CYBT-483056-02 Tx Power setting

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
jbruneaux
Level 3
Level 3
25 sign-ins 10 replies posted 10 questions asked

Hi

We are currently evaluating the CYBT-483056-02 module output power and I can't get it to output the 20dBm that it should be possible according to your previous answer in this topic (https://community.infineon.com/t5/AIROC-Bluetooth/CYBT-483056-02-Tx-Power-clarification/td-p/388879)

I compare the output to the current module that we have, with +18dBm output power setting and doing a carrier frequency test. 

I'm doing the same test on the cybt module using the hci vendor command set TX carrier arm and I've something really far from the expected result.

Also doing an inquiry on the cybt module returns only devices close to the eval board, which seems also due to inquiry request not being sent with good tx power.

All tests on the cybt have been made using the empty_wiced_app example with commands send After the bluetooth stack running event, so default application settings. 

I don't know if there's some power table to tweak but I expect it to be correctly set by the example applications.

Regards Jerome 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi,

Indeed, I saw that there were wiced_external_pa.h API which seems to configure this feature, but I thought that this would have been included in the CYBT-483056-EVAL examples as this is (from my point of view) an internal feature of the CYBT-483056-02 chipset. The BSP (board support package) means that everything that is needed for the board should already be preconfigured.

I've made some tests on the board and configuring the external pa using the API works.

Here is the needed patch for those who need it :

/* Enable the RF Power amplifier */
      status = wiced_external_pa_configure(/* ctx_pin     */ WICED_P02,
                                           /* crx_pin     */ WICED_P16,
                                           /* csd_byp_pin */ WICED_GPIO_NOT_USED,
                                           /* epa_mode    */ EPA_MODE_NORMAL);
      if (status != WICED_SUCCESS)
      {
        // process error
      }

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
advait_kulkarni
25 likes received 250 sign-ins 100 solutions authored

Hi @jbruneaux ,

The 20dbm output power is due to use of the power amplifier. Have you connected the VDDPA? It is the power supply connection for the on-module power amplifier to enhance the TX High power. Kindly refer to the datasheet: https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-CYBT-483056-02_CYBT-483062-02_EZ-BT_XR_WICED_Module-Additiona... and do the needful.

Thanks and regards,

Advait Kulkarni

0 Likes
advait_kulkarni
25 likes received 250 sign-ins 100 solutions authored

Hi @jbruneaux ,

Additionally, you also need to configure two GPIOs to control the external power amplifier.

Thanks and regards,
Advait Kulkarni 

Hi,

Indeed, I saw that there were wiced_external_pa.h API which seems to configure this feature, but I thought that this would have been included in the CYBT-483056-EVAL examples as this is (from my point of view) an internal feature of the CYBT-483056-02 chipset. The BSP (board support package) means that everything that is needed for the board should already be preconfigured.

I've made some tests on the board and configuring the external pa using the API works.

Here is the needed patch for those who need it :

/* Enable the RF Power amplifier */
      status = wiced_external_pa_configure(/* ctx_pin     */ WICED_P02,
                                           /* crx_pin     */ WICED_P16,
                                           /* csd_byp_pin */ WICED_GPIO_NOT_USED,
                                           /* epa_mode    */ EPA_MODE_NORMAL);
      if (status != WICED_SUCCESS)
      {
        // process error
      }
0 Likes