Low power mode for CYW43012 1LV module on the CY8CKIT-062S2-43012 module in the PSOC 62S2 Pioneer Kit

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
TurinL
Level 2
Level 2
5 replies posted 10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins

Hi Support Team,

We are evaluating the cypress CYW43012 1LV module using the CY8CKIT-062S2-43012 module in the PSoC 62S2 Pioneer Kit.  

Version : Kittprogramming3. 

IDE : Eclipse Modus Toolbox

The test is measure the current/power needed at VBAT ( J8  pin 1). The module is setup in station mode attached to an Access Point in the 5Ghz band. With no other interaction, the WLAN is configured for power save and the PSoC 6 MCU suspending the network stack going into deep sleep mode.

According to "Table 47 - 5 GHz Mode WLAN Power Consumption" in  the CYW43012 spec sheet ( Document Number: 002-18925 Rev. *M page 76)
                                                                               VBAT
Radio OFF                                                                1.2 uA
Sleep current                                                         3.0 uA
IEEE Power save, DTIM = 1 – single RX        255 uA
IEEE Power save, DTIM = 3 – single RX          88 uA   
IEEE Power save, DTIM = 10 – single RX        31 uA

I am measuring the current/power that is 4x what the spec stated for DTIM = 1. The average also seems to be independent of the DTIM setting. See attached screen shot for DTIM = 1 and DTIM = 5, there is not much difference in power consumption. The current measured at VBAT is  ~ 1.1 mA in the low power state. Looking at the schematics for the evaluation board VBAT only got to the CYW43012 module and a power switch ( which should only have 1 uA leakage ).  Are there other power save command beside  "whd_wifi_enable_powersave_with_throughput(ifp, RETURN_TO_SLEEP_MS);" and "whd_wifi_enable_powersave(ifp)" to manipulate the power mode ? Can the transmit power be controlled in the module ?

TurinL_0-1642084435340.jpeg

Power measurement at VBAT
0 Likes
1 Solution
Rakesh_BG
50 solutions authored 100 replies posted 100 sign-ins

Hi,

Changes need to be done to fix the issue in WHD v2.2.0 added below.
Line 792 in whd_chip.c

+if (btdev && btdev->bt_int_cb)

-if (btdev->bt_int_cb)

Thanks,
Rakesh B G

View solution in original post

0 Likes
12 Replies
Murali_R
250 sign-ins 250 replies posted 100 solutions authored

Hello

Can you check out this CE https://github.com/Infineon/mtb-example-anycloud-wlan-lowpower It has the description of how to get the power numbers needed.

To control the transmit power, the power would have to be changed through the CLM BLOB. Contact your nearest sales/marketing of Infineon or the module vendor if you are using one. They should be able to help you out. 

0 Likes
TurinL
Level 2
Level 2
5 replies posted 10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins

Hello MuraliR_36

Thank you for the response. "https://github.com/Infineon/mtb-example-anycloud-wlan-lowpower " is what I used to do my power measurements. For the PSoC 6 I am getting 13 micro-Amps when the network stack is suspended and the PSoC 6 enter Deep Sleep mode which is consistent with example. What I am not getting is the power measured at VBAT for the CYW43012 1LV module, see attached image. My average current is running ~1.2 milli-Amps regardless of DTIM = 1, DTIM = 5,  connected  a 5 GHz  Access Point or a 2.4GHz Access Point. Is there a jumper I need to remove to properly measure the power of the CYW43012 1LV module similar to removing  J25 to measure the power for the PSoC 6 ?

0 Likes
Murali_R
250 sign-ins 250 replies posted 100 solutions authored

Hello @TurinL 

What version of MTB are you using? If it is 2.4 can you try with 2.3? I had seen other customers who had achieved the mentioned power numbers in the older version. So just want to check if the upgrade has something to do with this.

Thanks

0 Likes

I am using Eclipse IDE for ModusToolbox2.4  as the development environment.   I just switched to the MTB 2.3 for testing. With MTB 2.3, the tool "Project Creator" version 1.3 fail to create the project properly - see attached image. If I use Project Creator 1.4 from ModusToolbox 2.4 to create the project and then built the project using MTB 2.3 - it will build the test code. The result of the power measurement is the same as before, I am getting average power in the 1.1- 1.2 millieAmp range instead of 100's of microAmp range. Any other thing to try ??

Thanks

0 Likes
Rakesh_BG

Hi @TurinL ,

Current consumption mentioned in datasheet of CYW43012 in low power mode is verified recently.
There is a possibility in your case that BT_REG_ON pin has not been made low.

Thanks,

Rakesh B G

0 Likes
gryfin_chen
Level 3
Level 3
Distributor - Yuban(GC)
5 questions asked 25 sign-ins First like received

You can try to use version 1.9.4 of wifi-host-driver, and then modify mtb-hal-cat1 with wifi-connection-manager.
After these modifications, I successfully reduced the current from 1 millieAmp to match the official table.

0 Likes

Hi gryfin_chen,

Thanks for the update, can you please verify the WHD version ? I could not find v1.9.4 in github. All the version 1 release have a 2 digit  number v1.xx.x, the latest is 2.2.0. The closest one is v1.94.0, is this the one you are referencing ?

0 Likes
gryfin_chen
Level 3
Level 3
Distributor - Yuban(GC)
5 questions asked 25 sign-ins First like received

Yes, my mistake
The version 1.94.0 is correct.

0 Likes
user_ah
Level 4
Level 4
Distributor - Avnet(GC)
5 solutions authored 25 replies posted 100 sign-ins

Hi 

Have you figure out how to measure the low power current of CYW43012 as below table??

Table 1. Typical current values for CY8CKIT_062S2_43012

State Device Current
Deep sleep PSoC™ 6 MCU 12.1 uA
CYW43012 (VBAT) 2.3 uA
Average current over 3 DTIM periods for
AP (2.4 GHz) beacon interval of 100 and
AP DTIM of 1
PSoC™ 6 MCU 12 uA
CYW43012 (VBAT) 476 uA
AP (2.4 GHz) beacon interval of 100 and
AP DTIM of 3
PSoC™ 6 MCU 12.1 uA
CYW43012 (VBAT) 131 uA
AP (5 GHz) beacon interval of 100 and
AP DTIM of 1
PSoC™ 6 MCU 12 uA
CYW43012 (VBAT) 220 uA
AP (5 GHz) beacon interval of 100 and
AP DTIM of 3
PSoC™ 6 MCU 12 uA
CYW43012 (VBAT) 87 uA

Austin

0 Likes
Rakesh_BG

Hi,

Changes need to be done to fix the issue in WHD v2.2.0 added below.
Line 792 in whd_chip.c

+if (btdev && btdev->bt_int_cb)

-if (btdev->bt_int_cb)

Thanks,
Rakesh B G

0 Likes

Thank you very much, tested and verified working properly.

0 Likes