Queries re linux in-tree driver for Infineon Wifi+BT controllers

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
msas-dev
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted 5 sign-ins First question asked

Hello!

We have recently purchased a few Wifi+BT M.2 modules  (with Infineon CYW43439, CYW4373E and CYW43012 controllers, all with SDIO host interface) and are in the process of integrating these modules on IMX's i.MX8ULP-CS EVK with linux kernel version 5.10.104 (and soon 5.15.x).

We have some questions and would appreciate any help that you folks could provide in guiding us in the right direction.

What we have done so far:
=========================

1. Begin with Infineon's march update for the 'brcmfmac' driver shipped (as an 'in-tree' driver) in the linux 5.x kernel sources.
- Update name: cypress-fmac-v5.10.9-2022_0331.zip
- Location: https://community.infineon.com/t5/Wi-Fi-Bluetooth-for-Linux/Cypress-Linux-WiFi-Driver-Release-FMAC-2...

2. Apply the contained patches to the 'in-tree' brcmfmac driver (in the linux 5.10.104 kernel) per instructions in the README file contained in the above mentioned update package.

3. Acquire NVRAM settings files from the murata github repo @ https://github.com/murata-wireless/cyw-fmac-nvram ('master' branch). The above referred Infineon update did not provide these files.

4. Use applicable firmware binaries provided in the Infineon update.

4. Ensure that the (now patched) in-tree brcmfmac driver:
- detects all 3 Infineon controllers correctly,
- loads the matching firmware and nvram settings
- exposes a functioning 'mlan0' interface.

5. Ensure successful access point connectivity, along with subsequent basic network connectivity (ssh, scp etc.) tests.

Our questions:
==============

1. Under what licence (OSS or otherwise) are these these patches provided under? The 'cypress-patches' sub directory in the update package does not contain this information.  The COPYING file in that directory does mention the linux kernel licence, so is it safe to assume that same license applies to the patches as well?

2. These patches produce patching errors when applied to a 5.15.x kernel (5.15.47 in our case).  Is there an ETA when these patches will be ported to the 5.15.x kernel?

3. Are we correct in our approach in using the in-tree brcmfmac driver along the murata supplied NVRAM settings file (instead of the 'fmac' driver provided by murata)?

2. Are we correct in using the Infineon supplied firmware binaries or should we be using the ones from murata @ https://github.com/murata-wireless/cyw-fmac-fw ('master' branch)?

3. Are we correct in using the murata supplied NVRAM settings files for the Infineon modules? If not, where should we get these NVRAM settings files?

We are on a tight schedule and would be grateful for any help you folks could provide.

0 Likes
1 Solution
raks_99
First question asked 250 replies posted 250 sign-ins

Hi @msas-dev ,

1. I'm not sure of the exact license type, I can check on this and revert. .

2. Usually, we upgrade to the next kernel version every 6 months to 1 year. We pick the next available LTS release version. The current latest and also the upcoming FMAC release is going to be for 5.10.9. There is no timeline available for v5.15 support yet.

3. Using the same NVRAM file won't be a problem. However, using in-tree brcmfmac instead of the 'cyfmac' is not recommended by us.

4. Yes, you can use those binaries. The same binaries are also part of our driver release package.

The latest May FMAC package is available here: https://community.infineon.com/t5/Wi-Fi-Bluetooth-for-Linux/Cypress-Linux-WiFi-Driver-Release-FMAC-2...

5. The NVRAM files contain configuration which is specific to the module design. So Yes, you should always use the NVARM provided to you by the module manufacturer.

Regards.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
raks_99

Hi @msas-dev ,

1. I'm not sure of the exact license type, I can check on this and revert. .

2. Usually, we upgrade to the next kernel version every 6 months to 1 year. We pick the next available LTS release version. The current latest and also the upcoming FMAC release is going to be for 5.10.9. There is no timeline available for v5.15 support yet.

3. Using the same NVRAM file won't be a problem. However, using in-tree brcmfmac instead of the 'cyfmac' is not recommended by us.

4. Yes, you can use those binaries. The same binaries are also part of our driver release package.

The latest May FMAC package is available here: https://community.infineon.com/t5/Wi-Fi-Bluetooth-for-Linux/Cypress-Linux-WiFi-Driver-Release-FMAC-2...

5. The NVRAM files contain configuration which is specific to the module design. So Yes, you should always use the NVARM provided to you by the module manufacturer.

Regards.

0 Likes

Hi raks_99,

Thank you for the quick response and the detailed clarifications.

Re. "using in-tree brcmfmac instead of the 'cyfmac' is not recommended by us", I'm a bit confused by the 'cyfmac' driver as I've not come across that variant before. Where would I find the sources for this driver?

0 Likes
raks_99

>The cyfmac(cypress fmac) is the release provided by us https://community.infineon.com/t5/Wi-Fi-Bluetooth-for-Linux/Cypress-Linux-WiFi-Driver-Release-FMAC-2...

Support from Cypress-Infineon upto kernel v5.10.9

>The brcmfmac is the in-tree kernel driver src. This currently will also support kernel v5.15, but we don't recommend this because this is not verified by us internally.

Thanks

0 Likes

Hi raks_99,

Thank you so very much for your super quick responses!

Just wondering if you had any updates re. the license type for the driver patches (as contained in the cypress-patch-v5.10.9-2022_0511.tar.gz archive inside the cypress-fmac-v5.10.9-2022_0511.zip release)  as well?

Thanks

0 Likes
raks_99

Hi @msas-dev ,

You can consider that the patches also come under the Linux kernel license.

Thanks!

0 Likes