RTC on The Evaluation Board - AURIX™ Infineon Controller TC3X7

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
hassna
Level 2
Level 2
25 sign-ins 10 replies posted 5 likes given

Hello, I hope you are doing well.

I want to use the  MCP79511/MCP79411 on the Evaluation Board KITA2GTC3975VTFTTOBO1 to get the current time and date (For example hh : mm : ss  && MM/DD/YYYY). My concern is when the Board is powered off and then powered on again, could I be able to get the "real/ exact" actual time and Date? If it isn't the case, is there any method to get the actual date and time even after powering off the Evaluation Board?

I would appreciate it if you could share your experience with the Real-Time Clock/Calendar on TC3x family MCUs.

Looking for your feedback.

Kind regards.

Hassna

0 Likes
1 Solution
Di_W
500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Dear Hassna,

If you use standalone RTC chip, you should give a battery to power it, then if the AURIX MCU is power-off/standby, the RTC chip is still running.  SPI interface is used to access the RTC chip, you can refer to SPI demo code of AURIX for read and write.

Actually, you can treat the RTC as a SPI device, whenever the system needs the Clock or Calendar, just to wakeup RTC chip and read from it.

https://github.com/Infineon/AURIX_code_examples/tree/master/code_examples/ASCLIN_SPI_Master_1_KIT_TC...

dw

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Di_W
500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Dear Hassna,

If you use standalone RTC chip, you should give a battery to power it, then if the AURIX MCU is power-off/standby, the RTC chip is still running.  SPI interface is used to access the RTC chip, you can refer to SPI demo code of AURIX for read and write.

Actually, you can treat the RTC as a SPI device, whenever the system needs the Clock or Calendar, just to wakeup RTC chip and read from it.

https://github.com/Infineon/AURIX_code_examples/tree/master/code_examples/ASCLIN_SPI_Master_1_KIT_TC...

dw