Beacon Demo App for CYBT-213043-MESH

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
LUAB_4724786
Level 4
Level 4
25 replies posted 10 likes received 10 replies posted

Hi there,

I am sorry if my questions is too green, still reading all the materials related with BLE Mesh currently. Since CYBT-213043-Mesh kit support BLE, could you help me to point me on some direction or sample app that I can load in modul toolbox just like in Mesh Demo and Mesh Snip for below query :

1. Beacon sample app and can be configure as iBeacon so I can read and test on iPhone.
  2. Beacon Scanner or ... BLE Scanner that can be connected in mesh network as well, is it possible ? last time I read and experimenting as observer with other device but all the data being scanned connected to PC mostly via serial.
  3. If number 2. possible, ... Last time during my experiment for this type of scanning, I can check their MAC and RSSI as well, is it possible to read those value as well ?

Thanks and Best Regards,

LUTHFI AD

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi,

I believe you are searching for a BLE Beacon application that should work with CYTB-213043-MESH kit.

If yes, by default this application is not enabled for CYBT-213043-MESH platform. Our Development and testing teams are not testing and verifying BLE beacon applications on CYBT-213043-MESH platform specifically.

But, still you can try editing the makefile of beacon application of CYW920819EVB-02​ (or CYTB-213043-EVAL​) for CYTB-213043-MESH platform. It may or may not work as expected. But in my opinion, for this particular case, It should work fine, since all these platforms are based on 20819 chip.

Also, if you are planning for substantial amount of development, I would recommend you to get an appropriate EVAL kit as well, since it provides more flexibility in testing and debugging. Please check the https://www.cypress.com/products/ble-bluetooth .

Thanks,

-Dheeraj

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DheerajPK_41
750 replies posted 500 likes received 500 replies posted

Hi,

BLE mesh has it's own spec defined by SIG. It works on publish-subscribe paradigm. It is not a different radio spec in my opinion, it is a networking spec. There is a mesh profile spec which defines the core features and, there is mesh model spec which defines the various models in ble mesh.

There is no "Beacon" example in the mesh that you can test in normal ble scanner mobile applications. You can use Cypress helper applications (Android/IOS/Windows) to test the mesh applications. Since, BLE mesh is interoperable, you can use other standard mesh mobile application (if you know any) as well which follows the SIG spec.

You can use beacon project which demonstrate implementation of Google Eddystone and Apple iBeacons. But it is not mesh.

mtb-examples-CYW920819EVB-02-btsdk-ble/ble/beacon at master · cypresssemiconductorco/mtb-examples-CY...

You can try combining the beacon project with mesh application. But it should not affect the basic functionality/characteristics of mesh. Please careful if you are changing stack configurations set for mesh in wiced_bt_cfg.c.

BD Address and RSSI values can be read from mesh application as well. Please check mesh_adv_report() in mesh_appication.c

Some useful links to get more in for about mesh spec and implementation.

AppNote: https://www.cypress.com/file/473921/download

Lab Manual: GitHub - cypresssemiconductorco/CypressAcademy_WBT101_Files: Files for WICED Bluetooth 101 class

SIG Spec: https://www.bluetooth.com/specifications/mesh-specifications/

Thanks,

-Dheeraj

Dear Dheeraj,

Thank you for your answer and yes, there is no beacon sample in the mesh since it is not a mesh and actually I am not trying to make the beacon become a mesh as well. Probably my question not clear in here (sorry for that ), actually I just want to program CYBT-213043-Mesh kit that I have as a beacon and is there any sample application like this that I can use in modus tool box and load it easily like "other mesh sample", i mean no need to create scratch project from the start ?

"BD Address and RSSI values can be read from mesh application as well. Please check mesh_adv_report() in mesh_appication.c"

Thanks ! I will definitelly check on this !

And the other part is about "the scanner" ... for this, I want it become a mesh, so If I use mesh_vendor_specific_app (I've found this suitable) ... and modify it to add some code about "scanning those beacon adv" ... its feasible right ? any pointer on the example/code for those scanning process that I can read and try ?

Thanks.

0 Likes

Hi,

I believe you are searching for a BLE Beacon application that should work with CYTB-213043-MESH kit.

If yes, by default this application is not enabled for CYBT-213043-MESH platform. Our Development and testing teams are not testing and verifying BLE beacon applications on CYBT-213043-MESH platform specifically.

But, still you can try editing the makefile of beacon application of CYW920819EVB-02​ (or CYTB-213043-EVAL​) for CYTB-213043-MESH platform. It may or may not work as expected. But in my opinion, for this particular case, It should work fine, since all these platforms are based on 20819 chip.

Also, if you are planning for substantial amount of development, I would recommend you to get an appropriate EVAL kit as well, since it provides more flexibility in testing and debugging. Please check the https://www.cypress.com/products/ble-bluetooth .

Thanks,

-Dheeraj

Dear Dheeraj,

Thanks a lot !

Best Regards,

LUTHFI AD

0 Likes