Can I use FOTA with TC332LP32F300F which has only one bank flash?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
minhtn15
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

Dear everyone,

I'm having a technical issue when trying to use FOTA with TC332LP32F300F (controller has 1 bank flash 2MB).

Can I split 1 bank to 2 partitions 2x1MB for memory swap purpose?

If above cannot, is it feasible for using external flash IC for FOTA? I have no idea how to run code on external flash with Aurix TC332 at now. Can anyone help me regarding this issue?

Best regards,

Minh Tran

0 Likes
1 Solution
cwunder
Employee
Employee
5 likes given 50 likes received 50 solutions authored

External serial flash can hold whatever combination of code/data however it can only be accessed as data by a cpu or DMA. There is not an execution path for code execution directly from a serial port. With the TC332 you can only execute code from memories that are connected to the PMI (internal Program Flash or PSPR as examples). The BSL needs to be resident in the internal program flash and the actual code that updates the PFlash needs to execute from PSPR. You cannot execute out of PFlash while the PFlash is busy with an operation (i.e. erase/program).

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
cwunder
Employee
Employee

The TC33x and TC33xED do not have the ability to split the PFLASH into two groups of banks, A and B because they only have one PFLASH bank. 

You can perform SOTA updates using an external flash connected to the QSPI for data access only. QSPI does not support execute in place memory (XiP).

In general you would implement a bootloader in you PFLASH that is capable to change the application (update or revert your application code in the internal PFLASH via the external serial memory).

0 Likes
minhtn15
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

Thank you for your response,

I have one question regarding "update or revert your application code in the internal PFLASH via the external serial memory", that means serial memory is only able to use for code storage, not execution? 

When we want to run new SW which is stored on external memory, FBL shall do update that SW to internal flash at first. Do I understand correctly?

Brs,

MinhTran

0 Likes
cwunder
Employee
Employee

External serial flash can hold whatever combination of code/data however it can only be accessed as data by a cpu or DMA. There is not an execution path for code execution directly from a serial port. With the TC332 you can only execute code from memories that are connected to the PMI (internal Program Flash or PSPR as examples). The BSL needs to be resident in the internal program flash and the actual code that updates the PFlash needs to execute from PSPR. You cannot execute out of PFlash while the PFlash is busy with an operation (i.e. erase/program).

0 Likes