to shield must be connected to the hatch  pattern.

Thanks!
Kind regards

Arpit Srivastav

0 Likes
EmJay
Level 1
Level 1

Hi @Arpit_S ,

my Problem is not to implement shield or any other issues in using shield. My problem is pointed out
in the topic of this thread: How to get a shield signal on a specific pin, namely CTANK-PIN, especially
for fourth generatation CSDV2. 
Your answer does not cover this problem, and PSoC 4100S MAX implement 5th-Generation CSD and not 4th-Generation.
I my previous Post, i shared a PSoC Creator Project for CY8CKIT-145 (PSoC4000S) to show the problem an
demonstrate it. I am using a PSoC4000S in my Application.

Here I will try to explain the Problem again:
When using internal shielding, the Capacitor Ctank in not required. So this pin is free for other puropses,
and I would like to use this pin (Ctank P4.3) to drive a shield elektrode. But this does not work. No shield signal comes out of that special pin. That's my problem. 

Have you any idea, how to get a shield signal out of P4.3 (CTank)  for PSoC4000S.

Thank you

0 Likes
Arpit_S

When you say "No shield signal comes out of that special pin"

Is it the case that the Pin 4.3 has been configured as shield and after programming the board and probing Pin 4.3, you do not see shield signal. Did you try this?

0 Likes
EmJay
Level 1
Level 1

Hi @Arpit_S 

Yes, that is it. I configured Pin P4.3 as shield and programmed the board. After that i watched the signal at the pin with my oscilloscope, but no square-wave signal comes out of it.

To compare the behaviour with other pins,  I configured some other pins as shield and programmed the board. On these pins I can see a square-wave signal with my scope.

The pheomena is, that P4.3 is the only pin which does not show a sqare-wave signal when used (configured and programmed) as shield pin.    

0 Likes
Arpit_S

Like I mentioned in my previous response, 

"The Pin which you are driving to shield must be connected to the hatch pattern as well. Then the hatch pattern around the sensors will be driven to shield when you drive that specific pin to shield "

This same thing I tried to explain using PSoC 4100S MAX  CAPACITIVE SENSING EXPANSION BOARD re-works

So, the crucial point here is, Is P4.3, in your design connected to Hatch Pattern or not.

0 Likes
EmJay
Level 1
Level 1

Hi @Arpit_S ,

Pin 4.3 is connected to Hatch-Pattern.
No Sqaure- Wave shield signal (shield-signal) comes out of this Pin 4.3.

0 Likes
lock attach
Arpit_S

Hi,

I removed C35 from the kit145 and then probed P4.3 for shield signal. I programmed my device using your project only and I am getting shield signal. 

Kind Regards

Arpit Srivastav

0 Likes