Does Cypress products support Wi-Fi SoftMAC driver?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
DaZo_4818121
Level 1
Level 1
5 replies posted 100 sign-ins 50 sign-ins

I know Cypress's FullMAC/HardMAC drivers are frequently updated and available. How about the SoftMAC driver? I can't find it in the community.

Noticed that Cypress FullMAC is patches based on upstream driver drivers/net/wireless/broadcom/brcm80211/brcmfmac. Does upstream driver drivers/net/wireless/broadcom/brcm80211/brcmsmac apply for Cypress Wi-Fi productions?

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution
Murali_R
250 sign-ins 250 replies posted 100 solutions authored

@DaZo_4818121 We neither have nor support SoftMAC drivers and hence the reason why you don't find it in the releases.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Murali_R
250 sign-ins 250 replies posted 100 solutions authored

@DaZo_4818121 We neither have nor support SoftMAC drivers and hence the reason why you don't find it in the releases.

0 Likes

@Murali_R , thanks.
Upstream SoftMAC driver has some benefits both for vendor (resource) and uses. And many other vendors support SoftMAC drivers. May I know why Cypress decides to support neither SoftMAC nor "upstream" FullMAC driver?

Thanks,

0 Likes

@DaZo_4818121 

SoftMAC has only the Phy layer implementation and the MAC layer needs to be implemented on the Host which would add a lot of overhead. Additionally, our MAC layer implementation is proprietary and SMAC would need this to be open. Will let you know if I find any further details.

Also, the FMAC drivers are upstreamed.

0 Likes