20719-B2 Firmware download via external HCI-UART CPU

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
bpringlemeir
Level 1
Level 1
First like given First reply posted First question asked

I would like to update the application via the HCI-UART.  I have read the 

When I sniff the ModusTool when it downloads firmware to the device, I have these phases,

1. HCI_RESET - expected.
  2.  > 01 4d fc 05 1c d2 00 00 01
     < 04 0e 05 01 4d fc 00 ab <fail>
  3. Mini-driver download
  4. Launch ram
  5. Update baud rate
  6. A strange response ... after baud change...  < 04 0e 04 01 ce ff 00  ???
  7. Config/SS write
  8. CRC32
  9. Main image write
  10. CRC32

In 6, it looks like a response to a chip erase?  Was this just garbage or does the mini-driver erase the flash?

Can I skip 7,8 if I just want to update the application software, but keep all MAC, etc initial parameters.

Is the packet in '2' of any consequence. Could I skip it.  Is it documented?

0 Likes
1 Solution
BragadeeshV
First question asked 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hi @bpringlemeir ,

Can you please let us know from where you got the download log? Typically, download logs can be found in this location. I have attached my log for reference.

\build\CYW920719B2Q40EVB-01\Debug\download.log 

The sequence of steps should be as follows:

1. HCI reset 

2. Download Minidriver command. Opcode-> 0xFC2E

3. Write Ram - 0xFC4C

4. Launch RAM - 0xFC4E

5. Update baud rate -to 3M  (Optional ) - 0x FC4E

6. Chip Erase (Optional - Do not issue if want to retain SS and VS section) - 0x FF CE

7. Write RAM (Only the regions that you wan to write , example only DS) - 0x FC4C

8. Verify CRC - 0xFCCC

8. Launch RAM - Download complete 

Please note that the procedure for partial download and full download are the same. The only difference is that you do not issue Chip Erase command and you only write the DS region to the flash. 

Regards,
Bragadeesh

View solution in original post

4 Replies
BragadeeshV

Hi @bpringlemeir ,

Can you please let us know from where you got the download log? Typically, download logs can be found in this location. I have attached my log for reference.

\build\CYW920719B2Q40EVB-01\Debug\download.log 

The sequence of steps should be as follows:

1. HCI reset 

2. Download Minidriver command. Opcode-> 0xFC2E

3. Write Ram - 0xFC4C

4. Launch RAM - 0xFC4E

5. Update baud rate -to 3M  (Optional ) - 0x FC4E

6. Chip Erase (Optional - Do not issue if want to retain SS and VS section) - 0x FF CE

7. Write RAM (Only the regions that you wan to write , example only DS) - 0x FC4C

8. Verify CRC - 0xFCCC

8. Launch RAM - Download complete 

Please note that the procedure for partial download and full download are the same. The only difference is that you do not issue Chip Erase command and you only write the DS region to the flash. 

Regards,
Bragadeesh
bpringlemeir
Level 1
Level 1
First like given First reply posted First question asked

The log was obtained by sniffing the serial link.  Actually an USB-FTDI layer of the serial link.  For instance, with usbmon on Linux and Wireshark.  The one I cited was a commercial Windows sniffer.

Also, I don't see your download.log attached?  I will look at generating my own.  I did not know this feature existed.  I see it in the ChipLoad.pl script now.

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
BragadeeshV

Hi @bpringlemeir  Looks like the attachment is missed. Attached with this response. 

Regards,
Bragadeesh
0 Likes

Thank you.  It is interesting, our 20719-B2 tools/logs do not show the full packets.  However, maybe this is due to the revision of software we use (v2.9.0).  Also, our logs show a chip erase, so I think the sniffer may have missed this packet (but did see the reply).

I will try to use ChipLoad.pl directly instead of from the Eclipse UI.  I think the data in '2' is from the DetAndId binary.

In 6, it looks like a response to a chip erase?  Was this just garbage or does the mini-driver erase the flash?

As per the download.log, the ChipLoad.pl and 'chip_load' binary was performing a chip erase.  The sniffer missed this command.

Can I skip 7,8 if I just want to update the application software, but keep all MAC, etc initial parameters.

As per accepted answer, this is possible.

Is the packet in '2' of any consequence. Could I skip it.  Is it documented?

Believe this is from the 'DetAndId' binary.

0 Likes