CY8CKIT-062-WIFI-BT fw-loader issues

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
ravo
Level 5
Level 5
10 likes received 5 comments on blog 5 solutions authored

Dears,

I am not able to upgrade kitprog3 on CY8CKIT-062-WIFI-BT using command-line utility fw-loader

I downloaded FW-LOADER from github, read all online documents, manuals... but fw-loader write FW update on 'KitProg3 CMSIS-DAP BULK-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX' device failed...

-----------------------------------------------

...\ModusToolbox\tools_2.4\fw-loader\bin>fw-loader.exe --update-kp3
Cypress Firmware Updater, Version: 3.3.0.1370
(C) Copyright 2018-2021 by Cypress Semiconductor Corporation (an Infineon company)
All Rights Reserved

Info: Start API initialization
Info: Connected - KitProg3 CMSIS-DAP BULK-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Info: Hardware initialization complete 470 ms
Found KP firmware image: "C:/Users\vondra\ModusToolbox\tools_2.4\kp-firmware\kitprog3.cyacd"
Device 'KitProg3 CMSIS-DAP BULK-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX' opened successfully
Info: Kit FW is 'KitProg3' ver. 2.21 b1005. Upgrade file is 'KitProg3' ver. 2.30 b1155.
Info: Disconnected - KitProg3 CMSIS-DAP BULK-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Info: Connected - KitProg Bootloader-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
FW update on 'KitProg3 CMSIS-DAP BULK-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX' device failed

I am only able to revert back using Cypress Programmer to restore CMSIS-DAP older version 2.21

Info : [CyBridge] Start API initialization
Info : [CyBridge] Hardware initialization complete 1965 ms
Info : Connected - KitProg Bootloader-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX FW Version 0.0.0
Info : Upgrading Firmware of 'KitProg Bootloader-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX'
Info : [CyBridge] Bootloader Version: Major 1, Minor 1, Build 60
Info : [CyBridge] FW Upgrade to version: 2.21 b1005
Info : [CyBridge] Bootloading of KitProg FW...
Info : [CyBridge] Verifying of KitProg FW...
Info : [CyBridge] Bootloading of DAPLink...
Info : [CyBridge] Verifying of DAPLink...
Info : [CyBridge] Upgrade completed
Info : Firmware of 'KitProg Bootloader-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX' upgraded successfully
Info : Disconnected - KitProg Bootloader-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX FW Version 0.0.0
Info : Connected - KitProg3 CMSIS-DAP BULK-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX FW Version 2.21.1005

Am I doing something in wrong way ?

Thanks a lot!

0 Likes
1 Solution
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
AlenAn14
500 replies posted 100 solutions authored 250 replies posted

Hi @ravo ,

I am checking more on why there is an issue in the recognition of your KitProg for HID operation for which I have also created a request with the internal team.

I do have a solution for you though where you can make the Cypress Programmer to update your KitProg to the latest 2.30.1155 version of KitProg3 firmware.
Can you try the following steps for this:

1. Navigate to the path "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\Cypress Programmer 4.0\firmware" and replace the KitProg3 files with the files I have attached here in the zip folder.

2. Now open Cypress Programmer and you will be prompted with the update for KitProg, for which select 'Upgrade Firmware' option.

The should update your KitProg to the latest v2.30.1155 version as the KitProg3 files I have attached are for this latest release.

Warm Regards
Alen

View solution in original post

12 Replies
AlenAn14

Hi @ravo ,

Can you please try the following steps and see if you are still not able to program the KitProg3 firmware

1. Disconnect the CY8CKIT-062-WIFI-BT from your PC

2. Press and hold the 'MODE SELECT' (SW3) button.

3. Connect the CY8CKIT-062-WIFI-BT back to PC while the 'MODE SELECT' (SW3) button is pressed.
You will observe the KitProg Status LED (LED2) starting to blink at 1Hz frequency after this is done.

4. Send the command to update the KitProg 3 firmware 'fw-loader.exe --update-kp3'.

Please try the above steps and see if the KitProg firmware is updated successfully.

