Announcements

Equip yourself to optimize AURIX™ MCUs for Evs at the EV Webinar. Click here to register.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

AURIX™ Forum Discussions

Not applicable
Hello all,

A little background - I am an electrical engineering intern in an electric motorbike company.
I was given an Infineon Hybrid-Kit for HybridPACK 2 Enhanced power module, and I am trying to 'communicate' with the microprocessor TC1767 on board.

My questions are:
-What software can I use to programme the microprocessor and through what protocol/cable?
-Also, what other extra boards/pheripherals do I need?

I am really confused here, as I have never done any system level design/integration before.
Any help is appreciated.
Thank you very much for your kind assistance.
0 Likes
35 Replies
gunnarhs
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 5 replies posted First reply posted
You can find all on Infineon.com (search works fine)

Links:
Hybrid kit 2.0 version 1.3 (50 pin connector)
https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-AN2014_08_Hybrid_Kit_for_HybridPACK2-AN-V02_04-en.pdf?fileId=...

This is the info site for Tricore 1767
Here you can find documentation and Video about the main processor on the logic board.
https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/microcontroller/32-bit-tricore-microcontroller/audo-family/t...

And this the Tools section, here you can download the Software if it is not on your CD provided with the Hybrid kit.
https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/microcontroller/32-bit-tricore-microcontroller/audo-family/t...

With the Hybrid kit comes a CD which normally includes 3 main Components for getting known to the board and tools:
1) MotorControl.exe (for Windows XP or older)
This communicates through the old (9-pin) serial port of your PC (RS232 )with the 34-Pin / 50-Pin interface of your board (pin count is depending on Version)
Here is an example of connector:
https://www.ehitex.de/application-kits/infineon/2488/external-connector-cable-for-hybrid-kit
You will need to buy it (on eHitex.de for example) or make it yourself. if you have no 9-pin Serial interface (RS232) you need also to buy a RS232 to USB-converter.
The MotorControl.exe Software communicates with an onboard existing Demo - program (if existent) which can drive a small Motor if connected.
2) Dave Bench Tricore1767Dip-files and Demo-code. This are files which the Dave-Eclipse-Studio from Infineon uses to configurate the TriCore-processor.
3) Some basic info and doc describing the Hybrid kit

What you need to get when programming your own code is:

1) Software Developer Platform for Developing and testing the Demo-Code.
I recommend the DaveBench - Platform together with the Dave-Eclipse-Studio from Infineon.
(the DaveBench uses the dip-files to generate c++ code from preconfiguration, which can be used in the Dave Eclipse Studio)

You can download the Dave-Studio at the above links together with the Hightec-Tool - chain which helps compiling and linking the code to a hexfile.

2) A connector to the board to download the hexfile to the tricore-processor

Two possibilities:
a) Going Serial through the 34-/50 pin connector, this is the same connector as used for the MotorControl-Software above
(https://www.ehitex.de/application-kits/infineon/2488/external-connector-cable-for-hybrid-kit).
After that you have a lot of painful possibilities to download the hex files with the flash-tools / bootstrapper
https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/AP3213211_TriCore_AUDO_F_Bootloader.pdf?fileId=db3a30431d8a6b3c011d960...
I would not use this interface for continuous programming, only for external communication like with the MotorControl.exe Software on PC or other devices, external CAN-bus etc)

b) Going through the JTAG 16 pin X3OCD-Interface
This is the way to go if you are developing your own code for the Tricore and you want to download often to test it on the Hybrid Kit Board
You can use the DAP-miniwiggler (Dave-Studio has excellent DAP-support) through USB-interface
https://www.ehitex.de/zubehoer/2276/dap-miniwiggler (be sure to buy the one with the 16 pin X3OCD-Interface-connection)

3) To test the exaamples provided with the Kit use a motor with encoder/Hallsensor/GMR for a drive application
see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sw_kEm-3H7Y

Best regards, Gunnar
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi Gunnar,

Thank you very much for being so generous with your knowledge and expertise.

From this website as given by you, https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/microcontroller/32-bit-tricore-microcontroller/audo-family/t..., I don't actually understand the various tools & software.
My knowledge is pretty limited - I am an undergraduate (year 3) intern. As such, are there any materials that gives me an overview of the various tools & software?

I have downloaded the Dave-Eclipse-Studio, which I believe is an IDE for writing codes to the TC1767 uP. However, I am unable to understand what the DaveBench Tricore1767 Dip-files and tools are used for. It seems to be able to generate .dav files which I have no idea to what the purpose is.
Also, I do not see any demo codes which I can try out.

Quote from you: "2) Dave Bench Tricore1767Dip-files and Demo-code. This are files which the Dave-Eclipse-Studio from Infineon uses to configurate the TriCore-processor."
When you say configure, do you mean configuration at the application or firmware level of the uP?

I am sorry for asking really low-level (dumb) questions as my knowledge is seriously very limited.
I have no idea how to piece the pieces of this puzzle together - I do not know how to connect the dots from software to firmware to physical connections and protocols/standards.
Please advise me on any materials which I can read to understand more about the whole embedded systems.
Thank you very much. Your help is deeply appreciated.

