Question Regarding Flash protection TC397 and BROM

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lord_feistel
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

Hello,

I bought an evaluation board KIT_A2G_TC397_5V_TFT . I doing some experiments and some question rose up

I saw there is the BROM ( Boot Rom ) which proposes to be a read only memory where I can put my program. I understood in the TC397 it is a range of address which goes from 8FFF 0000H - 8FFF FFFFH or AFFF 0000H - AFFF FFFFH as stated in the User manual item 2 Memory Map

Questions :

1. All of it is in the same flash memory ?
  2. When I inspect my elf file memory my boot is going to address 80000... it means it can be ovewriten correct ?
  3. Are there ways to protect memories from overwrite which are located outside the BROM ? I mean if i want to put a code outside of the BROM and protect it, it it possible ?
  4. I saw flash write protection can be achieve via software, is it possible to do it when I flash the firmware ? doing the flash behave as a ROM ?

Thank you so much ,

Best Regards,

Antonio
0 Likes
1 Solution
Nambi
500 replies posted 50 likes received 5 likes given

Hi,

1. BootRom is different from Flash memory.
2. The memory range mentioned by you here is unclear. BootRom cannot be overwritten.
Could you specify the complete memory range being referred to here?
3. Are you referring to PFlash protection? You can also configure the protection in UCB(ucb_pflash) for it to be effective after the start-up software.

Best Regards.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Nambi
500 replies posted 50 likes received 5 likes given

Hi,

1. BootRom is different from Flash memory.
2. The memory range mentioned by you here is unclear. BootRom cannot be overwritten.
Could you specify the complete memory range being referred to here?
3. Are you referring to PFlash protection? You can also configure the protection in UCB(ucb_pflash) for it to be effective after the start-up software.

Best Regards.

0 Likes
lord_feistel
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

Hello Thank you so much for the answer,

I understood some points now ! But another questions rose up

I understood the Boot Rom is different from the flash, but also I understood that I can do an OTP in the flash blocks and achieve a non-writer / Read status correct ?

In this case what is the advantage to use the BROM and not the PFlash memory ?

Suppose I put the begin of my program in the flash and record it as OTP it cannot be change correct ? so it will have the same effect of put my code in the boot rom ?

I understood OTP is permanent correct ? if there is an error in the code at certain Pflash position (which was marked as OTP) I will need to put the microcontroller in the trash is that correct ? then why you told it only take effect after the
startup ?

thank you so much for your time and patience

Best Regards,

Antonio

0 Likes
Basil_Mathai
25 replies posted 5 solutions authored 50 sign-ins

Yes your understanding regarding OTP is correct.

BROM only have read access and comes with SSW from Infineon and can't be modified by the user.

I understood OTP is permanent correct ? if there is an error in the code at certain Pflash position (which was marked as OTP) I will need to put the microcontroller in the trash is that correct ?
>> Correct, if ucb_otp is in unlocked state then we can modify the configurations. Once any of the UCB_OTP is confirmed, it cannot be modified. which ever sector is OTP, it cannot be changed
then why you told it only take effect after the

startup ?
>> it will take effect only after next reset after the configurations are applied.

0 Likes