ICE2HS01G Operation

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
dev_ss
Level 2
Level 2
50 sign-ins 5 likes given 10 replies posted

Hi Folks,

I am working on ICE2HS01G , half bridge LLC Controller, I have connected the circuit as p0er the reference design. However, I am unable to get Vref of 5V at pin 9. I am giving a Vcc of 13V, internally vreg of 5v and Vdd should be generated as per the data sheet, but I am facing issue there. Because of it there is no 4V on ENA pin and no output on Lg and HG pins. 

Please guide if any one had faced similar issue.

Thank you

0 Likes
1 Solution
dev_ss
Level 2
Level 2

Hi Neo,

Thanks for your contribution. I was able to operate the IC using DC biasing.

Thank you,

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies
Neo_Qin
5 likes given 250 replies posted 250 sign-ins

Hi @dev_ss ,

According to your description, the IC appears never be actived. When powerup, have you observed the voltage on Css (or SS pin) with an oscilloscope?

May I know which Evaluation Boards as your reference, and could you provide your schematic for us?

Regards,

Neo

0 Likes
dev_ss
Level 2
Level 2

Hi Neo,

I have checked voltage on SS pin across Css, it is 0V . I am refereing following application note by Infineon. https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/evaluation-boards/eval_2kw_48v_char_p7/

According to schematics I have probed across C65 on page 49.

WhatsApp Image 2023-01-10 at 10.48.24.jpeg

0 Likes
Neo_Qin

Hi @dev_ss ,

Sorry about the late reply.

The peak voltage of Vss is about 1.8V, almost reaches the internal 2V reference voltage. The duration is around 5ms? I guess. At the very least, this proves that the chip is indeed trying to startup.

The datasheet has the following descriptions about soft start:

1) Soft start is implemented by sweeping the operating frequency from an initial high value until the control loop takes over. This initial switching frequency should be high enough so that the resonant current at first pulse can be limited within the desired value.

So, it's recommended that you do not set the initial frequency too low, please check whether the following resistors are reasonable: Rfmin, Rtd, Rocp and Rreg.

Neo_Qin_2-1673430279264.png

2) According to the description in the green box, OCP protection is unlikely to occur in your application, will other protection be triggered? Please confirm it.

3) What about the VINS pin? If the voltage on VINS pin is lower than the threshold Vinson, IC will never start normally.

Regards,

Neo

0 Likes
dev_ss
Level 2
Level 2

Hi Neo,

Thanks for response. The following are the values I have connected. These are as recommended from application note.

Rtd = 270k

Rfmin = 27K

Rocp = 6.2K

Rreg = 3.3K

The Vins is around 4.5V.

I am unable to understand the fact that why Vref of 5V is not getting generated, as it is guaranteed by the design. i am geting 0V at Vrefg pin too.

0 Likes
Neo_Qin

Hi @dev_ss ,

You are right. Refer to the block diagram, when an appropriate voltage is applied to VCC pin, the internal 5V0_REG will start, and the corresponding 5V appears in Vref Pin.

I think the voltage on Vref Pin appeared briefly, otherwise, it is impossible to explain the pulse voltage on SS Pin.

Can you confirm that the onboard ICE2HS01G is a good one? Ever tried replacing it with a new one?

Neo_Qin_0-1673509738673.png

Neo

0 Likes
dev_ss
Level 2
Level 2

Hi Neo,

I have checked IC from pin to pin with multimeter it didn't show any short with ground. Do know if there is any testing circuit to check the working of IC or any SOP?

As Vref is not getting generated it is quiet possible that Vdd supply is also not getting generated, which is i/p to almost all the internal circuits of IC. 

0 Likes
Neo_Qin

Hi @dev_ss ,

We don't have such testing circuit to offer.

Here is a ICE2HS01G 400V in/12V&25A out online simulation module for your reference:

https://design.infineon.com/tinademo/tina.php?path=EXAMPLESROOT%7CINFINEON%7CApplications%7CIndustri...

I'm still working on it to figure it out.

dev_ss
Level 2
Level 2

Hi Neo,

Thanks for your contribution. I was able to operate the IC using DC biasing.

Thank you,

0 Likes
Neo_Qin

Hi @dev_ss ,

Glad you've solved the problem and let us know.
Thank you for using Infineon products, we will be glad to work with you in the future as well.

Regards,

Neo

0 Likes