Cheers!!
0 Likes
gunnarhs
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 5 replies posted First reply posted
Hi,

There are two tools the Dave (Bench) Visual configurator and the Dave Eclipse Studio
(might have changed in Dave version 3 but we will not be using that, we will use the version 2 which is at the Tricore site).
The Dave Bench is a visual configuration of the Microcontroller-Firmware settings which means that it generates code from your settings that is used for the Studio.
The dip-file is just a module for the Dave (Bench) that makes it possible to see the TC1767 option visually for configuration.
The .dav file which is generated (automatically) is just for the Dave (Bench) to remember the configuration status.
The most important thing for you is to let the Dave (Bench) generate the c/c++ files and headers for your project, choose the Hightec-compiler option.

You start by using the Dave (Bench) version 2 which has the Tricore support.
Download is at:
https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/microcontroller/development-tools-software-and-kits/dave-ver...
Edit: The correct Dave (Bench) .exe (or setup.exe) should be on your Hybrid Pack CD together with the "correct" Dipfile use this if possible as this will support your correct TC1767 (v.1.3. most likely)

After downloading/finding it run setup.exe or open Dave.exe directly if it exists (Just the Dave (Bench) not the Dave Eclipse Studio)
If you see an option for TC1767 in the Dave Bench then the Dip-file is already included (Note: It might still differ from the dip-file which came with the Hybrid kit, but lets wait there)

Start following this Video (nr. 7 !) which generates a config file for the Tricore Starter-Kit
https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/microcontroller/32-bit-tricore-microcontroller/?redirId=5459....
Do the same steps and generate the c++ files.
Then open your Dave Eclipse Studio (which includes the Hightec toolchain i hope) and compile the code.

I would recommend for you to buy the Tricore-Starter Kit (or any other Starter kit) just to get familiar with the process, especially if you have no experience.
The kit includes a board which has the DAP-miniwiggler (USB-connection) integrated, meaning you can directly communicate and send code through USB-interface.

Important: For the Tricore stuff, use a PC with older version of Windows if possible (Windows 7 is perfect)
Also use Dave (Bench) 2 and all the tools recommended at the Tricore page at Infenion I pointed you to for code generation.

Good luck.

PS: If someone asks you to write a Bootstrap-downloader dont do that , just buy the correct DAP-miniwigglar and use the JTAG interface.
(writing a Bootstrap-loader yourself was necessary 20 years ago, and my first task when I was working as Student in the automobile industry:) )
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi Gunnar,

Appreciated your help thus far.
May I trouble you for the very last time?
I am really struggling to the point whereby I am working on a Saturday.
I still have some questions.

Let me share with you what I understand first, so that you can see from my perspective. There are questions embedded into it as well. Here goes:
Software:
Set up the .dip file and then use DaveBench to configure the firmware settings. It is then followed by generating the C codes to be imported to a Toolchain. I am using the Audo Family Free Tool Chain, as the Dave-Eclipse-Studio cannot locate my Dave Project, which I do not understand why.
Using this Audo Family IDE, I can then compile codes into a file which can then be loaded into the uP. However, only TriBoards are available, not the Hybridkit board. How do I get over this? For loading of this file, I would need to use the Infineon Memtool, which only caters to the TriBoards as well.
I do not know how to get over this stage as well.

Hardware:
I can either programme the uP via JTAG or RS232 with the 50 pin connector. I am using the v1.3b version of the logic board.
I have no knowledge on the bootstrap-downloader and I do not understand what we are trying to do with that.
What are the differences of programming via JTAG/RS232?

Please enlighten me on the above.
Anyway, I am based in Silicon Valley, and I am willing to even do a meet up to get these sorted out.
I do not mind paying for the knowledge because I am too clueless as of now.
You can reach me at +1 650 215 0432.
Just drop me a text.
Thank you very much.
0 Likes
gunnarhs
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 5 replies posted First reply posted
Hi,

I try to answer as pointed as possible:

Set up the .dip file and then use DaveBench to configure the firmware settings. It is then followed by generating the C codes to be imported to a Toolchain.

1) Just open the Dave Bench Dave.exe (or setup.exe) (not the Eclipse - studio) Use the Dave.exe which came with the CD with your Hybrid kit.
This Dave.exe will read the dip-file which comes for the kit. you use the Dave.exe to generate the c/c++ code.

If you do not have the CD you have to download the Dave.bench legacy version 2 for Tricore at the previous mentioned tools site.

I am using the Audo Family Free Tool Chain, as the Dave-Eclipse-Studio cannot locate my Dave Project, which I do not understand why.

2) The Dave Eclipse Studio will not be able to use the Dave-Bench-Project, (.dav-file) only the Dave Bench tool will.
EDIT: However the new Hightec Eclipse Studio can import Dave-Bench-projects directly
Dave-Bench is a separate tool.
The only thing you will use in the Dave Eclipse studio is the c++/.h files generated in 1). you will have to add them manually.

