CAN demo pins

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
User19462
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked
Hello,

I am using the CAN demo with AURIX™ Application Kit TC297 TFT (https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/evaluation-boards/kit_aurix_tc297_tft/)

The demo is configured to send one CAN PDU and receive another.

In my board I can see a physical port labeled CAN0, which has 10 pins.

What pins do I need to use with the CAN demo? I mean, I would like to receive the CAN pdu sent by the demo in another device, but I don't know which PINS the demo is configuring.

Thanks,
Francis.
0 Likes
5 Replies
NeMa_4793301
Level 6
Level 6
10 likes received 10 solutions authored 5 solutions authored
Hi Francis. Do you have the Application Kit manual?

3.9 MultiCAN
On the board is one CAN transceiver connected to the MultiCAN on TC2X7 node 0. The transceiver is connected to an IDC10 plug. For the pinout of IDC10 plug see Figure 5-5. You can use a IDC female connector with crimp connector, flat cable and SUB-D 9 plug with crimp connector to have a 1:1 adapter to SUB-D 9.

4241.attach

You can download the full manual on MyICP here:
https://myicp.infineon.com/sites/microcontrollers-aurix_customer_doc/Lists/MyICP%20Customer%20Docume...

The typical DB9 for CAN tools is like so (from kvaser's website):
4242.attach
0 Likes
User19462
Level 1
Level 1
Hello,

Thanks for your help. It has been very useful. I have one more question.

Do you know if I can connect CAN port of two AURIX™ Application Kit TC297 TFT directly, or do I need to add a resistor or any other kind of circuit?

Thanks,
Francis Merino.
0 Likes
NeMa_4793301
Level 6
Level 6
10 likes received 10 solutions authored 5 solutions authored
Per the schematic in the Application Kit Manual, it already has a 120 ohm resistor across CANL and CANH, so you should be good to go.

4263.attach
0 Likes
teoBits
Employee
Employee
5 sign-ins 100 replies posted 50 replies posted
fmerinotorres wrote:
Hello,

I am using the CAN demo with AURIX™ Application Kit TC297 TFT (https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/evaluation-boards/kit_aurix_tc297_tft/)

The demo is configured to send one CAN PDU and receive another.

In my board I can see a physical port labeled CAN0, which has 10 pins.

What pins do I need to use with the CAN demo? I mean, I would like to receive the CAN pdu sent by the demo in another device, but I don't know which PINS the demo is configuring.

Thanks,
Francis.

Hello fmerinotorres,

Did you try configuring the CAN module through the MULTICAN_1 example from here MULTICAN_1_KIT_TC297_TFT?
it is a very well commented and user friendly example, which also comes with a nice tutorial: MULTICAN tutorial.

If you are not using it yet, you can download the new AURIX™ Development Studio (it is free!) and directly download the example from here using the tool: File >> Import... >> Infineon >> "AURIX Development Studio Project", select "Infineon Code Examples Repository" and select the code example to be imported.

you can also get inspired by numerous other trainings from here: AURIX™ Trainings.

Finally, If you are not familiar with Eclipse based IDE’s checkout the Getting Started guide!

Hope it helps,
teoBits
0 Likes
User19462
Level 1
Level 1
Hello,

Thanks for your help. It has been certainly useful. I have tried the example MULTICAN_1_KIT_TC297_TFT and it works.
I can see the the loopback mode is enabled. In file MULTICAN.c

g_multican.canNodeConfig.loopBackMode = TRUE;

With loopback enabled I can see that as soon as I send a CAN message it is received.

I have tried to disable the loopback mode and connect two boards. One board sends CAN messages (by calling transmitCanMessage() ) and the other just checks if there is any message read. I have only changed in the example

g_multican.canNodeConfig.loopBackMode = FALSE;

for node 1 and node 2.

I have connected the CAN port of both board as indicated in the figure https://www.infineonforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4686&d=1588338543

I have connected pin2 to pin2, pin3 to pin3 and pin4 to pin4.

But I don't receive any message. And actually the sending of the message I get error code IfxMultican_Status_notSentBusy.

What else do I need to do to get two boards communicating over CAN?

Thanks for your help,
Francis.
0 Likes