Release a push button by SW

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
hassna
Level 2
Level 2
25 sign-ins 10 replies posted 5 likes given

Hello,

I am new with Infineon technologies and programming. As far as I know, a push Button is normally connected to a GPIO. Is it possible to release the button by SW? If so, is there any constraint about the reference of the button to choose?

For example,  the following button can be released by SW: ZB5AA333 | Schneider Electric Round Green Push Button Head - Momentary, Harmony XB5 Series, 22mm Cut...

If I miss the good choice of the button reference, I am wondering if the button will get a low level even if it is not released physically. Or I can not.

0 Likes
1 Solution
TBencher
Level 6
Level 6
25 solutions authored 25 likes received 5 questions asked

Hi Hassna,

so I think that is not an issue. If you would define an internal state machine, which holds the current state of your discharge request and of course the charge level, you could easily stop the discharge process depending on the charge level if the 5% is reached. Further, you would need somehow a switch e.g. transistor, mosfet, relay, to disconnect the START button physically from your circuit to stop the discharge process.  Hence, you need a shunt where you can get the voltage level from, the ADC from your TC for that voltage level, a digital input for your Start button and finally a digital output for the above mentioned switch which is supposed to disconnect your start switch. You could also use your Start button as a pure request button which is just connected to the MCU and control the MOSFET for example from the MCU which then stops the discharge process. Many possibilities to do it.... 🙂

Best regards,

TBencher

View solution in original post

6 Replies
TBencher
Level 6
Level 6

Hi Hassna,

thanks for your question here. I've just read the data sheet of your button, but did not see any evidence for software release behavior. It is just a green flush pushbutton head Ø22 spring return. From my view, I really do not understand the sense of such a button. Please tell me more about your application.

Regards,

TBencher

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback.

Well, I am working on a system that is powered by a battery. I want the user to press the start button so that the battery can be discharged on a load. My concern is when the SOC is below 5%, I want that the button is released by SW in order not to damage the battery. For that, I am looking for the buttons with labels (for example START, .. ) that I can use.

I hope I could give an overview about the system.

Kind regards.

0 Likes
TBencher
Level 6
Level 6

Hi Hassna,

so I think that is not an issue. If you would define an internal state machine, which holds the current state of your discharge request and of course the charge level, you could easily stop the discharge process depending on the charge level if the 5% is reached. Further, you would need somehow a switch e.g. transistor, mosfet, relay, to disconnect the START button physically from your circuit to stop the discharge process.  Hence, you need a shunt where you can get the voltage level from, the ADC from your TC for that voltage level, a digital input for your Start button and finally a digital output for the above mentioned switch which is supposed to disconnect your start switch. You could also use your Start button as a pure request button which is just connected to the MCU and control the MOSFET for example from the MCU which then stops the discharge process. Many possibilities to do it.... 🙂

Best regards,

TBencher

TBencher
Level 6
Level 6

Hi Hassna,

regarding shunt where you normally get the current as a voltage level, you could also just use a voltage divider which makes maybe a little bit more sense here.

Best regards,

TBencher

Thanks a lot.

Kind regards.

0 Likes
TBencher
Level 6
Level 6

You're welcome.

Best regards,

TBencher