Lets just start with step 1) you have the CD which came with the Kit?
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi Gunnar,

Yes, I have the CD. However, there is no software or .dip file on it.
As such, I have followed your guidance to download the DaveBench Legacy 2 and .dip files.
I am able to generate the C/C++ codes to be imported to the Dave-Eclipse-Studio.
However, I am stuck at this stage as Dave-Eclipse-Studio is unable to import in the C files.
Also, I could not find the kit (hybridkit) in the selection as attached. Or is there a way to create a general project? 2966.attach
Thank you.
0 Likes
gunnarhs
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 5 replies posted First reply posted
Ok some progress as you have now the c++ files. The Dave Eclipse Studio Project you are creating is however a XMC project which is based on the ARM Cortex and not the Tricore.
You need to make a empty or easy Tricore Project which is for Tricore 1767. After that you would add your generated files. So either you have a wrong Dave Eclipse Version or the Tricore Project option is missing?
Can you create other Project types than XMC?
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi Gunnar,

The version I have is Dave-3.1.10. It doesn't have any options for Tricore project. Is it the wrong version?
Also, I am currently trying to flash a hex programme onto the board. There are 2 options:
2967.attach
Can you explain the 2 options?
Thank you very much.
0 Likes
gunnarhs
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 5 replies posted First reply posted
Hi do you have a connection to the hybrid kit board or is it another board you are connected too?
I looked closer at the CD content and you are right it does not have the Dave. So you needed to download it
(I have probably done the same 5 years ago).
The CD has two .exe files one is a MotorControl.exe gui to communicate with the existing(!) program running on the Board.
The other will extract the code and hexfiles for the board.
The hexfile which is on the board is probably the same but do not count on it. So BEFORE flashing try to establish a connection with the board through the 50 pin connector.

It will not work with the XMC interface you are using so you need another (older?) version of Dave Eclipse Studio or a plugin in the new which supports TriCore 1767.
I will take a look at that and let you know.
EDIT: Infineon Dave Eclipse Studo does no support Tricore-devolpment (only code generation with Dave Bench)
You need a third party provider Hightec or Tasking for example.
Hightec offers a free Evaluation version with the Tricore starter kit seems it can be downloaded too:

1)http://free-entry-toolchain.hightec-rt.com/getting_started.pdf
Edit: This seems the newest version for the free Hightech-Toolchan
http://free-entry-toolchain.hightec-rt.com/ This works to get automatic download and licence in 2 -steps (registration and download)

2) Edit: This seems also to be a link for it (?)
http://www.hightec-rt.com/en/downloads/evaluation-version/21-tricore-aurix-development-platform-1/fi...
After registration I need manually to activate and get the licence-key
(Two small links directing me to
https://www.hightec-rt.com/en/support/license/evaluation.html
https://www.hightec-rt.com/en/support/license/activation.html
)



The interfaces have the two options of bootstrap or debug(Jtag) i would expect it to be the same options as I mentioned in previous post.
The bootstrap would go through the 50 pin connection the debug through the 16 pin ( with miniwiggler). However there could be more options mixing this modes.

I would recommend to try to start the MotorControl.exe to communicate with the kit. You need a Labview.dll to make it work and the 50 pin connection.

After the connection has been established you know that your existing connection is ok and then you can flash the Tricore with your own program.
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi Gunnar,

Appreciated your help thus far.

I have successfully powered up a hybrid kit board today (the logic board v1.3b).
You mentioned that there are 2 .exe in the disc. You are right.
However, other than the MotorGUI.exe, the other (AP32006i_Inverter_TC1767_v2.10.exe) is kind of a helpsheet/instructions. It does not seem to contain any .hex files. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I have downloaded the Hightec Toolchain via the link you given me from way above.
https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/microcontroller/32-bit-tricore-microcontroller/audo-family/t... under Free TriCore Tools then Audo Family Free Tool Chain.
However, there seems to be some problem with it when I hit the 'debug' button. (Launch failed. Binary not found).
Thus, I am trying to establish connection with it serially via the ASC BSL.
Also, can you explain why you mentioned that you would prefer to use the JTAG over the serial communication for programming purposes?
What is the advantage of doing so?

Thank you!! (:
0 Likes
gunnarhs
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 5 replies posted First reply posted
MedallionFlash wrote:

However, other than the MotorGUI.exe, the other (AP32006i_Inverter_TC1767_v2.10.exe) is kind of a helpsheet/instructions. It does not seem to contain any .hex files. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I did run the original AP32006i_Inverter_.exe and it did generate both documentation and code deep in some sub-folder(s). There are c++, files, .hex-file and one .elf-file.
If you do not have them I can send you an email with mine. Note: I might have a different version of Tricore 1767.


I have downloaded the Hightec Toolchain via the link you given me from way above.
https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/microcontroller/32-bit-tricore-microcontroller/audo-family/t... under Free TriCore Tools then Audo Family Free Tool Chain.
However, there seems to be some problem with it when I hit the 'debug' button. (Launch failed. Binary not found).

You need to build the Tricore-hex file first together with the .elf file. Have you tried that ? (Debug alone does nothing)...
Just try to import the Dave-Bench-Project generated from the Dave-Bench and compile/build it.
(It seems that the Hightec-Eclipse Studio supports importing Dave Bench projects for Tricore)
If that works let us stop here and go to the next step which is establishing communication to the board.

Also, can you explain why you mentioned that you would prefer to use the JTAG over the serial communication for programming purposes?
What is the advantage of doing so?

Infineon (and the other companies Hightec/Tasking) use mostly the DAP (Data Abstraction Layer/ Protocol) when programming and debugging the Flash-EEprom of the TC1767.
This helps the user to modify, test and debug the onchip - code (without having to emulate it with a simulator-software or emulator board)
You need though to have the DAP-mini-wiggler-USB-stick with the 16-pin -connector together with either the Hightech-Eclipse-Studio or other dev-tool to do so, this is with all the production boards
(on the evaluation boards like Tricore-Kit the DAP-mini-wiggler is included on the board).

Infineon provides a seperate DAP-software to analyze this, the DAS-Tool.
https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/promopages/das/?redirId=53841
Download the version 5 (elder version) and use it together with the (elder) DAP-mini-wiggler-USB (16 pin) to establish a communication between TC1767 and PC for testing BEFORE actually flashing and reprogramming the TC1767.


