CY8CPROTO-062-4343W Bluetooth 5.1

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
cvanbeek
Level 3
Level 3
25 sign-ins 10 replies posted 10 sign-ins

Hello Infineon Support,

Recently, my team has been working on a project where many sensors connect to a central device using BLE.  We had already done testing on the CYBLE-416045-02 chip, which supports BT 5.0, for the sensors.  We determined the throughput would be fast enough after adjusting the link layer payload size to fit a ~230 byte characteristic.  

Our team then ordered a bunch of the CY8CPROTO-062-4343W boards for the central devices, since they can connect to multiple BLE servers, were said to support BT 5.1, and had Wi-Fi support.

cvanbeek_0-1645728039644.png

After significant development, we came to testing the Bluetooth connections.  It was immediately clear that the throughput was magnitudes slower that we had anticipated.  The Bluetooth configurator in ModusToolbox for the CY8CPROTO-062-4343W didn't have the option to set the link layer size or 2 Mbps mode.  By debugging with BTSpy we confirmed that the attribute was sent in 23 byte chunks, instead of the whole attribute in a single transaction.

After discovering these findings, I did some searching and found out I was not the first person to discover that this chip doesn't actually support Bluetooth 5.1.  It is frustrating that after a year and a half, you still haven't removed the false advertising from the CYW4343W page claiming Bluetooth 5.1 support.

We have sunk a lot of time and money into developing this board.  Our team needs to pivot quickly, and we would like to move to something similar to the CY8CPROTO-062-4343W but with BT 5.1 so that we can reuse most of our code.

I cannot discuss our project or requirements further in a public forum post, but I would like to have a meeting with someone technical at Infineon.  We need to discuss our requirements and figure out if there is a part that will meet them.  There doesn't seem to be a way to start a private technical case on your website, so please let me know how we start that process.

Best regards,

Cory  

0 Likes
1 Solution
BragadeeshV
First question asked 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hi @cvanbeek ,

Thank you for reaching out to Infineon Developer community. Our sincere apologies for the confusion caused to you. CYW4343 is BT 5.1 qualified (means it is compatible with peer devices running BT 5.1) but supports only BT 4.1 features. 

You can either contact your local sales representative (or FAE) to open a new support case for you or you can directly create a case from here.  Under Support, Community, Partners -> Legacy Cypress Support (MyCases)

https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/design-support/

For quick review, you can check the landing page for WiFi-BT combo chips

https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/wireless-connectivity/airoc-wi-fi-plus-bluetooth-combos/

You could go for CYW43012 as it supports both LE 2M and DPLE as per your requirement.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Bragadeesh

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
BragadeeshV
First question asked 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hi @cvanbeek ,

Thank you for reaching out to Infineon Developer community. Our sincere apologies for the confusion caused to you. CYW4343 is BT 5.1 qualified (means it is compatible with peer devices running BT 5.1) but supports only BT 4.1 features. 

You can either contact your local sales representative (or FAE) to open a new support case for you or you can directly create a case from here.  Under Support, Community, Partners -> Legacy Cypress Support (MyCases)

https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/design-support/

For quick review, you can check the landing page for WiFi-BT combo chips

https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/wireless-connectivity/airoc-wi-fi-plus-bluetooth-combos/

You could go for CYW43012 as it supports both LE 2M and DPLE as per your requirement.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Bragadeesh
0 Likes

Hi Bragadeesh,

A few things:

1. I created an example BLE application in ModusToolbox for the CY8CKIT-062S2-43012.  When I opened the BT configurator, there is not an option to adjust the Link Layer packet size or switch to 2 Mbps PHY mode.  How do you set these on the CY8CKIT-062S2-43012?  These options are available in the Bluetooth Configurator for the CYBLD-416045-EVAL BSP.  We need to be certain these will work for our application.
  2. Bluetooth is backwards compatible so any BT 5.0 device can already connect to a 4.1 device.  Claiming a device is 5.1 without any of the 5.1 features just because it can connect to an actual 5.1 device seems misleading.
  3. I tired to open a technical support case under Legacy Cypress Support at the link you provided.  the page it brought me to had no option for technical support except for a link back to this forum.

Best regards,

Cory

0 Likes

Hello Bragadeesh,

A few things:

1. I created an example BLE application in ModusToolbox for the CY8CKIT-062S2-43012.  When I opened the BT configurator, there is not an option to adjust the Link Layer packet size or to swtich to the 2 Mbps PHY mode.  How do you set these on the CY8CKIT-062S2-43012?  These options are available in the BT configurator for the CYBLD-416045-43012.  I need to make sure I can actually enable these features before buying this chip.
  2. Bluetooth is backwards compatible so any BT 5.1 device can already connect to a 4.1 device. Claiming  a device is 5.1 without any of the 5.1 features just because it can connect to an actual 5.1 device seems misleading.
  3. I tried to open a technical support case under Legacy Cypress Support at the link you provided.  The page it brought me to had no option for technical support except for a link back to this forum.

Best regards,

Cory

0 Likes