Power Consumption on LPN

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
LUAB_4724786
Level 4
Level 4
25 replies posted 10 likes received 10 replies posted

Hi there,

Recently we use CYBT-213043-Mesh kit to develop our app with mesh related and also LPN feature and then we use the CYW20819 module which is the one that CYBT-213043-mesh kit used.

The development went well and we deployed it on CYW20819 but when we test it with battery power (CR2032), it is only last 4 days (wake-up every 20secs). So we check its power consumption with Digital Multi-Meter, somehow during sleep (LPN mode) the device consume around 0.5-0.7 mA. Then we load it with default application as well to make sure that our code is not doing some mistake, we use low_power_led demo sample and it is showing the same value of power consumption.

Is there anything that we can do to achive low power consumption at least near with the spec mention for CYW20819 during sleep (LPN)? FYI, during wake up the power consumption is very near with what the spec mention, only during sleep it is not.

Screenshot (25).png

One more thing,

• in low_power_led demo, we also disable the debug log (wiced_set_debug_uart(WICED_ROUTE_DEBUG_NONE)), it help a bit but still very high, 0.5-0.7 mA during sleep.
  • and the development environment is MTB 2.1.

Kindly help us with some pointers since we have some urgent requirement from our client to do some POC related with battery power BLE Mesh, thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

LUTHFI AD

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi,

I did not get the correct idea. But, I don't feel it is a good idea to turn off the radio externally as it may affect the functionality and performance drastically. HID-Off mode will be helpful to lower the power consumption.

Please check whether there is any peripherals consuming more power in your design.

Thanks,

-Dheeraj

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
DheerajPK_41
750 replies posted 500 likes received 500 replies posted

Hi,

The current values given in the datasheet is typical value of the chip in different power modes. This value can vary based on the application nature and peripheral usage. Since, the radio (scan duration) is always on for all the mesh nodes, we should expect the consumed power little higher than other normal applications.

I afraid, we do not have a detailed power consumption report for each mesh applications. As part of a debugging of Battery power issue on 213043, we have observed that the mesh kit can last around 8-9 hours reliably when there is just Green LED activity present in lightdimmable app with HCI UART and PUART cutoff. And it was consuming around 6+ mA current. Since, you are getting 4days backup I believe, that matches with the above test result. Please let me know your view.

Thanks,

-Dheeraj

0 Likes

Hi Dheeraj,

Is there any workaround for this, for example, is it possible to achieve something like this ...

1. Turning of the radio off (I cant find the API).
  2. Do wiced_sleep_enter_hid_off() with certain amount of times.
  3. I tested HID-Off it will reboot the device.
  4. Do init again I checked.
  5. Handle the reboot reason for my app.

Do you think is it possible ? or ... forced turn off radio and trip watchdog to reboot it ?

0 Likes

Hi,

I did not get the correct idea. But, I don't feel it is a good idea to turn off the radio externally as it may affect the functionality and performance drastically. HID-Off mode will be helpful to lower the power consumption.

Please check whether there is any peripherals consuming more power in your design.

Thanks,

-Dheeraj

0 Likes

Dear Dheeraj,

I do not think there is a peripherals consuming, its just CYW20819 module with needed component (external crystal + 6pf caps) and not even LED in there. I believe we cannot use LPN solution with small battery power like CR2032 with months usage for future solution, its draining too much.

Best Regards,

LUTHFI AD

0 Likes

Hi,

HID OFF is indeed the lowest possible power mode. Everything is OFF in this mode and the SRAM is also not retained. The only thing it is retaining is the GPIO states. The low power modes automatically turns the radio OFF and ON based on how much time the device does not need to perform anything.

Thanks,

-Dheeraj

0 Likes