Warm Regards
Alen

0 Likes
ravo
Level 5
Level 5

Dear Alen,

thanks for answer. I also tried this, here is report:

C:\Users\..\fw-loader-3.3.0.1370-windows\fw-loader\bin>fw-loader.exe --update-kp3
(C) Copyright 2018-2021 by Cypress Semiconductor Corporation (an Infineon company)
All Rights Reserved

Error: CyBridge: Failed to get FW version - Cannot open Hid device with the path: \\?\hid#vid_04b4&pid_f146#6&2e81c4&0&0000#{4d1e55b2-f16f-11cf-88cb-001111000030} Err = ERROR_SHARING_VIOLATION
Info: Hardware initialization complete 692 ms
Error: CyBridge: Failed to get FW version - Cannot open Hid device with the path: \\?\hid#vid_04b4&pid_f146#6&2e81c4&0&0000#{4d1e55b2-f16f-11cf-88cb-001111000030} Err = ERROR_SHARING_VIOLATION
Found KP firmware image: "C:/Users\..\Downloads\fw-loader-3.3.0.1370-windows\kp-firmware\kitprog3.cyacd"
Error: Error = Cannot open Hid device with the path: \\?\hid#vid_04b4&pid_f146#6&2e81c4&0&0000#{4d1e55b2-f16f-11cf-88cb-001111000030} Err = ERROR_SHARING_VIOLATION
Cannot open device 'KitProg Bootloader-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX'

C:\Users\..\fw-loader-3.3.0.1370-windows\fw-loader\bin>

Radim

0 Likes
AlenAn14

Hi @ravo ,

Can you please try using PSoC Programmer (From 'Utilities' tab0) or Cypress Programmer (automatic firmware upgrade) to upgrade the KitProg Firmware?
Please post any error messages from the same that you get when trying to do so here.

Warm Regards
Alen

0 Likes
AlenAn14

Hi @ravo ,

I also believe that the drivers necessary for KitProg are not installed in your PC since you had only downloaded the fw-loader software from GitHub.
So can you please install Cypress Programmer or PSoC Programmer and then try the KitProg upgrade?

Warm Regards
Alen 

0 Likes
ravo
Level 5
Level 5

Dear Alen,

I have already installed both versions - old PSoC Programmer and Cypress Programmer. The upgrade process is similar as in newer Cypress Programmer tool, It download old version 2.21.1005 without problem. Here is report of upgrade process using PSoC Programmer 3.29.1 version:

| KitProg3. CMSIS-DAP Version 2.0.0. Firmware Version 2.21.1005. Hardware Id 11.
Firmware Update Finished at 11:40:55 |
| Succeeded
| Verifying...
| Upgrading...
| Initializing...
Firmware Upgrade Started at 11:40:41 |
Firmware Upgrade Requested at 11:40:41 |
Successfully Connected to KitProg3 (CMSIS-DAP/BULK/XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX) at 11:39:34 | KitProg3. CMSIS-DAP Version 2.0.0. Firmware Version 2.21.1005. Hardware Id 11.
Opening Port at 11:39:34 |

Radim

0 Likes
AlenAn14

Hi @ravo ,

The KitProg 3 version v2.30 is the latest version of KitProg3.
Current version of Cypress programmer and PSoC Programmer was in-built with the KitProg3 version 2.21 as can be observed from the help of the same

AlenAn14_0-1648810708608.png

Hence using 2.21 version of KitProg3 will not create any issues and upgrade of KitProg3 to the 2.30 version is not necessary and the same can only be done from fw-loader.

Can you please let me know why you require to use the latest 2.30 version of KitProg 3?
I was able to successfully update the KitProg to v 2.30 using 'fw-loader --update-kp3' command.

Can you also please check the known issues section here and see if any of the workarounds mentioned there helps?

Can you please check and let me know if you can use the command "./fw-loader --update-kp2" to downgrade the KitProg firmware to v1.5.0 or does this too give you an error?

Warm Regards
Alen

0 Likes
ravo
Level 5
Level 5

Dear Alen,

Thanks for your information. Maybe I did not need latest FW... but when I am debugging project, sometimes it stop even if i did not enable any breakpoints. So then I think that there could be some problems, and would like to use latest FW for kitprog3. I am able to program CY8CKIT-062-WIFI-BT, but MODUS TOOLBOX after programming inform me with this warning:

*******************************************************************************************
* KitProg firmware is out of date, please update to the latest version (2.30.1155)
* using fw-loader tool which can be found in the following folder
* C:/Users/../ModusToolbox/tools_2.4/fw-loader
*******************************************************************************************

Regarding upgrading procedure for kitprog3 I have read all documentation, manuals and KB articles and it does not help me. I tried downgrade process fw-loader --update-kp2 and it also end with error message:

