Modus Toolbox Custom BSP CYW20721 - QFN40

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
galin
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

Hi,

I am trying to start a BLE project using Modul Toolbox for chip: CYW20721 - QFN40 starting from CYW920721B2evk-03.

I only have the eval board CYW920721B2evk-02; when I import the example 'find me' and load it on the cypress eval board (CYW920721B2evk-02) I see in the app CySmart, advertised a BT device 'find me'.

We built an Eval board with QFN40 (without External Power amplifier - BT RF pin16 is routed to a chip BT antenna though a filter). I loaded (over Host UART) the example 'find me' for Cypress eval board CYW920721B2evk-03 and I was not able to see any advertisement (on CySmart).

Then I realized (in Device Configurator 2.1) that 'find me' example is using Low Noise/External Power Amplifiers. I don't have the schematic (or the actual Cypress Eval board CYW920721B2evk-03) to confirm if External amplifier is present ... but I don't have it on my custom eval board. 

Should I uncheck the check box and recompile? Do I have to change anything in the project?

I already verified that (without success) ... meaning I don't see anything advertised in CySmart after I recompiled without External Power Amplifier.

I connected PUART pins to MiniProg4 UART pins and I can see the following log generated:

**** Find Me Profile Application Start ****
Unhandled Bluetooth Management Event: 0x15 (21)
Bluetooth Enabled (success)
Local Bluetooth Address: [20 72 1b 29 6b 21 ]
Advertisement State Change: 3
Advertisement started

Can someone provide me the schematic/PCB for board: CYW920721B2evk-03? Is this a Software problem or A Hardware problem? How can I debug this?

My custom Eval board has 24MHz crystal and all decoupling capacitors required for power rails.

Thank you,

galin

0 Likes
1 Solution
Charles_Lai
500 replies posted 250 solutions authored 250 sign-ins

Hi,

CYW920721B2EVK board is not available in the open channel currently. Please contact your local sales representative to order the samples. See:
https://www.cypress.com/documentation/development-kitsboards/cyw920721b2evk-02-evaluation-kit

Also, you can have several versions of ModusToolbox on a Windows 10 laptop. Using the latest version is preferred.

Best regards

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Charles_Lai

Hi,

Since you can see logs given in PUART, I think the program was running successfully. That's a problem rather in hardware or configuration, etc.

You could apply for an EVB board at the Cypress Store.

Best regards

0 Likes
galin
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

Hi Charles,

Thank you for your fast response.

I checked the link https://www.cypress.com/wireless-kits but I was not able to see the eval board: CYW920721B2EVK-03.

After more debugging (using printf) I am able to see that:

- on custom Eval board (with QFN40) we see function adv_led_update() is called with app_bt_adv_conn_state=1. The timer wiced_start_timer(&adv_led_timer, ADV_LED_UPDATE_RATE_MS); is enabled but will never fire (later on).

I will investigate more and let you know my findings.

Also I realized that I am using ModusToolbox 2.1.0 --> should I update to latest ModusToolbox? Can I have two ModusToolbox installed (on a Windows 10 laptop)?

Thank you,

Alin

0 Likes
Charles_Lai

Hi,

CYW920721B2EVK board is not available in the open channel currently. Please contact your local sales representative to order the samples. See:
https://www.cypress.com/documentation/development-kitsboards/cyw920721b2evk-02-evaluation-kit

Also, you can have several versions of ModusToolbox on a Windows 10 laptop. Using the latest version is preferred.

Best regards

0 Likes