Putting CYW920719 device to deep sleep and waking it up

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
PK
Level 2
Level 2
10 sign-ins 5 replies posted 5 questions asked

We are using a CYW20719 device on our board for BLE. The datasheet for CYW20719 states the following in ‘6.2 HCI UART Interface.’

“During HCI mode the DEV_WAKE signal can be programmed to wake up the CYW20719 or allow the CYW20719 to sleep when radio activities permit. The CYW20719 can also wake up the host as needed or allow the host to sleep via the HOST_WAKE signal. The combined two signals allow the host and the CYW20719 to optimize system power consumption by allowing independent control of low power modes. DEV_WAKE and HOST_WAKE signals can be enabled via a vendor specific command.”

My questions:

1. If I stop all of my activities with the system, and then just turn off the advertisements with the code as shown below, will the CYW20719 device go to deep sleep?

wiced_bt_start_advertisements( BTM_BLE_ADVERT_OFF, 0, NULL );

1. In the data-sheet for CYW20719, the BT_HOST_WAKE Pin is assgiend Pin Number 24 in QFN-40 packaging of the device, according to Table 5 in section 8.2. Is this pin represented by WICED_P24 or WICED_P23 in Wiced Studio?

Thank you in advance for your prompt reply.

0 Likes
1 Solution
DheerajPK_41
750 replies posted 500 likes received 500 replies posted

Hi,

Are you using WICED STUDIO or Modustoolbox?

If you are using WICED Studio then, I would request you to migrate to Modustoolbox. Because latest fixes are available only in the latest SDK. Please note Modustoolbox only support B2 version of CYW20719 chip.

Coming to yuor question.

1. Ideally, if you have configured the device into the preferred mode of operation, then the device will go to sleep if there is no wake up trigger. This is also depends on the sleep mode you have configured. Whenever there is an BT advertisement trigger then the device wakes up from sleep and advertise and go back to sleep. This is controlled by the stack automatically.

2. Host_wake is a BT_GPIO pin. So it would be WICED_GPIO_01.

Thanks,

-Dheeraj.P.K

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
DheerajPK_41

Hi,

Are you using WICED STUDIO or Modustoolbox?

If you are using WICED Studio then, I would request you to migrate to Modustoolbox. Because latest fixes are available only in the latest SDK. Please note Modustoolbox only support B2 version of CYW20719 chip.

Coming to yuor question.

1. Ideally, if you have configured the device into the preferred mode of operation, then the device will go to sleep if there is no wake up trigger. This is also depends on the sleep mode you have configured. Whenever there is an BT advertisement trigger then the device wakes up from sleep and advertise and go back to sleep. This is controlled by the stack automatically.

2. Host_wake is a BT_GPIO pin. So it would be WICED_GPIO_01.

Thanks,

-Dheeraj.P.K

0 Likes

Hi Dheeraj,

Right now we have a bunch of boards that have B1 version of this chip. Therefore, we are stuck using Wiced Studio 6.4 . But, in future, we will be using the B2 version of the chip and then use Modus Toolbox, as you suggested.

Is there a way for us to find out what fixes were made between the 2 versions so that we can "port back" the required for the B1 version o version of our software?

I have 2 further questions in answer #1 from your post above:

a. How do I configure my device "into the preferred mode of operation?" If you could give me some pseudocode or point me to the wiced api calls, I will highly appreciate them.

b. How do I configure the sleep mode? I don't recall seeing or making any wiced api call for that. Maybe it's a flag I have to set somewhere? Please help.

Thanks!

0 Likes
DheerajPK_41

Hi,

I know few fixes has been applied in the FW for some issues in the sleep mode after WICED 6.4 release. Those fixes are available in Modustoolbox only. It will be very difficult to port back  to WICED.  But I also do not know whether  those same issues were present in WICED or not. 

The sample application which i can provide you is below one which is written for CYW20819. But the process is similar. If you return WICED_SLEEP_ALLOWED_WITHOUT_SHUTDOWN then it should go to PDS mode and if it is WICED_SLEEP_ALLOWED_WITH_SHUTDOWN then the device should go to SDS mode in case of CYW20719.

https://github.com/Infineon/mtb-example-btsdk-hal-low-power

Since CYW20719 low power application is not yet released publicly, I would request you to contact our sales/marketing/FAE team so that we can help you. 

Thanks,

-Dheeraj.P.K

0 Likes