How does Flash Error Correcting Code (ECC) work ?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Not applicable
We are using TC29x Microcontroller. The flash size is 6Mbytes. There are Three banks, 2Mbyte each. Program Flash 0 (PF0) is bank 1. Program Flash 1 (PF1) is bank 2. Program Flash 2 (PF2) is bank 3.

PF0 address range is: 0x8000 0000 - 0x801F FFFF
PF1 address range is: 0x8020 0000 - 0x803F FFFF
PF2 address range is: 0x8040 0000 - 0x805F FFFF

Where is Program Flash ECC stored. Is it within 6Mbyte ? Or is there additional storage space for ECC that we don't have access to ?

How does Flash ECC work ? For how many bytes of data, how many bytes of ECC are there ? Whenever we write to flash, ECC updates? When we erase flash ECC updates?

How is it possible to create Flash ECC Error ? Because everytime you write or erase flash, ECC will update?
0 Likes
6 Replies
User77504
Employee
Employee
10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins 5 replies posted
Hi jani,

the PFLASH is organized in 256bits data + 22bit ECC to correct every single or double bit failure (SECDEC). It also detects 100% of 3-bit failures. Every time you read something from the flash the 256bits+22bit ECC are read validated seamlessly in the background. I would recommend to register at myinfineon.com and get yourself a copy of the application note AP32274 Functional Safety Library which contains also a chapter about the Flash and explain how to inject errors to test the that the correction works fine. BR, Martin

Hi Musiol,

I not able to find the application note "AP32274 Functional Safety Library ".

Could you please post the link here? Thanks in advance. BR. Michael

0 Likes
Not applicable
Thank you for very helpful response. so each 22bit ECC space is not part of 8MB Flash Memory Size.

Our Flash Memory Size is 8MB. This does not contain ECC space?
0 Likes
User11514
Level 1
Level 1
jani wrote:
Thank you for very helpful response. so each 22bit ECC space is not part of 8MB Flash Memory Size.

Our Flash Memory Size is 8MB. This does not contain ECC space?

Even I have the same question . where is this 22 bit ECC present for each 256bit
0 Likes
User90191
Level 1
Level 1
First question asked First like received 5 sign-ins

Hi,

can someone upload the AP32274.

Mel

User77504
Employee
Employee
10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins 5 replies posted