Cannot generate project with ModusToolbox 2.4

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
kf
Level 3
Level 3
First like received 25 sign-ins 10 replies posted

I'm trying to generate Bluetooth project for CYW920706WCDEVAL with ModusToolbox 2.4 and it fails for any project I select. The project's directory gets created and it is not empty, its content looks OK, but the project does not appear in Project Explorer in ModusToolbox IDE. Also "mtb_shared\wiced_btsdk" directory is empty.

Please find log for "LE Hello Sensor" project below.

Checking if remote manifest is accessible...
Getting manifests from remote server...

Processing super-manifest https://github.com/cypresssemiconductorco/mtb-super-manifest/raw/v2.X/mtb-super-manifest-fv2.xml...
Successfully acquired the information.

Summary:

BSP: CYW920706WCDEVAL
Template Application(s): LE Hello Sensor
Application(s) Root Path: C:/Work/mtw

Press "Create" to create the selected application(s).
Collecting application data...

Info: The following entered on the command line will create the exact same project as that created with the GUI tool:
C:/Infineon/Tools/ModusToolbox/tools_2.4/project-creator/project-creator-cli.exe --board-id CYW920706WCDEVAL --board-uri https://github.com/cypresssemiconductorco/TARGET_CYW920706WCDEVAL --board-commit latest-v3.X --app-id mtb-example-btsdk-ble-hello-sensor --app-uri https://github.com/cypresssemiconductorco/mtb-example-btsdk-ble-hello-sensor --app-commit latest-v3.X --cypress-tools C:/Infineon/Tools/ModusToolbox/tools_2.4 --target-dir C:/Work/mtw --user-app-name LE_Hello_Sensor --output-for-machine --use-modus-shell

==============================================================================
= Cloning 'mtb-example-btsdk-ble-hello-sensor' =
Cloning https://github.com/cypresssemiconductorco/mtb-example-btsdk-ble-hello-sensor into C:/Work/mtw directory...
env git clone --progress --origin cypress https://github.com/cypresssemiconductorco/mtb-example-btsdk-ble-hello-sensor LE_Hello_Sensor
Cloning into 'LE_Hello_Sensor'...
remote: Enumerating objects: 63, done.
remote: Counting objects: 100% (63/63), done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (25/25), done.
remote: Total 63 (delta 30), reused 60 (delta 30), pack-reused 0
Receiving objects: 100% (63/63), 49.76 KiB | 4.98 MiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (30/30), done.

Checking out latest-v3.X...
env git checkout --progress latest-v3.X
Note: switching to 'latest-v3.X'.

You are in 'detached HEAD' state. You can look around, make experimental
changes and commit them, and you can discard any commits you make in this
state without impacting any branches by switching back to a branch.

If you want to create a new branch to retain commits you create, you may
do so (now or later) by using -c with the switch command. Example:

git switch -c <new-branch-name>

Or undo this operation with:

git switch -

Turn off this advice by setting config variable advice.detachedHead to false

HEAD is now at 9a3cc26 Upload mtb-example-btsdk-ble-hello-sensor 3.1.0.17479

= Creating "TARGET_CYW920706WCDEVAL.mtb" file(s) =
C:/Work/mtw/LE_Hello_Sensor/deps/TARGET_CYW920706WCDEVAL.mtb was added
C:/Work/mtw/LE_Hello_Sensor/deps/TARGET_CYW920819EVB-02.mtb was removed

= Updating Makefile for "LE_Hello_Sensor" =

= Applying the Latest Version Locking for "LE_Hello_Sensor" =
C:/Work/mtw/LE_Hello_Sensor/deps/TARGET_CYW920706WCDEVAL.mtb was updated

= Getting Dependencies for "LE_Hello_Sensor" =
C:/Infineon/Tools/ModusToolbox/tools_2.4/modus-shell/bin/make.exe getlibs CY_TOOLS_PATHS=C:/Infineon/Tools/ModusToolbox/tools_2.4

= Importing libraries =
Git is git version 2.33.0, found at /usr/bin/git

Resolving dependencies...
Checking if remote manifest is accessible...

Getting manifests from remote server...

Processing super-manifest https://github.com/cypresssemiconductorco/mtb-super-manifest/raw/v2.X/mtb-super-manifest-fv2.xml...

Successfully acquired the information.