PS: The problem with using the Serial-interface for programming is:
1) You have to establish connection with the existing bootstrap-program on the Tricore. A bootstrap-program is a simple program that enables (serial) communication beween TC1767 and a external device (PC)
If the TC1767-Flash is empty, meaning there is no bootstrap-program, you have first to add a correct (!)bootstrap--hex-file to the chip at the correct(!) address, then establish bidirectional serial connection (ASC or CAN-Bus).
(A bootstrap downloader by the way is a program that installs the bootstrap-hex file at this correct address)
2) If 1) works then you can add your compiled application (hex-file) with the Infineon-Mem-tool or another tool in the Hightech-Eclipse-Studio.
3) You are not able to debug your application an the TC1767, you can only spy the serial interface, to check input/output.
Some chips support CAN-bus-debugging, TC1767 does not as far as I see.
4) You always have to reboot (power on/off) the hardware (and reset the dip-switches) when updating the program as far as i can see
5) DAP-support is really not existent over serial and very limited over CAN-bus.
6) If you have no 9-pin serial RS232 interface you need a serial to USB-converter, you have to config it to the optimal baud-rate/speed to make it work.

If you have not the DAP-mini-wiggler-USB-stick and must wait for it, you can try to start the Motor-Control.exe GUI and communicate through the serial interface with the Hybrid-kit-board just to check if the Motor-app-software (hex) is on the chip.
There might be tools in the Hightec-Eclipse-Studio or in the Infineon Mem-Tool to support serial-connection, you can try them out.
But do not flush anything until you are more sure what you are doing 🙂
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi Gunnar,

Thank you very much for the comprehensive guidelines.

I did run the original AP32006i_Inverter_.exe and it did generate both documentation and code deep in some sub-folder(s). There are c++, files, .hex-file and one .elf-file.


I couldn't seem to find any c++ files nor .elf files. There are however a couple of .hex files such as igmr.hex, parallel.hex, serial.hex, etc.
If you can send the files needed to me, my email address is desmondkhoo_92@hotmail.com.
I'm not sure of the version of my Tricore 1767, so I will just type in whatever numbers I see on the chip. "SAK-TC1767-256", "F133HL AD", "Infineon07", "ZA248036M05", "G1248".

You need to build the Tricore-hex file first together with the .elf file. Have you tried that ? (Debug alone does nothing)...
Just try to import the Dave-Bench-Project generated from the Dave-Bench and compile/build it.
(It seems that the Hightec-Eclipse Studio supports importing Dave Bench projects for Tricore)


I don't exactly know how to build the .hex file with .elf file. (I do not have the .elf file)
I am able to import the dav project into the Hightec-Eclipse-Studio and build the files by pressing ctrl+B.
However, I am not sure what this does, and I still couldn't debug it.
May I know what I am missing out on?
Also, what are the next steps?

Thank you.
0 Likes
gunnarhs
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 5 replies posted First reply posted
MedallionFlash wrote:


I couldn't seem to find any c++ files nor .elf files. There are however a couple of .hex files such as igmr.hex, parallel.hex, serial.hex, etc.
If you can send the files needed to me, my email address is desmondkhoo_92@hotmail.com.
I'm not sure of the version of my Tricore 1767, so I will just type in whatever numbers I see on the chip. "SAK-TC1767-256", "F133HL AD", "Infineon07", "ZA248036M05", "G1248".


Ok i will back-check the processor and send you the files when I am back home

MedallionFlash wrote:

I don't exactly know how to build the .hex file with .elf file. (I do not have the .elf file)
I am able to import the dav project into the Hightec-Eclipse-Studio and build the files by pressing ctrl+B.
However, I am not sure what this does, and I still couldn't debug it.
May I know what I am missing out on?
Also, what are the next steps?

You will not be able to debug anything yet.
If the build (Ctrl-B) was done with no error (you can see it in the console window in your Eclipse), then 2 files have been created, one .hex-file and one.elf-file
Should be in a subfolder of your Eclipse workspace, the name should be the same as of your Project.
Note: This file can do nothing as you have not entered any usercode in the main.c function.
Back-check if you see it somewhere.
0 Likes
gunnarhs
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 5 replies posted First reply posted
Seems like the generated .h files are missing, you have to import them manually if it is not done automatically.
The #include - reference could also be wrong, meaning they are in an unreferenced folder.
What is the first error in the list?

PS: Sent you the generated code yesterday from my kit, it might give you some hint but wait to add it until you have made successfully your own from the generated Dave-Bench-project in Hightec Eclipse Studio.
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi Gunnar,

This is the most updated post.

1) There's no .elf and .hex file from the file you emailed to me. Not sure if I'm missing out on anything.

2) The errors persist. I have re-generated the codes from DaveBench and imported them to HighTech Eclipse Studio. The headers are in, but the error persists.

2976.attach
2977.attach
2978.attach

May I know what the next step is to get this thing working?

3) Also, as I'm attempting serial communication with the TriCore via TTL RS232 of 3.3V, I received a bunch of unreadable, garbage characters when connected.
There is no information in the TriCore Manual.
However, with the help of a logic analyser, figured out that there are 9 databits, no parity and 1 stop bit. This is really strange, and it is logic low when idle. Any idea on this?

