Excessive Index Time For Eclipse To Index AUTOSAR BswM.c

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Kier
Level 2
Level 2
5 replies posted 5 sign-ins First solution authored

Since there is no TASKING forum, I wanted to post a workaround to an indexing problem in the nearest relevant place.

I'm using TASKING 6.3r1 Eclipse GUI with TC38x, Infineon MCAL and Vector BSW Stack (MICROSAR).

Problem: TASKING (Eclipse) takes an excessively long time to index a particular file BswM.c. The indexing can take up to ten minutes assuming you don't run out of memory first:

Kier_0-1679653998248.png

I spent some time trying to find the cause but gave up for the moment at least. Perhaps it's something to do with MemMap.h.

Workaround:

Copy your current build configuration and call it something like 'Excludes BswM.c'. In that build configuration do just that and exclude that file from your build.

Make your usual build configuration active and in its Indexer options, select "fixed build configuration" as follows:

Kier_1-1679654092760.png

Now a full index rebuild takes less than minute. The downside of course is are missing index tokens from BswM.c and the maintenance headache of another build configuration.

If anybody has any other ideas please let me know.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Kier
Level 2
Level 2

The TASKING rep says that the next TASKING  TriCore compiler (6.4) update might :

- ...be later this year.

- ...use the same Eclipse version as the tool-chain for TC4x called SMARTCODE. This uses Eclipse Orbit 2019.

No guarantees of course but fingers crossed this issue goes away with the updated Eclipse.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Yuva
250 replies posted 250 sign-ins 100 solutions authored

Hello @User13836 

Could you please help here?

Thanks

0 Likes
User13836
Level 6
Level 6
50 likes received 50 solutions authored 100 sign-ins

I'm afraid this is an Eclipse 'feature'. You can consider to conduct an internet search using keywords like:

eclipse indexer slow

to locate information about other possible mitigations.

Best regards,

Ulrich Kloidt
TASKING tools support

0 Likes
Kier
Level 2
Level 2

Thank you. I've already done extensive Internet searches however it did remind me that I previously found an excellent root cause analysis a few years ago specifically tackling this AUTOSAR use case here:

https://blogs.itemis.com/en/improving-eclipse-cdt-indexer-performance

The issue was ostensibly improved/fixed in Eclipse Oxygen.1 (2017). However, I believe TASKING 6.3r1 is based on MARS.1 (2015) and AURIX Dev Studio is based on Eclipse from 2022. So it could be that this issue does not exist in ADS. I will need to test that.

I guess the remaining question in my mind is when does TASKING have a plan to update its Eclipse Platform to a version newer than 2017? I will raise a ticket with TASKING and report back here.

0 Likes
Kier
Level 2
Level 2

The TASKING rep says that the next TASKING  TriCore compiler (6.4) update might :

- ...be later this year.

- ...use the same Eclipse version as the tool-chain for TC4x called SMARTCODE. This uses Eclipse Orbit 2019.

No guarantees of course but fingers crossed this issue goes away with the updated Eclipse.

0 Likes