How to unlock debugger in Aurix TC397

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Operation001
Level 2
Level 2
First like received First solution authored 10 sign-ins

Hi,

Im not able to program my TC397 Mc, looks like the debugger has been locked 

Screenshot (8).png

 This is the page that I get on the MemTool, I have tried all three ways to access the target but it fails to connect. Is there a way I can unlock the debugger

Thanks

1 Solution
Karishma_S
50 solutions authored First comment on blog 250 sign-ins

Hi @Operation001 ,

You can use the HWCFG configuration (boot from HW pins) to unlock the debug interface. For more info on HWCFG, please refer to the TC3xx user manual.

As mentioned in the KIT_A2G_TC397_5V_TFT manual, pin 14.3 maps to HWCFG[3], pin 10.5 maps to HWCFG[4] and pin 10.6 maps to HWCFG[5]. In order to use these pins for alternate boot mode (Generic Bootstrap Loader), ground the pins 10.5 and 10.6, and assembling resistor R142 with 2K2 (drive P14.3 / HWCFG3 low). This results in HWCFG[3] = 0, HWCFG[4] = 0 and HWCFG[5] = 0 which implies boot from HW pins vis generic bootstrap loader.

After doing the above connections, use memtool with the following configurations:-
Select the target configuration as TC39x (BSL/ASC). Then go to target -> setup -> select access device as COMx : Infineon DAS JDS COM and enable 'remember device name'.

KarishmaShaik_0-1678788927572.png

Try to connect after ensuring all the above settings are done properly. This should unlock the debug interface, after this disable the read protection (which lead to debug lock).

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Jeremy_Z
1000 replies posted 250 sign-ins 100 likes received

Hi @Operation001 ,
Thank you for your interest in Infineon Semiconductor products and for the opportunity to serve you.
I was wondering if you can introduce the hardware platform, further, has it ever worked well, and what has changed recently before the issue arises?
BR,
Jeremy

0 Likes
Operation001
Level 2
Level 2

Yes @Jeremy_Z ,It is a kit_a2g_tc397_5v_tft the hardware was working well before, I was experimenting with Pflash memory protection and was able to enable write protection using Memtool but when I enabled read protection on it my debugger got locked and got the above message, also when I power the device my led D106 is continuously high.

0 Likes

Hi,

if u enabled Read protection, the debug interface will also be locked. You can check user manual chapter 6.5.4.4

with D106 led always active, /ESR0 is activated. Therefore the device does not exit SSW and it is considered bricked. Cannot connect to device anymore. 

0 Likes
Jeremy_Z

Hi @Operation001 ,
Thanks for your reply.
Firstly, programming an UCB may result in a state where DDE can't be connected to the controller anymore.
Next, maybe you can try using the UART interface in the case of Generic Bootstrap mode.
Lastly, the UDE memtool provides the logs, and can you share it?

2023-03-14_15h05_01.png
BR,
Jeremy

0 Likes
Operation001
Level 2
Level 2

Hi @Jeremy_Z ,

When I try to configure it using UART Im getting the following message 

Screenshot (9).png

the actions that were done before on the memtool hasn't been logged, only the ones mentioning that it couldn't connect to target is present.

Regards,

0 Likes
Karishma_S
50 solutions authored First comment on blog 250 sign-ins

Hi @Operation001 ,

You can use the HWCFG configuration (boot from HW pins) to unlock the debug interface. For more info on HWCFG, please refer to the TC3xx user manual.

As mentioned in the KIT_A2G_TC397_5V_TFT manual, pin 14.3 maps to HWCFG[3], pin 10.5 maps to HWCFG[4] and pin 10.6 maps to HWCFG[5]. In order to use these pins for alternate boot mode (Generic Bootstrap Loader), ground the pins 10.5 and 10.6, and assembling resistor R142 with 2K2 (drive P14.3 / HWCFG3 low). This results in HWCFG[3] = 0, HWCFG[4] = 0 and HWCFG[5] = 0 which implies boot from HW pins vis generic bootstrap loader.

After doing the above connections, use memtool with the following configurations:-
Select the target configuration as TC39x (BSL/ASC). Then go to target -> setup -> select access device as COMx : Infineon DAS JDS COM and enable 'remember device name'.

KarishmaShaik_0-1678788927572.png

Try to connect after ensuring all the above settings are done properly. This should unlock the debug interface, after this disable the read protection (which lead to debug lock).

Operation001
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks @Karishma_S for your response, I had assembled resistor R142 with 2K2 and tried to configure it through memtool but was unsuccessful to connect to the target. I wasn't able to find how to ground the pins 10.5 and 10.6 as these aren't a part of the GPIO pins. It would be great if you could elaborate on how to set these pins to 0, also do I need to remove the R133 resistor?

Thanks BR,

0 Likes
Jeremy_Z

Hi @Operation001 ,

For the KIT_A2G_TC397_5V_TFT, it needs to do more work to set the P10.5 and P10.6 to GND besides removing or adding resistors, as this board doesn't leave the HW Boot Configuration button for allowing the developers to set, as the Triboard does.
So you'd better refer to its schematic to modify the board.

2023-03-17_10h12_35.png

BR,

Jeremy

0 Likes
Operation001
Level 2
Level 2

Ok, Thanks @Jeremy_Z and @Karishma_S  for assisting and guiding through this issue.

BR,

0 Likes