C:/Work/mtw/LE_Hello_Sensor/libs/20706A2.mtb was added

C:/Work/mtw/LE_Hello_Sensor/libs/btsdk-common.mtb was added

C:/Work/mtw/LE_Hello_Sensor/libs/btsdk-include.mtb was added

C:/Work/mtw/LE_Hello_Sensor/libs/btsdk-tools.mtb was added

C:/Work/mtw/LE_Hello_Sensor/libs/btsdk-utils.mtb was added

C:/Work/mtw/LE_Hello_Sensor/libs/core-make.mtb was added

Dependencies resolved.

Searching application directory (.mtb)...
Found 10 .mtb file(s)
Processing file "C:/Work/mtw/LE_Hello_Sensor/deps/TARGET_CYW920706WCDEVAL.mtb"
fatal: loose object 4ce767e209cefd1bcbf785e0c2f2e5d4a6b184ee (stored in ./objects/4c/e767e209cefd1bcbf785e0c2f2e5d4a6b184ee) is corrupt
error: Could not fetch origin

ERROR: Unable to checkout "TARGET_CYW920706WCDEVAL". This is not a valid git repository.

ERROR: --ABORTING--
: Script : C:/Infineon/Tools/ModusToolbox/tools_2.4/make/getlibs.bash
: Bash path : /usr/bin/bash
: Bash version: 4.4.12(3)-release
: Exit code : 1
: Call stack : trap_exit error perform_git process_mtb extract_data find_mtbs main
fatal: failed to copy file to '../mtb_shared/wiced_btsdk/dev-kit/bsp/TARGET_CYW920706WCDEVAL/release-v3.1.0/.git/objects/00/1ce47243711f9148cc2ae167ddd2f0c8ac9cc0': Permission denied
make: *** [C:/Infineon/Tools/ModusToolbox/tools_2.4/make/getlibs.mk:121: getlibs] Error 1
Project "LE_Hello_Sensor" failed to create.

"make getlibs" failed.

Failed to create and export "LE_Hello_Sensor" application.

0 Likes
1 Solution
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
kf
Level 3
Level 3

Hi @AlenAn14 ,

> 1. Delete the folder in the path 'mtb_shared/wiced_btsdk/dev-kit/bsp/TARGET_CYW920706WCDEVAL'
I tried that,  but got the same error.

> 2. If the above does not work, then, If its not too inconvenient for you, can you please uninstall and then install ModusToolbox in the default installation directory that is mentioned in the installer
Actually, C:/Infineon/Tools/ is the installation directory that was mentioned in the installer. I did not modify it! I just used "install for all users" option and did not modify anything except "mtw" directory location. And I set the environment variable afterwards, as it was suggested by the IDE.

However, I got it working now. I did the following:
- Uninstall Modus Toolbox
- Uninstall all drivers related to it
- Delete environment variable
- Reboot the PC
- Install Modus Toolbox without admin privileges, just for my user, using proposed paths - I used custom installation and unselected 2 options that require admin rights; since I have old WICED Studio installed with all drivers, it is not a problem

Now I'm able to generate a project, build and flash it. Although there're some errors or warnings during generation - please see attached log, - it gets generated anyway. So we can close this ticket.

Best regards,
Konstantin

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
AlenAn14
500 replies posted 100 solutions authored 250 replies posted

Hi @kf ,

Can you share me the 'TARGET_CYW920706WCDEVAL.mtb' file for your project.
It is at the path 'C:/Work/mtw/LE_Hello_Sensor/deps/TARGET_CYW920706WCDEVAL.mtb'.

Can you also try changing your workspace to a different location other than in the C drive.
If you have a different drive that would help, or just make sure you have administrator privilege's or run ModusToolbox as administrator.

Regards
Alen

0 Likes
lock attach
kf
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Alen,

> Can you share me the 'TARGET_CYW920706WCDEVAL.mtb' file for your project.
> It is at the path 'C:/Work/mtw/LE_Hello_Sensor/deps/TARGET_CYW920706WCDEVAL.mtb'.
Please find the file attached.

> Can you also try changing your workspace to a different location other than in the C drive.
I only have C drive on my PC.

