[wiced-sdk]Any way to compile/ debug wiced sdk with IAR-IDE?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Tiel
Level 1
Level 1
5 sign-ins First reply posted First question asked

Hello,

I want to know about below.

Q. Is there any way to compile/ debug wiced sdk with IAR-IDE?

Because I developed product based on iar-project and now I want to add wifi-feature using wiced-sdk.

When I just look at wiced-sdk source, it seemed not to have iar-project file.

Thanks for your answer in advance.

from Tiel

0 Likes
1 Solution
Murali_R
250 sign-ins 250 replies posted 100 solutions authored

@Tiel Yes you could use IAR toolchain.

Install the IAR toolchain, activate the license and use IAR=1 in your make target. This should compile the application using IAR toolchain in WICED if you are using either the 43438 or the 43364. If it is any other platform or if you are looking at porting the SDK onto IAR workbench, contact your local sales/marketing for support.

Let me know if anything else is needed.

Thanks

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
Murali_R

@Tiel Yes you could use IAR toolchain.

Install the IAR toolchain, activate the license and use IAR=1 in your make target. This should compile the application using IAR toolchain in WICED if you are using either the 43438 or the 43364. If it is any other platform or if you are looking at porting the SDK onto IAR workbench, contact your local sales/marketing for support.

Let me know if anything else is needed.

Thanks

0 Likes
Tiel
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks, Moderator.

I already checked what you said.

I confrimed I can compile with IAR on the console status as your guide.

but IAR-IDE has already convinient debugging features such as live-watch and other plug-in abilities to help debugging. I want to use those features on development. so I want to use IAR-IDE and trying to compile wiced sdk on the IAR-IDE to expedite develop time.  

I already contacted to local disributer(arrow-korea office)'s FAE and discuss with this issue. but they said they could not help about this issue becasue nobody know about wiced sdk and cypress products.

now I am trying to port wicedsdk source to iar-ide environment on my free time, but I still have many errors with iar-ide. so I raised this issue on your thread.

I don not know how many developers want to port wiced-sdk to IAR-IDE, but if possible,  I hope you port this.

Best Regards,

Tiel

0 Likes
Murali_R

@Tiel Please get in touch with your Infineon point of contact for this. 

0 Likes
Tiel
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Moderator,

At previous reply, I said that I confirmed iar-build with IAR=1, but now when I retry to build as below, I failed to build. At first I did "make clean" and then executed "make snip.scan-BCM943364WCD1-ThreadX-NetX_Duo-SDIO-debug IAR=1 VERBOSE=1".   please check what's wrong.

C:\Users\Owner\Documents\WICED-Studio-6.6\43xxx_Wi-Fi>make clean
MAKEFILE MAKECMDGOALS=clean OTA2_SUPPORT is disabled
Cleaning...
Done

C:\Users\Owner\Documents\WICED-Studio-6.6\43xxx_Wi-Fi>make snip.scan-BCM943364WCD1-ThreadX-NetX_Duo-SDIO-debug IAR=1 VERBOSE=1

