Post Mortem Debugging of Target Aurix 2G device by connecting the Debug Probe

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
User9635
Level 4
Level 4
50 replies posted 50 questions asked 25 replies posted
Hello Support,

In Aurix 2G, I want to connect the Debugger Probe physically to the Target ECU for Post-Mortem Debugging and then start the Debugger Application on Host PC to complete the Hot Attach.
I know I can perform Hot Attach the Debugger Application to the Target ECU without any problem for In-Situ debugging activity.
But I want to understand if I can perform Hot-Plugging of the Debugger Probe [MiniWiggler/DAS or iSystem Active/Passive Debug Probe or Lauterbach Trace-32/Debug-POD] and then perform the Hot-Attach of the Debugger.
Please confirm if Hot-Plugging of Debug Probe is possible for Aurix 2G by design.
4234.attach

Best Regards
0 Likes
4 Replies
NeMa_4793301
Level 6
Level 6
10 likes received 10 solutions authored 5 solutions authored
Hot attach requires DAP, so TRST must be de-asserted at startup (i.e., high - and note that TRST has an internal pull-up on the TC3xx, so this is the default). A design that defaults to JTAG (TRST low) cannot work with hot attach.

Plugging in the connector later is possible, but insert it carefully. On some connectors, it's easy to short PORST, which will reset the AURIX.
0 Likes
MoD
Employee
Employee
50 likes received 500 replies posted 100 solutions authored
With miniWiggler, you can perform Hot-Plugging to DAP connector. For iSystem and Lauterbach I expect this also but to be sure contact the probe manufacturer.
0 Likes
User9635
Level 4
Level 4
50 replies posted 50 questions asked 25 replies posted
Hello Support,
Before I connect the miniWiggler to the Target ECU, AURIX is running with OSTATE.OEN=0 as shown below from Power On Reset Value from OCDS User Manual.
So, when I perform Hot-Plugging of miniWiggler to the target device while it is running, then automatically OSTATE.OEN=1 will become even though PORST Line is not activated [remaining HIGH].
Is that correct assumption?
I am assuming OSTATE.OEN=1 is required to view the internal register contents and memory contents of the AURIX using the DAS/Trace-32/winIdea software.
I am assuming OCDS block is always disabled when Debugger is not connected from Power On Reset because JTAG Block is in Reset State.
Please let me know if this Hot-Plugging feature is well-tested at Infineon using minWiggler and DAS without any adverse effect especially from reliability perspective, so that I don't destroy my target device while performing Hot-Plugging action.
4237.attach

Best Regards
0 Likes
NeMa_4793301
Level 6
Level 6
10 likes received 10 solutions authored 5 solutions authored
Hot plugging alone will not cause the debug system to activate. When the debugger issues commands to activate DAP, OSTATE.OEN then becomes 1. Note that OSTATE.OEN will remain 1 even if the debugger is removed, until a warm or cold power on reset occurs, or if OCDS is deactivated by software.

Hot attach carries some risk of ESD, as does every connection to the PCB. Follow best practices such as grounding straps, anti-static mats, etc. to ensure you don't carry a static charge directly to the debug pins.

You will be the millionth user to use hot attach - the road is well traveled.
0 Likes