High Speed Debug/Communication for AURIX

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
User18504
Level 3
Level 3
Hello,
What would be the options for High Speed Debugging and Communication for the AURIX controllers?
I am refering to an application that needs a very fast feedback loop where the SW can't be stopped during runtime as this will affect the functionality,
but still relevant data needs to be seen online and recorded in order to assess the functionality.
Is there a dedicated interface that can be used only for development, and then removed for series production, and which HW Interface would be used in this case.
I think CAN is limited to 1Mbaud so it would very easily become overloaded.
The JTAG/DAP interface if very fast, but can the variables be traced without stopping the SW?
The Ethernet interface should be also faster than CAN, but is it reliable enough?
Of course there are also available protocols and Tools for Calibration/Measurement like XCP that is already implemented in the MCAL, but these protocols need also specialized
tools/SW.
0 Likes
4 Replies
User16286
Level 4
Level 4
First like received
bbogdanmircea wrote:
Hello,
What would be the options for High Speed Debugging and Communication for the AURIX controllers?
I am refering to an application that needs a very fast feedback loop where the SW can't be stopped during runtime as this will affect the functionality,
but still relevant data needs to be seen online and recorded in order to assess the functionality.
Is there a dedicated interface that can be used only for development, and then removed for series production, and which HW Interface would be used in this case.
I think CAN is limited to 1Mbaud so it would very easily become overloaded.
The JTAG/DAP interface if very fast, but can the variables be traced without stopping the SW?
The Ethernet interface should be also faster than CAN, but is it reliable enough?
Of course there are also available protocols and Tools for Calibration/Measurement like XCP that is already implemented in the MCAL, but these protocols need also specialized
tools/SW.

You probably used Ethernet to post this message, so you should have personal experience whether it is reliable enough for your use case.

Toshi
0 Likes
NeMa_4793301
Level 6
Level 6
10 likes received 10 solutions authored 5 solutions authored
Many AURIX variants have an emulation device available, with Extended Memory (EMEM) for instruction and data tracing. The higher end emulation devices have an Aurora Gigabit Trace (AGBT) interface that allows streaming debug data at 2.5 Gbps. Emulation devices work with very specialized tools and software.

DAP can operate up to 150 MHz, but is not 100% transparent, as it uses the AURIX internal buses to move data. It's often good enough for pulling data off of the AURIX without stopping the CPUs.
0 Likes
User18504
Level 3
Level 3
Thanks for the answer.
Unfortunately the device that I will use has no Emulation Device, so the Trace option is a no go.
I guess that DAP remains as an option, at 150MHz it should be fast enough to provide enough bandwidth.
Does the MC-ISAR provide some package for debugging which can be accessed with XCP or DAP and how would the connection be done in this case?
0 Likes
NeMa_4793301
Level 6
Level 6
10 likes received 10 solutions authored 5 solutions authored
The MCAL does not include anything for DAP, because DAP is a debugger protocol that is transparent to the running application (though it does have a performance impact).

In this context, you typically provide an ELF file to the tool, and the tool translates that into periodic reads of memory locations via DAP or JTAG.

Check with Infineon's tool partners under "Tools and Software" / "Calibration / Data Measurement / Rapid Prototyping":
https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/microcontroller/32-bit-tricore-microcontroller
0 Likes