What is the specific process to set CYW43012 into lowest power mode?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
GrCa_1363456
Level 6
Level 6
50 likes received Beta tester First comment on KBA

What is the procudere to set the CY8CKIT-062S2-43012 evaluation kit to a power state comparable to the numbers in Table 47 of the CYW43012 spec?

I have read thru AN227910 in detail and understand different methods to minimize power consumption while maintaining association with an Access Point. The specification for CYW43012 shows excellent average power in DS0 power save mode as shown in "Table 46 - 2.4 GHz Mode WLAN Power Consumption" in the CYW43012 spec sheet ( Document Number: 002-18925 Rev. *M page 75) "Table 47 - 5 GHz Mode WLAN Power Consumption" in the CYW43012 spec sheet ( Document Number: 002-18925 Rev. *M page 76). The tests I performed are very close to the specs in RX and TX active mode, but way off in SLEEP mode. I should be in the 100's of micro-Amp in deep sleep mode (DS0 per AN227919 page 6 power mode transition diagram) but I am getting 1.1 - 1.2 millie-Amp.

I am trying to understand what else is drawing power in the part. Since I am only testing the wifi side at the moment, do I need to explicitly disable the Bluetooth side ? are they on different power planes inside the module ? The power mode calls available are only "disable power save", "powersave with thruput", and "powersave". How else can power be manipulated ? For example - Is there an interface to control the transmit power ?

For reference, there are three images attached:
The first image "43012 station 1" shows 3 brief transfers. as seen from the trace
DTIM is 1
200 msec active time after each transfer (of which I can minimize by changing power_mode)
The active time is drawing about 20 mA which matches with the spec for RX active.
The steady state average in low power mode is about 1.20 mA

The second image "43012 station 2" shows 3 3.2M transfers. as seen from the trace
DTIM is 1
200 msec active time after each transfer (of which I can minimize by changing power_mode)
The active time is drawing about 20 mA which matches with the spec for RX active.
The transmit current is averaging about 120mA
The steady state average in low power mode is about 1.20 mA

The third image "43012 station 3" has DTIM at 5. The power is 1.1- 1.2 mA. The intent was to get the average power as low as possible for a battery power device with low duty cycle.

What is required to acheive the lowest average power while staying associated with an AccessPoint?

According to "Table 47 - 5 GHz Mode WLAN Power Consumption" in the CYW43012 spec sheet ( Document Number: 002-18925 Rev. *M page 76)
VBAT
Radio OFF 1.2 uA
Sleep current 3.0 uA
IEEE Power save, DTIM = 1 – single RX 255 uA
IEEE Power save, DTIM = 3 – single RX 88 uA
IEEE Power save, DTIM = 10 – single RX 31 uA

The PSoC 6 MCU is going into DeepSleep power mode.

What settings or conditions are required to get the CYW43012 power draw closer to what the spec is indicating at about 255uA (with DTIM = 1) instead of the 1.2 mA. While in Power save DTIM =1, current draw is 4x over spec at VBAT. When DTIM changes, the steady state lower power current did not change, only the wake-up time changed.
What is the procudere to set the CY8CKIT-062S2-43012 evaluation kit to a power state comparable to the numbers in Table 47 of the CYW43012 spec?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi @GrCa_1363456 ,

Since this is the duplicate of that thread, we will close this and handle the issue there.

https://community.infineon.com/t5/AIROC-Wi-Fi-and-Wi-Fi-Bluetooth/Low-power-mode-for-CYW43012-1LV-mo...

Thanks,

Rakesh B G

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Rakesh_BG
50 solutions authored 100 replies posted 100 sign-ins

Hi @GrCa_1363456 ,

You can refer to the example code for which link shared below. The code example demonstrates the low-power operation of a host MCU and a WLAN device using the network activity handlers provided by the low power assistant (LPA) middleware.

https://github.com/Infineon/mtb-example-anycloud-wlan-lowpower

Thanks,

Rakesh B G

0 Likes
GrCa_1363456
Level 6
Level 6
50 likes received Beta tester First comment on KBA

Rakesh,

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately the proposed example is the same one used to achieve the results posted above.

Murali had implied in a parallel post (see below) that a power setting within the WiFi/BLE module might further reduce the power. If radio power reduction is required to achieve the optimal results, are there examples to reduce modify radio power that don't invalidate emissions compliance?

Note: This post was replicated when it was marked momentarily as SPAM. Please direct responses to the current version of the question @ Low power mode for CYW43012 1LV module on the CY8CKIT-062S2-43012 module in the PSOC 62S2 Pioneer Ki...

Greg

0 Likes

Hi @GrCa_1363456 ,

Since this is the duplicate of that thread, we will close this and handle the issue there.

https://community.infineon.com/t5/AIROC-Wi-Fi-and-Wi-Fi-Bluetooth/Low-power-mode-for-CYW43012-1LV-mo...

Thanks,

Rakesh B G

0 Likes