Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
GrCa_1363456
Level 6
Level 6
25 solutions authored 50 likes received Beta tester

I would appreciate any knowledge to affirm Infineon's technology supports active cell balancing, recommend methods and advise against pitfalls.

Infineon directly supports Passive Cell Balancing with TLE9012
I believe Infineon's technology can support Active Balancing. I'd prefer to start with existing knowledge on techniques.

Note: Infineon refers to active and passive cell balancing on page 15 of a document, "Hybrid Electric and Electric Cars, Electromobility driven by Semiconductor Innovations" https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Hybrid%20Electric%20and%20Electric%20Cars_BR_2015b.pdf?fileId=5546d461...

For Reference, a clear discription of the differences between Active and Passive balancing can be found on the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs website.
"There are two basic approaches to balancing: Passive balancing drains charge from cells having too much charge and dissipates drained energy as heat. Active balancing moves charge from “high cells” to “low cells,” attempting to conserve energy in the battery pack.", Dr. Gregory L. Plett. http://mocha-java.uccs.edu/ECE5720/ECE5720-Notes05.pdf

Greg

0 Likes
1 Solution
ChandraKachana
First question asked 25 replies posted 50 sign-ins

@GrCa_1363456 

Sorry to say this, currently Infineon doesn't have any solution for the active cell balancing  and for the time being you can refer TLE9012/TLE9015 web pages for more details regarding passive cell balancing.

Let us know if you need any other information regarding passive cell balancing solution.

Thanks & Regards,
Chandra Kachana.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ChandraKachana
First question asked 25 replies posted 50 sign-ins

@GrCa_1363456 

Sorry to say this, currently Infineon doesn't have any solution for the active cell balancing  and for the time being you can refer TLE9012/TLE9015 web pages for more details regarding passive cell balancing.

Let us know if you need any other information regarding passive cell balancing solution.

Thanks & Regards,
Chandra Kachana.