About Capsense manual turning...

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Tim_Shih
Level 5
Level 5
250 sign-ins 50 replies posted 50 questions asked

Dear Receiver,

As I know, Smart Sense (Full auto Tune) can solve most of cap sense turning problem.

But I feel a little curious about Smart Sense (Manual Tune) now.

What's kind situation you will select Smart Sense (Manual Tune) ?!

It's hard for me to image SNR < 5, if I select Smart Sense (Full auto Tune) already.

Because I feel Smart Sense (Full auto Tune) will always get SNR > 5. Auto-tune should be smarter than manual tune.

Base on above,,,

Could you please give me some actual examples that SNR can't reach 5 even I select Smart Sense (Full auto Tune) ?!

I would like to learn how do estimate what case I should use  Smart Sense (Full auto Tune) and what case maybe I need to use Smart Sense (Manual Tune).

Thank you so much.

0 Likes
1 Solution
ncbs
500 replies posted 50 likes received 250 sign-ins

Hi @Tim_Shih,

SmartSense, in most cases, achieves an SNR of greater than or equal to 5:1. When the design does not follow the CapSense design recommendations provided in the CapSense Design Guide, or when ESD strikes occur, presence of metals/solid GND near the sensors which increases their Cp, then SNR of >5:1 cannot be achieved either by SmartSense or manual tuning.

Refer to section 5.1 in the design guide to decide when to choose between SmartSense and Manual Tuning.

Regards,
Nikhil

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ncbs
500 replies posted 50 likes received 250 sign-ins

Hi @Tim_Shih,

SmartSense, in most cases, achieves an SNR of greater than or equal to 5:1. When the design does not follow the CapSense design recommendations provided in the CapSense Design Guide, or when ESD strikes occur, presence of metals/solid GND near the sensors which increases their Cp, then SNR of >5:1 cannot be achieved either by SmartSense or manual tuning.

Refer to section 5.1 in the design guide to decide when to choose between SmartSense and Manual Tuning.

Regards,
Nikhil