Device Selection

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Narayana
Level 1
Level 1
10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins First like given

Hello, 

Is it Possible to control Traction Inverter And Compressor Motor with Single Controller with  ASIL D Level(Both PMSM motors)?

Share any related documents for reference.

0 Likes
1 Solution
µC_Wrangler
Employee
Employee
50 solutions authored 100 sign-ins 25 likes received

Hi Narayana.  The answer is far more complicated than a simple "yes".  I would consider the following:

• Motor control generally takes just a fraction of the AURIX bandwidth, so supporting two is easily possible.  I would consider freedom from interference and availability.  Does a fault in handling one motor lead to a fault in the other?  Is it okay if an overall microcontroller fault (uncorrectable RAM error, etc.) leads to shutting both motors down while the system recovers?
  • For two independent, safety-critical sets of outputs, you'd need to choose the I/O pins very carefully, to avoid as many package-related common cause failures as possible.
  • The microcontroller is just a small part of system safety argumentation, but its safety documentation is likely the longest because of the vast number of transistors and associated safety mechanisms.  A wise customer once told me the microcontroller was 10% of the overall FIT budget for an ECU.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
RupakC
100 solutions authored 250 sign-ins 25 likes received

Hello @Narayana 

Please look into the following for information on AURIX processors that may be suitable for your purpose:

https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/microcontroller/32-bit-tricore-microcontroller/32-bit-tricor...

You may find the documents in the product page under documents menu. 

Regards

RupakC

Any Application reference Data (With two PMSM Motor Applications)?

0 Likes

Hi Rupak,

Any Functional Safety issues will be there if we use the same controller for both  PMSM motors.

0 Likes
µC_Wrangler
Employee
Employee
50 solutions authored 100 sign-ins 25 likes received

Hi Narayana.  The answer is far more complicated than a simple "yes".  I would consider the following:

• Motor control generally takes just a fraction of the AURIX bandwidth, so supporting two is easily possible.  I would consider freedom from interference and availability.  Does a fault in handling one motor lead to a fault in the other?  Is it okay if an overall microcontroller fault (uncorrectable RAM error, etc.) leads to shutting both motors down while the system recovers?
  • For two independent, safety-critical sets of outputs, you'd need to choose the I/O pins very carefully, to avoid as many package-related common cause failures as possible.
  • The microcontroller is just a small part of system safety argumentation, but its safety documentation is likely the longest because of the vast number of transistors and associated safety mechanisms.  A wise customer once told me the microcontroller was 10% of the overall FIT budget for an ECU.