Live Variables in Aurix Development Studio

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Markus4711
Level 3
Level 3
First like received 10 questions asked 10 sign-ins
Dear all,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum. So in case it isn't please point me to the right one.
Question: I'm using a TC375 ShieldBuddy board with the Aurix Development Studio. This IDE is supporting 'Live Variables Mode'. However I havn't find out how that should work.
I know this feature from other Eclipse based IDEs and those usually are able to display them if the variable is defined as a global variable. But his didn't help in Aurix Development Studio. Any ideas?

Best Regards
Markus
0 Likes
7 Replies
TBencher
Level 6
Level 6
25 solutions authored 25 likes received 5 questions asked
Hi Markus,

it depend what you are understanding with 'Live Variables Support'.
Is this meant to debug your program?

Normally you would need for runtime debugging, programs like UDE from PLS.
I am not quite sure whether this is currently implemented in Aurix Development Studio.

Regards,

Jens
0 Likes
Markus4711
Level 3
Level 3
Hi Jens,

I'm thinking about something that is available in many other Eclipsed based µC IDE that allows you to watch global variables while the program is running.
The variables that you chose to be watched gets updated continuously and displayed in any number format. Some IDE also allow to display them in a
graphical manner. Maybe that is now included in the Aurix Development Studio 1.4. I will check.
An alternative might be the OneEye Tool. However, I never worked with that tool so far.

Best Regards
Markus
0 Likes
TBencher
Level 6
Level 6
Hi Markus,

as far as I know you can only do debugging step by step with Aurix Development Studio.
But with the UDE tool from PLS you can definitely do real time debugging.
Maybe this functionality could be integrated in future versions of the Aurix Development Studio.
But the thing here is, that this tool (Aurix Development Studio) is only supposed for evaluation. Once, you decided to use the Aurix uC in your application,
you can buy all the professional tools that you need to develop e.g. Functional Safety compliant code.

And for this, it is not nice to have. You definitely need those tools to cut time to market and to be compliant to automotive standard for example.
It is always the same thing, if you have enough time and resources, you can
do nearly everything by yourself. It would be like a student with 30 years work experiences 😉

Please also check tools from Tasking and other related vendors.

Regards,

Jens
0 Likes
Markus4711
Level 3
Level 3
Hi Jens,

I'm fully aware of the usage and the quality to be expected from the Aurix Development Studio Toolchain. I'm mainly teaching in University context and therefore the Aurix Development Studio is fine for my use cases.
The 'Live Expressions' item is part of the Aurix Development Studio IDE and explicit mentioned in the v1.3 release notes. There is an icon available in the GUI but it doesn't show any action. So I guess it is at least on the 'todo' list for it. Event obviously not realised yet - or in an unconventional way that I haven't discovered yet.

Best Regards
Markus
0 Likes
TBencher
Level 6
Level 6
Hi Markus,

yes lets wait for future releases. But there are other ways to have realtime debugging experience also.
Anyway, in your University context it should be no problem for you to buy the Universal Debug Engine from PLS or something equal from Lauterbach.
There you have the full insight of what your uC is doing. It would be great for your students to see what professional tools are really capable of.

Regards,

Jens
0 Likes
Marillion
Employee
Employee
5 sign-ins First solution authored First like given

Hi,

I'm aware of at least two different methods to display the value of variables during runtime (global variable only) with AURIX Development Studio:
1) The TASKING Debugger provides a "Live Variables Mode" for global variables in the "Variables" View:

Marillion_0-1666699028427.png

2) Use the integrated OneEye Tool to observe, modify and watch variable values during runtime. You can create your own control GUI and assign variable to widgets (check boxes, bar gauge, clock gauge or a simple text box)

I believe that also the iSystem Debugger (integrated in ADS!!!) is also able to display variables during runtime, but I do not know, how this works. Could somebody help here?

Best Regards
Marillion

0 Likes