Distance measurement using RSSI value

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
SnGh_4568476
Level 1
Level 1
25 sign-ins 10 sign-ins 5 questions asked

Hello Team,

I am using CYBT 213043 MESH controller and mesh controller app  for my application. I have following doubts.

1) If there are multiple CYBT 213043 MESH controller are there with some distances.  I want to know that which device/controller is close to my mobile/app. So how can I implement this from firmware and app side?

2) I just want to know that, Is it possible to use RSSI value to measure the distance of a device to app, like it shows the distance between device/controller and app/mobile. So that we can guess which device/controller is close to my mobile. 

Thanks and Regards ,

Sneha G.

0 Likes
1 Solution
DheerajPK_41
750 replies posted 500 likes received 500 replies posted

Hi,

I think, you can use the rssi received in the scan callback - ie. mesh_adv_report() in mesh_application.c. 

And regarding the distance measurement, of course, RSSI is not a recommended method for it. Because, rssi can influence the obstacles, environment, Antenna type, etc. between the RX and TX devices. But it can be used as an indicator, but its not reliable for distance measurement.

Thanks,

-Dheeraj

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
SheetalJ
First comment on KBA 750 replies posted 500 likes received

Hi Sneha,

2-A. You can use wiced_bt_dev_read_rssi() to get the RSSI between two devices. Depending on the RSSI value, you can figure out if peer device is closer or far. I dont think it is possible to get exact distance between two devices this way.

We will update you on your first query soon. 

0 Likes
SnGh_4568476
Level 1
Level 1
25 sign-ins 10 sign-ins 5 questions asked

Hello Sheetal,

Thank you so much for the reply. It helps me to read the RSSI value.

I am waiting for your response for my first query. As it is very important part of my projects. So let me know ASAP.

Thanks and Regards,

Sneha G.

0 Likes
DheerajPK_41
750 replies posted 500 likes received 500 replies posted

Hi,

I think, you can use the rssi received in the scan callback - ie. mesh_adv_report() in mesh_application.c. 

And regarding the distance measurement, of course, RSSI is not a recommended method for it. Because, rssi can influence the obstacles, environment, Antenna type, etc. between the RX and TX devices. But it can be used as an indicator, but its not reliable for distance measurement.

Thanks,

-Dheeraj

0 Likes