Thank you.
0 Likes
gunnarhs
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 5 replies posted First reply posted
Hi you should not to be demoralized about this. The Tricore stuff is as hard as it gets in matter of Embedded Programming and lack of Open Source support.
Just let you know that on a project 6 years ago we decided to bypass it and used an upgraded 8050 (XC878) to control the power stage of the Hybrid Kit.
The one thing you need is getting more comfortable with the Eclipse Studio in C using the GNU compiler (it is not really c++ we are using here).

Which makes a good reason to rest here 🙂
Best regards Gunnar

Edit : I did not see your must recent update until now. I will answer in next post...
0 Likes
gunnarhs
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 5 replies posted First reply posted
MedallionFlash wrote:


1) There's no .elf and .hex file from the file you emailed to me. Not sure if I'm missing out on anything.

The files are in the subfolder "Out/Flash".
Be sure that your Windows File Explorer is not hiding them

2) The errors persist. I have re-generated the codes from DaveBench and imported them to HighTech Eclipse Studio. The headers are in, but
May I know what the next step is to get this thing working?

Ok thanks for the update this looks like a version conflict of Tricore lib in Hightec and generated stuff from Dave.
In worst case we would need an older version of Hightec not sure if support will be free.
Let me take a quick look at it

3) Also, as I'm attempting serial communication with the TriCore via TTL RS232 of 3.3V, I received a bunch of unreadable, garbage characters when connected.
There is no information in the TriCore Manual.
However, with the help of a logic analyser, figured out that there are 9 databits, no parity and 1 stop bit. This is really strange, and it is logic low when idle. Any idea on this?

What serial tool software are you using for communication?
Can you establish connection with Infineon Mem tool or U-Spy?
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi Gunnar,

I found the .elf and .hex files.

What serial tool software are you using for communication?
Can you establish connection with Infineon Mem tool or U-Spy?


I cannot establish any connection with Memtool.
The way I am doing serial connection is this:
Connect a USB/RS232 TTL 3.3V from the computer to the TX and RX pins on the board, as well as ground.
Provide 12V to the board, and ground the analog and digital ground together.
Then, I use TeraTerm to try to read from it.
From a file which you shared - https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/AP3213211_TriCore_AUDO_F_Bootloader.pdf?fileId=db3a30431d8a6b3c011d960..., I used RealTerm to try to send a null character to it, in hope of receiving 0xD5 according to page 4 of the document.
However, I have failed to receive anything.

Also, from another link which you shared - https://www.ehitex.de/zubehoer/2276/dap-miniwiggler, I am based in Silicon Valley, but this is in euro. I am wondering if the new version DAP MiniWiggler V3 with 20 pins have backwards compatibility and will be able to be used with HybridPACK 2?
The v1.3b only has a 16 pin JTAG pinout. However, my question is whether we can actually connect the new DAP MiniWiggler V3 manually with wires to the 16 pins.
This is because it is really hard to find the DAP MiniWiggler V2, which is already obsolete and not in production anymore.

Thank you for your expertise.
This is really frustrating and it is seriously bugging me even over the weekends and in my sleep.
0 Likes
gunnarhs
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 5 replies posted First reply posted
MedallionFlash wrote:

I found the .elf and .hex files.

Ok, great, it would be better though if you would have your original. Sure you have not similar files from your stuff? You can send me the zipped folder of yours...
By the way the code I sent you is written and compiled with Tasking compiler (version 2.5.x). So it will not work directly with Hightec.
However the .hex and the .elf file in the OUT/FLASH-folder should work for import onto the board, with Infineon -Mem tool.
But do not do anything yet with MEM-tool as it seems that the Software is already on the Board.

Also, as I'm attempting serial communication with the TriCore via TTL RS232 of 3.3V, I received a bunch of unreadable, garbage characters when connected.

I cannot establish any connection with Memtool.
The way I am doing serial connection is this:
Connect a USB/RS232 TTL 3.3V from the computer to the TX and RX pins on the board, as well as ground.
Provide 12V to the board, and ground the analog and digital ground together.
Then, I use TeraTerm to try to read from it.


This is actually great news this means that the connection works and the Software is on the board (or at least part of it)
Just be sure that you are cross connected meaning that RX from your USB/RS232 TTL 3.3V is connected with TX on the Tricore Board and vica versa.
Also check the baudrate of your terminal-connection and the protocol
2981.attach
I did upload an example of terminal connection (see screenshot above).
If you restart the board and plug in again you should receive the Info text (again?).
If it is readable, you can communicate with the board through the Tera Terminal via shell (serial)
You could also try the MotorControl.exe gui (must install old Labwiew stuff with it)
EDIT: Leave the dip-switches in the same position as original, do not change anything there

Also, from another link which you shared - https://www.ehitex.de/zubehoer/2276/dap-miniwiggler, I am based in Silicon Valley, but this is in euro.
I am wondering if the new version DAP MiniWiggler V3 with 20 pins have backwards compatibility and will be able to be used with HybridPACK 2?
The v1.3b only has a 16 pin JTAG pinout. However, my question is whether we can actually connect the new DAP MiniWiggler V3 manually with wires to the 16 pins.
This is because it is really hard to find the DAP MiniWiggler V2, which is already obsolete and not in production anymore.
.

Note: The DAP/JTAG-interface is only for programming, it will come to use after we get control of the Eclipse stuff...
I found a thread regarding this, id did not work out for the guy to adapt the 20 pin to 16 Pin.
I will order the 16 pin connector next week and try it out, do not have it here in Iceland.
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi Gunnar,

Ok, great, it would be better though if you would have your original. Sure you have not similar files from your stuff? You can send me the zipped folder of yours...