MAKEFILE MAKECMDGOALS=snip.scan-BCM943364WCD1-ThreadX-NetX_Duo-SDIO-debug OTA2_SUPPORT is disabled
Building with IAR toolchain...
echo Making config file for first time
Making config file for first time
"./tools/common/Win32/make.exe" -r -f ./tools/makefiles/wiced_config.mk snip.scan-BCM943364WCD1-ThreadX-NetX_Duo-SDIO-debug
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| IMPORTANT NOTES |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Wi-Fi MAC Address |
| The target Wi-Fi MAC address is defined in <WICED-SDK>/generated_mac_address.txt |
| Ensure each target device has a unique address. |
| MCU & Wi-Fi Power Save |
| It is *critical* that applications using WICED Powersave API functions connect an accurate 32kHz |
| reference clock to the sleep clock input pin of the WLAN chip. Please read the WICED Powersave |
| Application Note located in the documentation directory if you plan to use powersave features. |
| IMPORTANT NOTES |
| Wi-Fi MAC Address |
| The target Wi-Fi MAC address is defined in <WICED-SDK>/generated_mac_address.txt |
| It is *critical* that applications using WICED Powersave API functions connect an accurate 32kHz |
| reference clock to the sleep clock input pin of the WLAN chip. Please read the WICED Powersave |
| Application Note located in the documentation directory if you plan to use powersave features. |
make.exe[1]: Entering directory 'C:/Users/Owner/Documents/WICED-Studio-6.6/43xxx_Wi-Fi'
if not exist build\snip.scan-BCM943364WCD1-ThreadX-NetX_Duo-SDIO-debug mkdir build\snip.scan-BCM943364WCD1-ThreadX-NetX_Duo-SDIO-debug
make.exe[1]: Leaving directory 'C:/Users/Owner/Documents/WICED-Studio-6.6/43xxx_Wi-Fi'
MAKEFILE MAKECMDGOALS=snip.scan-BCM943364WCD1-ThreadX-NetX_Duo-SDIO-debug OTA2_SUPPORT is disabled
./tools/common/Win32/mkdir -p build/snip.scan-BCM943364WCD1-ThreadX-NetX_Duo-SDIO-debug/binary build/snip.scan-BCM943364WCD1-ThreadX-NetX_Duo-SDIO-debug/modules build/snip.scan-BCM943364WCD1-ThreadX-NetX_Duo-SDIO-debug/libraries build/snip.scan-BCM943364WCD1-ThreadX-NetX_Duo-SDIO-debug/resources
"./tools/common/Win32/make.exe" -r -j1 -f ./tools/makefiles/wiced_elf.mk snip.scan-BCM943364WCD1-ThreadX-NetX_Duo-SDIO-debug
make.exe[1]: Entering directory 'C:/Users/Owner/Documents/WICED-Studio-6.6/43xxx_Wi-Fi'
echo Building Bootloader
Building Bootloader
"./tools/common/Win32/make.exe" -r -f ./Makefile waf.bootloader-NoOS-BCM943364WCD1 -Ibuild/snip.scan-BCM943364WCD1-ThreadX-NetX_Duo-SDIO-debug SFLASH= EXTERNAL_WICED_GLOBAL_DEFINES= SUB_BUILD=bootloader
MAKEFILE MAKECMDGOALS=waf.bootloader-NoOS-BCM943364WCD1 OTA2_SUPPORT is disabled
make.exe[2]: Entering directory 'C:/Users/Owner/Documents/WICED-Studio-6.6/43xxx_Wi-Fi'
echo Making config file for first time
Making config file for first time
"./tools/common/Win32/make.exe" -r -f ./tools/makefiles/wiced_config.mk waf.bootloader-NoOS-BCM943364WCD1
| IMPORTANT NOTES |
| Wi-Fi MAC Address |
make.exe[3]: Entering directory 'C:/Users/Owner/Documents/WICED-Studio-6.6/43xxx_Wi-Fi'
if not exist build\waf.bootloader-NoOS-BCM943364WCD1 mkdir build\waf.bootloader-NoOS-BCM943364WCD1
make.exe[3]: Leaving directory 'C:/Users/Owner/Documents/WICED-Studio-6.6/43xxx_Wi-Fi'
make.exe[2]: Leaving directory 'C:/Users/Owner/Documents/WICED-Studio-6.6/43xxx_Wi-Fi'
MAKEFILE MAKECMDGOALS=waf.bootloader-NoOS-BCM943364WCD1 OTA2_SUPPORT is disabled
make.exe[2]: Entering directory 'C:/Users/Owner/Documents/WICED-Studio-6.6/43xxx_Wi-Fi'
