performance improvement to run in PSPR

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
User19977
Level 2
Level 2
5 replies posted 5 questions asked First reply posted
Hi there,

the cpu load is a little bit high. I am thinking to run some tasks out of PSPR. What performance improvement should I expect comparing running from PFLASH?

Thanks,
Ke
0 Likes
6 Replies
User19977
Level 2
Level 2
anybody knows
0 Likes
Andrew_Q
Level 1
Level 1
5 replies posted 5 sign-ins First like received

if you have caches enabled, then in my personal opinion you will not get any performance gain.

0 Likes
Epistemon
Level 2
Level 2
5 replies posted First like received First reply posted
0 Likes
User19977
Level 2
Level 2

what is the use case for PSPR then?

0 Likes
Epistemon
Level 2
Level 2
5 replies posted First like received First reply posted

As per Table 2 in the document link, the use case for PSPR: 

"Used for deterministic and performance critical code (e.g. DSP Algorithms, OS)"

This is on the basis that it doesn't have any wait-states compared to running from flash. It seems reasonable to try it out given the relative ease of moving the code to PSPR using the linker script.

@Andrew_Q is expressing a personal view which seems to counter the advice in the document but that's his view.

It seems no one can give you any outright performance improvement figures so you should probably measure the improvement yourself using the tips in Section 2.2 of the document.

0 Likes
Andrew_Q
Level 1
Level 1
5 replies posted 5 sign-ins First like received

is absolutely right! You need to check each individual case.  In my case, I tested one core that works with flash memory. If you are using a lot of cores, then porting the code to PRPS will have an effect. Or you are using large computational algorithms that force the cache to be flushed. But how much?

0 Likes