I have emailed you the file from my infineon disc.

However the .hex and the .elf file in the OUT/FLASH-folder should work for import onto the board, with Infineon -Mem tool.


I am trying to resolve the error which I shown in the previous post currently. Please let me know if you find out anything or if it's a software backwards incompatibility issue.
Also, I am not sure what to do with the .hex and .elf file which you have sent me. Please guide me along.

Just be sure that you are cross connected meaning that RX from your USB/RS232 TTL 3.3V is connected with TX on the Tricore Board and vica versa.


2987.attach

The above is how I connected.
Digital and analog GND are grounded together and then connected to the GND of the converter. TX and RX are connected to RX and TX respectively. 12V is provided to the white wire. Black wire is ground.

You could also try the MotorControl.exe gui (must install old Labwiew stuff with it)
EDIT: Leave the dip-switches in the same position as original, do not change anything there


I do not know anything about the MotorControl GUI so I have not try anything with it. Also, it seems like I would need a motor and external items for it to work so I guess I shall skip this for now.
I have tried the various dip-switches configurations but to no avail, such as 10101xx0 (ASC BSL) and 00000010 (booting from flash). It seems like 10101xx0 is the right one, however I receive nothing when in this configuration.
I only receive garbage characters when the dip-switches are in 00000010 (booting from flash).

I found a thread regarding this, id did not work out for the guy to adapt the 20 pin to 16 Pin.
I will order the 16 pin connector next week and try it out, do not have it here in Iceland.


Please don't do this. Don't spend your own money on this. I will just buy the one with the 16 pins. I couldn't find any datasheets for the DAP MiniWiggler V2 as infineon seemed to have removed it. I saw that thread as well regarding the incompatibility of the V3 with V2.

Once again, thanks so much for helping.
0 Likes
gunnarhs
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 5 replies posted First reply posted
MedallionFlash wrote:
Hi Gunnar,
I have emailed you the file from my infineon disc.

Great stuff thanks. This could save us days.


I am trying to resolve the error which I shown in the previous post currently. Please let me know if you find out anything or if it's a software backwards incompatibility issue.
Also, I am not sure what to do with the .hex and .elf file which you have sent me. Please guide me along.

I will take care of the code. The hex-file / .elf is already on board as it seems so we do not need to update it unless we have to change something.
It would be great if you could make the shell-communication work over USB/RS232 meanwhile with the existing software.


The above is how I connected.
Digital and analog GND are grounded together and then connected to the GND of the converter. TX and RX are connected to RX and TX respectively. 12V is provided to the white wire. Black wire is ground.

It looks right as far as I can see


I only receive garbage characters when the dip-switches are in 00000010 (booting from flash).

This is the right one, as the program we want to communicate with should be in the flash, the "Garbage" is most likely the intro text which comes at the start of the shell.
(the other would be right if the chip was empty)
Have you compared your settings with the one I sent you in last post?

If the settings are right then the reason for garbage can be:
1) Wrong encoding (maybe not UTF-8)
2) Wrong speed (I assume you have the right baudrate 115000 i think)
In the device-manager whcih controls the USB/serial converter there is sometimes a speed ramp which can be adjusted both for RX and TX
You could start by setting medium speed for both (but keep the baudrate 115000)
2988.attach2989.attach
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi Gunnar,

Have you compared your settings with the one I sent you?


Yes, I have followed your settings religiously.
However, in my attempt to send the null character to the device, I have tried many different configurations of the DIP switches.
As such, I seemed to have corrupted the bootstrap loader. I cannot even receive any garbage characters now.
How do I go about downloading the original bootloader into it?
0 Likes
gunnarhs
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 5 replies posted First reply posted
MedallionFlash wrote:
Hi Gunnar,
As such, I seemed to have corrupted the bootstrap loader. I cannot even receive any garbage characters now.
How do I go about downloading the original bootloader into it?


Set the dip switch back to original postion (which is most likely 00000010.
Then restart the board (switch the 12 Vpower off and set it on again).
Do not attach any higher voltages, meaning leave the power board unloaded.
Leave the PC connected with open Tera-terminal (be sure that this is the only terminal listening...)
0 Likes
gunnarhs
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 5 replies posted First reply posted
Ok, close and open the Tera-terminal again.
Be sure that no other device (Mem-tool) or other is using the serial port.
I am quite sure that you did not corrupt anything if you just did send some zero bytes.
If still nothing comes, close the TeraTerminal again and use the MotorControl.exe instead.
It will help you determine if the serial port connection is OK, if you can log in the main page after selecting the right com-port.
(you will also be able to do some settings but not much)
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi Gunnar,

You are right.
I am able to receive garbage characters again.
Have tried your settings but still getting garbage.
How did you get such human readable information?
0 Likes
gunnarhs
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 5 replies posted First reply posted
It is not my screenshot it is something i found on the internet it is actually from a newer kit.
I have not connected the serial interface for long time last when I did was with motorcontrol.exe.
I used Windows XP which is not unicode based but has a specific CP -1252 encoding.
The computer crashed 2 times the last 5 years and part of the disk was unrecoverable.
I only restored what was needed for my XC878 which was my main controller board. I
did never much on the Tricore board but now I want to refresh it before it gets total legacy:)
So i went back to the forum to refresh my skills and well there we are.

