How to verify BT wake function by the BT_WAKE_HOST pin

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Bill_123
Level 4
Level 4
Distributor - Weikeng(GC)
50 replies posted 100 sign-ins First like received

Dear Sir,

I want to verify BT wake function by the BT_WAKE_HOST pin and reference the document is "Headless Mode and Power Conservation for Bluetooth Device and Host".

The link is below.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiSzpaPzPz5A...

My chip is CYW43455.

I have some questions for the document.

a.Do it only support interface of USB? If not, is it support interface of UART?

b. If IFX support interface of UART, may i know How to verify BT wake function by the BT_WAKE_HOST pin.Is sop the same as Headless Mode and Power Conservation for Bluetooth Device and Host"? 

c.After we use"HCI Reset","HCI Write Scan Enable","Write Page Scan Activity","Write Page Scan Type" and "Set Sleep Mode Parameter", the BT_WAKE_HOST pin  will be low and chip got to sleep mode.

I reference the document , he said when it is in "existing Headless Mode", the chip will be exit sleep mode.

B.R.

Bill.

0 Likes
1 Solution
BragadeeshV
First question asked 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hi @Bill_123 ,

The chip has an inbuilt default FW included in it that will perform the power management functionality. The hcd file only is only a patch file that contains latest bug fixes, CVE fixes or custom configurations based on the module. 

Please note that it is always recommended to use the module with the latest supplied patch FW (HCD file).

Regards,
Bragadeesh

View solution in original post

13 Replies
BragadeeshV

Hi @Bill_123 ,

The app note that you are referring to is for a different device and some sections of it may or may not be relevant to  CYW43455. We highly recommend you to refer to the datasheet of CYW43455.

https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-CYW43455_Single-Chip_5G_WiFi_IEEE_802.11n_ac_MAC_Baseband_Rad...

Please find our responses in red below:

a. Do it only support interface of USB? If not, is it support interface of UART?

CYW43455 does not support USB for HCI. It supports UART and SPI interface. Please check datasheet.

b. If IFX support interface of UART, may i know How to verify BT wake function by the BT_WAKE_HOST pin. Is sop the same as Headless Mode and Power Conservation for Bluetooth Device and Host"? 

c. After we use"HCI Reset","HCI Write Scan Enable","Write Page Scan Activity","Write Page Scan Type" and "Set Sleep Mode Parameter", the BT_WAKE_HOST pin  will be low and chip got to sleep mode.

Please see section 5.7 Bluetooth Power Management Unit of datasheet

Regards,
Bragadeesh
Bill_123
Level 4
Level 4

Dear BragadeeshV,

Thank you for the information

I confused about that we refer to the datasheet of CYW43455.
I want to go into sleep mode for host (used HCI command)and wake up it by CYW43455.

If you could provide me with some guidance about how to go into sleep mode (used HCI command)for host and how to wake up it by using CYW43455.

B.R.

Bill.

0 Likes
BragadeeshV

Hi @Bill_123 ,

You can use the BT_HOST_WAKE pin for this purpose. When the device (CYW43455) has some data to be sent to host, it will wake the host by asserting the BT_HOST_WAKE  pin. The host is expected to wake up from sleep when the BT_HOST_WAKE pin is pulled. Similarly, when host wants to enter sleep mode, it has to check the status of the BT_HOST_WAKE before entering sleep mode.

Regards,
Bragadeesh
0 Likes
Bill_123
Level 4
Level 4

Dear BragadeeshV,

After reference the datasheet of CYW43455, do you have any HCI commands to let the host enters sleep mode?

B.R.

Bill.

0 Likes
BragadeeshV

Hi @Bill_123 ,

Im not sure if I understand your request. Do you want a HCI command to be sent from the host to the controller to let the host enter sleep mode?

Regards,
Bragadeesh
0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Bill_123
Level 4
Level 4

Dear BragadeeshV,

Sorry for the confusion.

Please refer to "the BT wake function by the BT_WAKE_HOST pin.pdf" .

Question 1:Do you have any HCI commands to let the host enters sleep mode and CYW43455 can bel listened another Bluetooth Device message?In the condition, the  BT_WAKE_HOST PIN is High.

Question 2: How to wake up Host?What message (or HCI commands)dose be send by another bluetooth device thru cyw43455?

B.R.

Bill.

0 Likes
Ken_Zhang
Level 2
Level 2
Distributor - Zenitron(GC)
25 sign-ins 5 questions asked 10 sign-ins

Hi Bill

I think Only one method to control host wake or sleep, no HCI CMD, that is the host needs to monitor the BT_WAKE_HOST is high or low by IRQ. If you caputre the waveform about BT_WAKE_HOST and HCI UART, you will find when another bluetooth message is sent CYW43455,  Fristly BT_WAKE_HOST is high, and then HCI cmd will send to host. So when host gets the BT_WAKE_HOST high, you need wake up it, if BT_WAKE_HOST is low, you can let the host enter sleep mode.

0 Likes
Bill_123
Level 4
Level 4

Dear Ken,

Thanks for your advice.

I am wondering if you could provide me with some guidance about what condition "BT_WAKE_HOST high" or "BT_WAKE_HOST low"are.

B.R.

Bill.

0 Likes
BragadeeshV

Hi @Bill_123 ,

See table 5 in datasheet 

BragadeeshV_0-1662961529662.png

The definition of HIGH and LOW can change based on the polarity of the pin. By default it should be active low pins.

Low- asserted, High - Deasserted

Regards,
Bragadeesh
0 Likes
Bill_123
Level 4
Level 4

Dear BragadeeshV,

In the advice from Ken, the host needs to monitor the BT_WAKE_HOST is high or low by IRQ.
We default the it should be active low pins.

In the default, the host gets BT_WAKE_HOST is low, so the host is alive(awake).

Next,we need know how to set BT_WAKE_HOST to high?

After getting BT_WAKE_HOS is high, the host will be entered into sleep.

Finally, how to set BT_WAKE_HOST to low?

After getting BT_WAKE_HOS is low, the host will be entered into alive(awake).

B.R.

Bill.

0 Likes
BragadeeshV

Hi @Bill_123 ,

BT_WAKE_HOST pin can not be controlled from the application, it is internally taken care by the power management unit. Whenever the controller has some data to send it will assert the BT_HOST_WAKE pin and it will deassert the line when it has nothing to send. This is taken care internally.

Regards,
Bragadeesh
0 Likes
Bill_123
Level 4
Level 4

Dear BragadeeshV,

Is the BT wake function (use the BT_WAKE_HOST pin) function related to firmware (HCD file)?

If firmware not enable the function, BT wake function can not be worked.

B.R.

Bill.

0 Likes
BragadeeshV

Hi @Bill_123 ,

The chip has an inbuilt default FW included in it that will perform the power management functionality. The hcd file only is only a patch file that contains latest bug fixes, CVE fixes or custom configurations based on the module. 

Please note that it is always recommended to use the module with the latest supplied patch FW (HCD file).

Regards,
Bragadeesh