Comparison of topologies for charger Hybrid flyback vs LLC

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
NXTY_Miyashita
Level 2
Level 2
Distributor - NEXTY (Japan)
10 questions asked 25 sign-ins 5 replies posted

I would like to know the possibilities of LLC topology in charger applications.
In the whitepaper at the following URL, there is a description of the main LLC position, but it is not mentioned in the topology comparison in Table 1.
Can someone add LLC to this table?

https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-Gallium_nitride_A_full_GaN_solution_for_high_power_density_ch...

NXTY_Miyashita_1-1661935845416.png

NXTY_Miyashita_0-1661935460954.png

0 Likes
1 Solution
ShifangZ_26
10 likes given 250 sign-ins 1000 replies posted

Hello ,

LLC  topology in USB-C charger applications, if your question is based on USB-C power adapter (Since you are referring whitepaper of USB-C page, I guess you are looking for this), LLC topology  is not the best topology, since USB-C power adapter is wide and dynamic output requirements, for example, fixed voltage of 5V, 9V, 15V, 20V, 28V, 48V, and SPR range 3.3V -31V with 10mV units per step, EPR range with 20mV units per step.  If LLC topology have to selected, the output need additional DC/DC transfer for USB-C requirements.  For 65W -240W, Infineon will update it by end of Nov, and PFC + Hybrid Flyback, PFC + Active-Clamp Flyback will be introduced. 

For feedback of adding LCC introduction in write paper,  we will feedback to owner of this documentation. Please kindly subscribe this documentation. 

Best Regards,

Lisa

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
ShifangZ_26
10 likes given 250 sign-ins 1000 replies posted

Hello ,

LLC  topology in USB-C charger applications, if your question is based on USB-C power adapter (Since you are referring whitepaper of USB-C page, I guess you are looking for this), LLC topology  is not the best topology, since USB-C power adapter is wide and dynamic output requirements, for example, fixed voltage of 5V, 9V, 15V, 20V, 28V, 48V, and SPR range 3.3V -31V with 10mV units per step, EPR range with 20mV units per step.  If LLC topology have to selected, the output need additional DC/DC transfer for USB-C requirements.  For 65W -240W, Infineon will update it by end of Nov, and PFC + Hybrid Flyback, PFC + Active-Clamp Flyback will be introduced. 

For feedback of adding LCC introduction in write paper,  we will feedback to owner of this documentation. Please kindly subscribe this documentation. 

Best Regards,

Lisa

0 Likes
NXTY_Miyashita
Level 2
Level 2
Distributor - NEXTY (Japan)
10 questions asked 25 sign-ins 5 replies posted

Hello,

Thank you for your response.

Thank you also for your feedback to the document owner. I will subscribe to this paper.

I also agree that LLC is not the best topology for dynamic output requirements.

Best Regards

Satoshi

0 Likes