But back to our problem we have to make our garbage readable.
I need following info from you

1) Version of Windows your PC is running
2) Confirmation that your dip-switch is configured for Flash 00000010 do not change it.
3) Screenshot of your terminal with the crap preferabely.

You could try
1) Change the advanced settings of the USB/RS232 com-port in the devicemanager to lower speed, see previous post
2) Change the encoding settings in the Tera terminal settings from utf-8 to cp1252 or iso 8859-1 (latin1), see previous post
3) Type "help" in the terminal window and press "return" on the keyboard.
4) Make motorcontrol.exe running
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi Gunnar,

1) Version of Windows your PC is running
2) Confirmation that your dip-switch is configured for Flash 00000010 do not change it.
3) Screenshot of your terminal with the crap preferabely.


1) My windows is 8.1, Version 6.3.9600 Build 9600.
2) The configuration is 11111101 - booting from flash (not 00000010 sorry I read wrongly initially).
3) 2992.attach

1) Change the advanced settings of the USB/RS232 com-port in the devicemanager to lower speed, see previous post
2) Change the encoding settings in the Tera terminal settings from utf-8 to cp1252 or iso 8859-1 (latin1), see previous post


1) Have tried speed at 9600 but still couldn't work.
2) The only other encoding in TeraTerm is UTF-8m for coding(receive). There is no selection for coding(transmit). Tried it as well.
I also have putty and realterm installed and can be used if you think they are helpful.

3) Type "help" in the terminal window and press "return" on the keyboard.


Will try this now.

4) Make motorcontrol.exe running

I have no problem opening this. However, nothing is happening when I click on "Connect to Controller".
2993.attach
What do you mean by making it run?
0 Likes
gunnarhs
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 5 replies posted First reply posted
MedallionFlash wrote:

My windows is 8.1, Version 6.3.9600 Build 9600.

Ok, I assume you have the 64 bit version it is more common.
Are your default settings american local?


The configuration is 11111101 - booting from flash (not 00000010 sorry I read wrongly initially).

Whatever works to load the code from the Flash, it seems to work as far I see it 🙂
The main function in the Flash starts with writing a long text and this seems to be it.
So this is OK


Have tried speed at 9600 but still couldn't work.

Change the speed bar (only for your connected USB/RS232-device) to 50%, in the Windows-device-manager see picture
2994.attach
(sometimes it is called oversampling and is also configurable in the terminal clients and is usually set to 16, check it too there and set it half,say 😎
Then switch power off and on again for "Garbage" collection...


2) The only other encoding in TeraTerm is UTF-8m for coding(receive). There is no selection for coding(transmit). Tried it as well.
I also have putty and realterm installed and can be used if you think they are helpful.

Try another client (remember to close Tera Term first, only one client at once)
In the code -description they recommend Hyperterm.exe.
Preferabely use one which is default in ascii-encoding


What do you mean by making it run?

It is running and shows that port connection is OK, that is what we needed to know 🙂
(the other stuff will be set later when Motor and powerstage are connected)

My MotorControl.exe does only run with old Labview Stuff, would need yours if you can pass it to me...

By the way did the "help" command generate some more text (Garbage?)
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi Gunnar,

Yes, the default settings are american local.

I have tried your suggestions, but I still collected garbage.

The help command does not generate anything.

I have emailed you the MotorControlGUI.

I cannot connect to the MotorControlGUI. It showed that the port is active as long I connect the USB to serial converter. It still shows 'active' even when I unplug the USB/serial converter from the logic board of the hybrid pack. Hence, I deduce that a connection has not been established between the board and the computer.

If there's anything else left to try, please let me know.

Also, thank you for assisting me this far. It really meant a lot.
0 Likes
gunnarhs
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 5 replies posted First reply posted
MedallionFlash wrote:

I have emailed you the MotorControlGUI.

Thanks a lot. I did email you back an old tool named uspy which I am not sure that works now but worked well for me when I was debugging serial communication with XC878 years ago.


It still shows 'active' even when I unplug the USB/serial converter from the logic board of the hybrid pack. Hence, I deduce that a connection has not been established between the board and the computer.

What happens if you unplug the USB/Serial converter and close the MotorControl Gui and open it again, does it then still show green? i.
If so then the GUI is ignoring the Shell-command of the controller.



If there's anything else left to try, please let me know.

First dont change any switches or connections on your board and PC. (only do Power on/off)
Just focus on the existing serial communication, I am very sure that the connection is on and that the program inside the (main) flash is starting and sending you the big info text.
The problem at the moment is that for some reason the communication stops and this is a known problem especially for USB/RS232 converters with terminal-programs.
I would proceed in this order:
1) Restart the power again and watch the crap coming in to the terminal (do this for all the terminal programs you have and try to use ascii-mode if that is possible)
Also try this terminal out out https://www.hilgraeve.com/hyperterminal-trial/. be careful, only have one terminal client running at once.
2) Try to use the U-SPY program I sent you , try it standalone at first (with all other clients closed) to read the crap data coming after power-up and try to see if the PC answers.
3) Try to run U-SPY together with another client in following order (to see what goes between controller -board and PC)
a) Start another terminal client.
b) Then start U-SPY
c) Then re-power the controller-board.

If above does works then you could try this (dont forget to re-power controller board between tests)
1) PC with older System (Windows XP preferabely)
2) Another type of USB/Serial converter.
3) Turn off the FIFO-buffer in the Device-manager (yes I know I am getting out of ideas...:) ).
2994.attach
Remember to turn the buffer on back again it this does not change anything...