> If you have a different drive that would help, or just make sure you have administrator privilege's
> or run ModusToolbox as administrator.
I do have "normal user" access to C:/Work/. I can create files and directories there and delete them. However, I ran ModusToolbox as administrator and it could generate an application and build it. I had to set CY_TOOLS_PATHS variable for my admin account in order to build the app. I built LE_Battery_Service example - actually, this is the one I need, not LE_Hello_Sensor. Now I'm trying to run this example on my CYW920706WCDEVAL. I select "LE_Battery_Service program" in the IDE let it run until it says "Programming complete", then start ClientControl and BT Spy and connect to the COM port. The COM port is definitely the right one - this is the one being used during programming. Then I see that all options in ClientControl are greyed out. I would also expect to see some more messages in BT Spy. Below is the BT Spy output:

0 17:14:42.151 - GENERIC Opened \\.\COM13 at speed: 3000000 flow on
1 17:14:44.169 - GENERIC Startup
2 17:14:44.169 - GENERIC Set discoverable:1, connectable:1
3 17:14:44.169 - GENERIC Set Pairable:1

When I build and flash LE_Battery_Service application using WICED Studio, it works just fine. So my questions are:
1. How to use ModusToolbox as not administrator? Please note that I already tried to install it for my user only (without admin privileges), and this didn't work either.
2. How to get the application being built with ModusToolbox running on my CYW920706WCDEVAL? I emphasize that if I build the same example on WICED Studio, it runs on this hardware without any problems.

Best regards
Konstantin

0 Likes
AlenAn14

Hi @kf ,

>1. How to use ModusToolbox as not administrator? Please note that I already tried to >install it for my user only (without admin privileges), and this didn't work either.
A] Your Desktop/Documents folder usually does not require any admin privilege's. So can you try creating your project in the Desktop folder and see if that results in the same error.

>2. How to get the application being built with ModusToolbox running on my >CYW920706WCDEVAL? I emphasize that if I build the same example on WICED Studio, >it runs on this hardware without any problems.
A] This seems to be a bluetooth related query. Please create a new thread for this so that an appropriate expert in bluetooth will be routed to help you out on this. 

Regards
Alen

0 Likes
lock attach
kf
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Alen,

> A] Your Desktop/Documents folder usually does not require any admin privilege's.
> So can you try creating your project in the Desktop folder and see if that results in the same error.
It still doesn't work. Please see attached file project-creator.log. You would agree with me that running ModusToolbox is not an acceptable solution.

Best regards,
Konstantin

0 Likes
AlenAn14

Hi @kf ,

Yes, it seems so and I believe the best way would be for you to access ModusToolbox as administrator to create your projects as this works well.
I did try comparing the log you shared with me with the one I created for the same device and project and for me it succeeds and the only difference I mainly see is the difference in the path set i.e. I did notice that you installed ModusToolbox in the path 'C:/Infineon/Tools/' which is not the default installation directory. So if possible can you try the following:
1. Delete the folder in the path 'mtb_shared/wiced_btsdk/dev-kit/bsp/TARGET_CYW920706WCDEVAL' and then try creating the battery service project once more for your target.
2. If the above does not work, then, If its not too inconvenient for you, can you please uninstall and then install ModusToolbox in the default installation directory that is mentioned in the installer  and then try creating the example project once more?

I will analyze this a little more in depth in the mean time.

Thank you for your patience 🙂

Regards
Alen

0 Likes
lock attach
kf
Level 3
Level 3

Hi @AlenAn14 ,

> 1. Delete the folder in the path 'mtb_shared/wiced_btsdk/dev-kit/bsp/TARGET_CYW920706WCDEVAL'
I tried that,  but got the same error.

> 2. If the above does not work, then, If its not too inconvenient for you, can you please uninstall and then install ModusToolbox in the default installation directory that is mentioned in the installer
Actually, C:/Infineon/Tools/ is the installation directory that was mentioned in the installer. I did not modify it! I just used "install for all users" option and did not modify anything except "mtw" directory location. And I set the environment variable afterwards, as it was suggested by the IDE.

However, I got it working now. I did the following:
- Uninstall Modus Toolbox
- Uninstall all drivers related to it
- Delete environment variable
- Reboot the PC
- Install Modus Toolbox without admin privileges, just for my user, using proposed paths - I used custom installation and unselected 2 options that require admin rights; since I have old WICED Studio installed with all drivers, it is not a problem

Now I'm able to generate a project, build and flash it. Although there're some errors or warnings during generation - please see attached log, - it gets generated anyway. So we can close this ticket.

Best regards,
Konstantin

0 Likes
AlenAn14

HI @kf ,

Glad the IDE worked for you. Do create a new thread in case you face any other issues or query regarding our products.

Thanks and Regards
Alen

0 Likes