./tools/common/Win32/mkdir -p build/waf.bootloader-NoOS-BCM943364WCD1/binary build/waf.bootloader-NoOS-BCM943364WCD1/modules build/waf.bootloader-NoOS-BCM943364WCD1/libraries build/waf.bootloader-NoOS-BCM943364WCD1/resources
"./tools/common/Win32/make.exe" -r -f ./tools/makefiles/wiced_elf.mk waf.bootloader-NoOS-BCM943364WCD1
make.exe[3]: Entering directory 'C:/Users/Owner/Documents/WICED-Studio-6.6/43xxx_Wi-Fi'
if not exist build\waf.bootloader-NoOS-BCM943364WCD1\Modules\apps\waf\bootloader\ mkdir build\waf.bootloader-NoOS-BCM943364WCD1\Modules\apps\waf\bootloader\
echo > build/waf.bootloader-NoOS-BCM943364WCD1/Modules/apps/waf/bootloader/.d
echo /* Automatically generated file - this comment ensures resources.h file creation */ > build/waf.bootloader-NoOS-BCM943364WCD1/resources/resources.h
echo Compiling App_WICED_Bootloader_BCM943364WCD1
Compiling App_WICED_Bootloader_BCM943364WCD1
"C:\Program Files (x86)\IAR Systems\Embedded Workbench Systems/ewarm_8_40_1\arm\bin\"iccarm.exe -fbuild/waf.bootloader-NoOS-BCM943364WCD1/libraries/App_WICED_Bootloader_BCM943364WCD1.c_opts -o build/waf.bootloader-NoOS-BCM943364WCD1/Modules/apps/waf/bootloader/bootloader.o apps/waf/bootloader/bootloader.c >> build/waf.bootloader-NoOS-BCM943364WCD1/iar_build_results_tmp.txt
지정된 경로를 찾을 수 없습니다.
tools/makefiles/wiced_elf.mk:232: recipe for target 'build/waf.bootloader-NoOS-BCM943364WCD1/Modules/apps/waf/bootloader/bootloader.o' failed
make.exe[3]: *** [build/waf.bootloader-NoOS-BCM943364WCD1/Modules/apps/waf/bootloader/bootloader.o] Error 1
make.exe[3]: Leaving directory 'C:/Users/Owner/Documents/WICED-Studio-6.6/43xxx_Wi-Fi'
Makefile:351: recipe for target 'main_app' failed
make.exe[2]: *** [main_app] Error 2
make.exe[2]: Leaving directory 'C:/Users/Owner/Documents/WICED-Studio-6.6/43xxx_Wi-Fi'
tools/makefiles/standard_platform_targets.mk:90: recipe for target 'bootloader' failed
make.exe[1]: *** [bootloader] Error 2
make.exe[1]: Leaving directory 'C:/Users/Owner/Documents/WICED-Studio-6.6/43xxx_Wi-Fi'
Makefile:351: recipe for target 'main_app' failed
make: *** [main_app] Error 2

FYI,  when I execute "make snip.scan-BCM943364WCD1-ThreadX-NetX_Duo-SDIO-debug" without IAR=1", build is ok.

I hope you will write back soon.

Best Regards,

Tiel

0 Likes
Murali_R

@Tiel As per your previous response, you were successfully  able to compile. So I would guess that something has changed from then.

Here's a few things that you could check. Check if your IAR license is still valid/active. If you made any changes to the SDK from the previous point, please revert the changes and check at what point this starts working once again and we can take this forward from there. Because from your logs, I see that the build is failing at the bootloader stage which shouldn't happen unless there was a change done.  

0 Likes
Tiel
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for response.

I tried to install wiced-sdk in new laptop and tested compile again. the result was same.

I did not change any code.

I just did build with IAR=1 option.  and my IAR license is ok. I can compile other sources well.

And regarding my IAR=1 build comfirm, I tried to check previous build log.

When I checked previous build log file of when I thought I succedded build, It seemed to try build without IAR=1 option and then build with IAR =1 option with gcc-compiled object files. so now I think my build test was erroneous.

I hope this would help for analysis.

best regards,

Tiel

0 Likes