CYBT-213043 kit issue with battery powered application

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
ShHo_1410221
Level 3
Level 3
5 replies posted First question asked First reply posted

I am having problem with CYBT-213043 kits when powering from CR2032 slot. It works fine when battery voltage is above 2.9 V to 3.3 V (fresh battery).But when voltage drops below 2.9 volt, the bluetooth chip turns off and disconnects from mesh network.

I have seen the datasheet, the BT chip should have a working voltage range of 1.8V to 3.6V. Why is this not working ? Is there any Brown Out Detection setting with the demo codes (couldn't find any) ?

I am trying with the demo codes (Low power LED and On/Off Switch) provided with MODUS TOOLBOX 2.0, it works well with fresh batteries, but after few minutes when voltage drops below 2.9 v, it does not work. In my mesh there are 2 Lights and 2 Switches. I have tried with 1 slightly weak battery and 3 fresh batteries swapping among lights and switches. It's the same, device with the weak battery disconnects from the network after few minutes.

Actually I am using 2 AA instead of CR2032, so leakage current should not be an issue, it's the voltage.

Can anyone help ? My design requires "battery powered portable multiway mesh switch system", so I need the system to work down to 2.2 V.

bt2.jpg

Fig: Powering from 2 AA instead of CR2032

3 Replies
ShHo_1410221
Level 3
Level 3
5 replies posted First question asked First reply posted

I found the solution after drinking 2 cups of tea while dunking biscuits and looking at the CYBT-213043-MESH Schematics !

move.jpg

Flipping the DIP switch from it's default right position to left position did the trick. Now the actual bluetooth chip works with 2.3 Volts (should go down up to 1.8 v).

When the USB to serial comm chip (U2) is connected to the main Bluetooth chip, for some reason the main chip stops working when Vdd is less than 2.9V. But isolating the two solves the issue.

Note: To program/debug, HCI UART DIP switch must be restored to original position (right wrt Cypress Logo)

Thanks a lot for your sharing.

You are welcome. I am hustling and struggling with these kits and modus toolbox.

Learning and solving issues one by one, slowly but surely.

Finally got a working control (client+server) model for my new target application

"Bluetooth Mesh Motion-sensed Multi-way Switches & Lamps",

Although my final goal is to include Ambient Light Sensing to wake up from LPN to friendly relay mode and light up the entire network.

My Wic(k)ed friends - Caffeine, Nicotine, Sucrose and Cursing are helping along the way !

0 Likes