Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
banc_4015711
Level 1
Level 1
10 sign-ins First like given 5 sign-ins

Hi Infineon team,

For gigabit ethernet connectivity, We are planning to interface SAK-TC397XX-256F300S BD MCU with KSZ9897R PHY chip via the RGMII interface. Could you please clarify on the following queries?

KSZ9897R Data Sheet (microchip.com)

1. Since the ethernet switch chip complies with RGMII 2.0 standard, Can we expect the MCU chip to recognize the switch/PHY out of the box provided RGMII interface is enabled and PHY address is configured?
Our understanding is we can use the pre-existing software implementation for RGMII with minimal or no changes. Please confirm.

2. We noted in the EVM (KITA2GTC3975VTRBSTOBO1) that the GREFCLK pin of the MCU chip is connected to CLKOUT of the PHY chip. Is this connection necessary? Does this signal need length matching with RGMII RX group(input to MCU) in the PCB?

3. Could you please share information on tested PHY/switch chips with this MCU if available?

Thanks,
Balaji

0 Likes
1 Solution
Jeremy_Z
250 sign-ins 100 likes received 750 replies posted

Hi @banc_4015711 ,
1) Can we expect the MCU chip to recognize the switch/PHY out of the box provided RGMII interface is enabled and PHY address is configured?
-- I think it's available to make it.
2) Our understanding is we can use the pre-existing software implementation for RGMII with minimal or no changes.
-- Basically, I agree with your idea, during porting software code, it needs to update the module software driver if you use other MCU other than TCxx before.
3) We noted in the EVM (KITA2GTC3975VTRBSTOBO1) that the GREFCLK pin of the MCU chip is connected to CLKOUT of the PHY chip. Is this connection necessary?
-- Yes, it's necessary.
3) Could you please share information on tested PHY/switch chips with this MCU if available?
-- It uses the RTL8211F on the Triboard EVK board to demonstrate the GETH function.
BR,
Jeremy

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
Jeremy_Z
250 sign-ins 100 likes received 750 replies posted

Hi @banc_4015711 ,
1) Can we expect the MCU chip to recognize the switch/PHY out of the box provided RGMII interface is enabled and PHY address is configured?
-- I think it's available to make it.
2) Our understanding is we can use the pre-existing software implementation for RGMII with minimal or no changes.
-- Basically, I agree with your idea, during porting software code, it needs to update the module software driver if you use other MCU other than TCxx before.
3) We noted in the EVM (KITA2GTC3975VTRBSTOBO1) that the GREFCLK pin of the MCU chip is connected to CLKOUT of the PHY chip. Is this connection necessary?
-- Yes, it's necessary.
3) Could you please share information on tested PHY/switch chips with this MCU if available?
-- It uses the RTL8211F on the Triboard EVK board to demonstrate the GETH function.
BR,
Jeremy

0 Likes