Flashing and Debugging using a Pre-Built HighTec Toolchain ELF file Output in Aurix Design Studio

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Michael_Krueger
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First like given First question asked

Hello,

I am trying to use Aurix Design Studio to flash and debug a pre-built application that uses the HighTec Compiler tools. Basically I want to use Aurix Design Studio as a flash/debug tool just using an ELF and source files from the build.

I have purchased the TC367 evaluation board (KIT_A2G_TC367_5V_TRB_S). I have set it up and built/debugged several of the example projects using the included Tasking toolchain.

In order to Flash/Debug my existing HightTec project I created a C/C++ project. I then wanted to force the Debug Configuration to use my pre-built Elf file (See Snapshot #1). The Debug configuration states the binary file (HighTec) is not supported. From the documentation I know that if it is not a CDT project I have to choose the binary parsers( See Snapshot #2). I believe I have chosen the correct parsers but I have tried most combination with no success.

Does anyone know the Parser required for a HighTec Toolchain ELF file. The linker file has the following command:  OUTPUT_FORMAT("elf32-tricore").

There is also a debug section in the linker that references Dwarf (GNU Dwarf 1,1.1,2).

One final note. As a test, I used this C/C++ project to just flash the S-Record from the HighTec build. I selected the S-Record for the binary and chose the S-Record file parser. It accepted the file and flashed it. I was able to run and use the assembly debugger to step through the code. I used the map file to verify the addresses matched the application I flashed.

Snapshot #1: Replace Binary file with pre-built Elf

Michael_Krueger_0-1659028561251.png

Snapshot #2: C/C++ Build Properties->Binary Parsers

Michael_Krueger_1-1659028712069.png

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Michael

0 Likes
1 Solution
TBencher
Level 6
Level 6
25 solutions authored 25 likes received 5 questions asked

Hi,

I actually did not compare those ELF files to each other yet. There could be a standard, or not. I honestly don't know that.  But you are actually using two different worlds of compiler technology. I would not do that. As a workaround you could go for BiFaces rather than ADS and use the Free Entry Toolchain from HighTec. Then you could directly take the sources of your project, compile and debug it.

Best regards,

TBencher

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
TBencher
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

why are you using a prebuilt application? Aurix Design Studio is using an evaluation version of the Tasking compiler. So, you are trying to bring two different compilers together. I am afraid, that this will not work. Additionally, how should the debugger know how to hook up things in your prebuilt?

My recommendation would be as follows:

1st. Setup a new project inside ADS
2nd. Take the sources of your program -not the prebuilt-
3rd. Try to implement them into your project

With that you should be able to debug your program very easily.

Best regards,

TBencher

0 Likes

Hello,

Thanks for the feedback. I understand your answer but this would take a bit of work and would not be the same application the rest of my team is using. I am using this development board because it has the exact same micro and I can test some things that would operate the same as on the actual hardware (which I do not have).

I think I understand that you are saying the Aurix Development Studio does not decode the HighTec ELF binary?

On other micros (i.e. NXP, Renesas), I have been able to use their development IDEs to program an ELF file built by other members of the team and debug. The ELF should contain all the info for debugging. I would need other files of course (Source code at exact location of build, maybe the Map file, maybe the S19/hex file).

What is new to me is that there are different ELF formats from the compilers. It sounds like it does not support the HighTec format which is different from Tasking.

Regards,

Michael

0 Likes
TBencher
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

I actually did not compare those ELF files to each other yet. There could be a standard, or not. I honestly don't know that.  But you are actually using two different worlds of compiler technology. I would not do that. As a workaround you could go for BiFaces rather than ADS and use the Free Entry Toolchain from HighTec. Then you could directly take the sources of your project, compile and debug it.

Best regards,

TBencher

0 Likes

Hello,

Thanks for the info about BiFaces.  That is a really good idea and makes sense with regards to the HighTec format. I was looking into the Infineon tool DAVE (not sure if it supports Tricore) but the Infineon Tricore IDE looks better.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards,

Michael

0 Likes