Also, thank you for assisting me this far. It really meant a lot.

You are welcome and it is also an inspiration for me to work with you on this after 5 years of absence facing new environment 🙂

PS: USPY could detect the problem for this controller, the problem was related to Windows7
https://www.infineonforums.com/threads/478-xc878-with-other-serial-terminal-application?
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi Gunnar,

USpy cannot detect anything at all.

What happens if you unplug the USB/Serial converter and close the MotorControl Gui and open it again, does it then still show green?


It will not be able to choose the com port and not enter the main screen.

I have tried your suggestions but nothing worked.

Anyway, when we create a new project in the IDE, we were asked to select the core (TC1767) and then a board (EasyKit, TriBoard, etc).
Why is this so? Is the code generated specific to the board?

Also, please let me know when you have time to test out the code generation regarding the .hex/.elf files and whether there are any conclusions from there.

I seem to hit a wall and I have no more idea on how to move forward with this.
0 Likes
gunnarhs
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 5 replies posted First reply posted

USpy cannot detect anything at all.

Ok this is indeed bad news. This means it does not work for the newer Windows versions as i feared.
It seems to work for Windows 7 according to user thread but unclear if for 64 bit version.
Edit: I saw that the new Dave Eclipse 4 (which supports the XMC -series based on ARM - Cortex) has a tool called XSpy, maybe that will work with newer Windows.
This tool can aslo be downloaded extra as it seems (not found it yet)


It will not be able to choose the com port and not enter the main screen.

Yes sorry this was a stupid and wrong question on my half.
I really wanted to know what happened if you close the Motorcntrol-GUI , take the power off the controller-board
and open the Motorcontrol-GUI again if the serial connection light is still green even if controller bard is shut off
(But USB/RS232 still connected to board and PC)


Anyway, when we create a new project in the IDE, we were asked to select the core (TC1767) and then a board (EasyKit, TriBoard, etc).
Why is this so? Is the code generated specific to the board?

Yes. In the perfect world we would have a similar option for the hybrid-kit board too. Or at least we could import it as a existing Dave Project as i hoped first.
Unfortunately we have only the generated code but at least specific for hightec and tasking in your code.
They have also precompiled for us 3 major configurations (serial parallel etc).
This means that we have fewer things to reconfigure hopefully if we would change something regarding configuration.
However if we would change configuration following steps would be necessary:
Open the 1767-dip file with Dave. Change the configuration in the visual editor and regenerate the code.
Then we have to manually transfer the changes to the Hybrid kit code and recompile it in Hightec Ide.
Note: This is still easier than learning correct register settings from the Tricore manual for the hundreds of possible configs.
And now the best part: To trick the new and only Hightec Evaluation Eclipse, which is only valid for 30 days for the legacy TC1767
we have to create a standard avalailable 1767 project, delete the generated files we are not using manually , then add our files and recompile all.
Not sure though that all which is used in the Hybrid Kit is supported in the Evaluation Version.


Also, please let me know when you have time to test out the code generation regarding the .hex/.elf files and whether there are any conclusions from there.

This weekend as I must make a decision regarding Tricore.
I must set up a PC in Windows 7 then download the Hightec Evaluation Version on this exact PC.
(Unfortunately Windows 7 is the only Windows I do not have ready , I have XP, 8 and 10.)
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi Gunnar,

I will await your news then.
Also, you can actually find me on Facebook with that email given and we can connect if you want to.
Who knows I may be of help to you in the future haha.
Thank you very much.
0 Likes
gunnarhs
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 5 replies posted First reply posted
MedallionFlash wrote:
Hi Gunnar,

I will await your news then.
Also, you can actually find me on Facebook with that email given and we can connect if you want to.
Who knows I may be of help to you in the future haha.
Thank you very much.


Ok thanks sent you an email...
0 Likes
gunnarhs
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 5 replies posted First reply posted
2706.attach

Managed to compile the generated files from our Dave-Bench test to .elf (hex-file)with the new evaluation Hightec-Eclipse-Studi- Ide from your link.
I had though to add extra 1767 files to make it work as they were missing in the Tricore Toolchain include (surprisingly the library had the object files needed).
The existing examples for 1767 board (no standalone 1767 project available) can be compiled to hex .elf (hexfile) only because they include precompiled existing objects.

There seems not to be full support for legacy TriCore-Versions (176x family) in the High-Tec Tricore Toolchain which is at http://free-entry-toolchain.hightec-rt.com/.
However it can be used for one year for free, but full functionality is only for new Tricore 2x-family and no extra support.

Strangely at the other link which I used first (https://www.hightec-rt.com/en/support/license/evaluation.html) I did only get an automated email (not code for download).
However I was offered a version with full functionality and full support but for only 30 days. I would really prefer that, I have to wait until Monday most likely until sales-team sends me the download version.

Edit: The only difference is that these are two steps;
After registration I need manually to activate and get the licence-key
(using the evaluation product key i got in the first step, retyping email etc, and adding extra info like MAC-adress)
https://www.hightec-rt.com/en/suppor...ctivation.html
On the first sight this package looks exactly like downloaded in the previous link, with limited support for one year.

Edit: I replied with an extra request to the email i received on Sunday and got today an answer with a 30 day evaluation version from Hightec (which should include full support)
Will test it out, really exited about this.
0 Likes