--------------------------------------------

C:\Users\..\ModusToolbox\tools_2.4\fw-loader\bin>fw-loader --update-kp2
All Rights Reserved

Info: Connected - KitProg3 CMSIS-DAP BULK-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Info: Hardware initialization complete 501 ms
Found KP firmware image: "C:/Users\..\ModusToolbox\tools_2.4\kp-firmware\kitprog2_1.cyacd"
Device 'KitProg3 CMSIS-DAP BULK-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX' opened successfully
Info: Kit FW is 'KitProg3' ver. 2.21 b1005. Upgrade file is 'KitProg2' ver. 1.05 b000. DAPLink won't be updated.
Info: Disconnected - KitProg3 CMSIS-DAP BULK-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

--------------------------------------------

Radim

0 Likes
ravo
Level 5
Level 5

Dear Alen,

do you have some ideas why I am not able to upgrade firmware of KitProg3 or Miniprog4 ? As you mentioned that I don't need update, then I don't understand why MODUS TOOLBOX writes this annoying message "KitProg firmware is out of date, please update to the latest version (2.30.1155)." Are there any ways to hide this message to popup ?

Radim

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
AlenAn14

Hi @ravo ,

I am checking more on why there is an issue in the recognition of your KitProg for HID operation for which I have also created a request with the internal team.

I do have a solution for you though where you can make the Cypress Programmer to update your KitProg to the latest 2.30.1155 version of KitProg3 firmware.
Can you try the following steps for this:

1. Navigate to the path "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\Cypress Programmer 4.0\firmware" and replace the KitProg3 files with the files I have attached here in the zip folder.

2. Now open Cypress Programmer and you will be prompted with the update for KitProg, for which select 'Upgrade Firmware' option.

The should update your KitProg to the latest v2.30.1155 version as the KitProg3 files I have attached are for this latest release.

Warm Regards
Alen

VitaS_81
Employee
Employee
10 sign-ins 5 replies posted First solution authored

Dear @ravo , 

Could you please clarify what Operating system do you use?  

Per "Cannot open Hid device with the path" error message,  looks like there is something wrong w/ HID device on your machine. If you use Linux, probably udev rules are not installed correctly. In case of Windows OS, some driver issue  might be. By the way, if it is Windows machine, do you see KitProg3 device in the Device manager? Could you please attach the screenshot of this? Please take a look at Troubleshooting section in https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-KitProg3_User_Guide-UserManual-v01_00-EN.pdf?fileId=8ac78c8c7... and try the provided workarounds? 

0 Likes
ravo
Level 5
Level 5

Dear  VitaS_81,

I am using Windows 10. The problem was solved using Alen procedure (firmware upgrade with Cypress Programmer tool with replaced two files kitprog3.cyacd and kitprog3.version). Now it is working

Radim

0 Likes
ravo
Level 5
Level 5

Dear Alen,

thanks for this advice. Now it ts working correctly. Upgrade firmware process using Cypress Programmer tool with these files was succesful.

Report:

Info : [CyBridge] Start API initialization
Info : [CyBridge] Hardware initialization complete 1798 ms
Info : Connected - KitProg3 CMSIS-DAP BULK-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX FW Version 2.21.1005
Warn : Recommended to upgrade Firmware of 'KitProg3 CMSIS-DAP BULK-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX'
Info : Upgrading Firmware of 'KitProg3 CMSIS-DAP BULK-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX'
Info : [CyBridge] Kit FW is 'KitProg3' ver. 2.21 b1005. Upgrade file is 'KitProg3' ver. 2.30 b1155.
Info : [CyBridge] Bootloader Version: Major 1, Minor 1, Build 60
Info : [CyBridge] FW Upgrade to version: 2.30 b1155
Info : [CyBridge] Bootloading of KitProg FW...
Info : [CyBridge] Verifying of KitProg FW...
Info : [CyBridge] Bootloading of DAPLink...
Info : [CyBridge] Verifying of DAPLink...
Info : [CyBridge] Upgrade completed
Info : Firmware of 'KitProg3 CMSIS-DAP BULK-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX' upgraded successfully
Info : Disconnected - KitProg3 CMSIS-DAP BULK-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX FW Version 2.21.1005
Info : Disconnected - KitProg3 Bootloader-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Info : Connected - KitProg3 CMSIS-DAP BULK-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX FW Version 2.30.1155

So it looks that there is some issues with fw-loader tool.

Thanks once more and Best Regards
Radim

0 Likes