Magnetic Field Sensor Selection Assistance

Announcements

Measure CO2 When It Matters - Infineon’s XENSIV™ PAS CO2 now comes in SparkFun Red. Check it now!

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
CWHW38759
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

Hello,

I am looking for a magnetic field sensor but not necessarily a position sensor.  I want to be able to sense the magnetic field and sense changes in it. We want it to be programmable.  We are not sure if our application will compatible with basic analog output so we would also like to have an option for communication output such as SPI.  We would also like minimum power consumption as we plan to power it with a battery. It doesnt necessarily need to be 3D but I wasnt sure where else to post.

Thank you

Chris

0 Likes
1 Solution
Honey_D
5 comments on blog 50 likes received 250 replies posted

Hello @CWHW38759 ,

The interface we provide for all the 3D magnetic sensors is I2C interface and digital out.

Please look into the below product page for low power 3D magnetic sensors. You can choose any one based on your application design.
https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/sensor/magnetic-sensors/magnetic-position-sensors/3d-magneti...

Hope it helps you. Please let us know if any support required.
Best Regards,
Honey

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Honey_D

Hello @CWHW38759 ,

The interface we provide for all the 3D magnetic sensors is I2C interface and digital out.

Please look into the below product page for low power 3D magnetic sensors. You can choose any one based on your application design.
https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/sensor/magnetic-sensors/magnetic-position-sensors/3d-magneti...

Best Regards,
Honey

0 Likes
0 Likes
Honey_D

Hello @CWHW38759 ,

The basic difference in the linear and 3D Magnetic sensors is:

3D magnetic sensor detects the movement of a magnetic field in all three dimensions whereas the linear hall sensors are for linear position detector for highly accurate angular and linear position detection and current measurement applications. The sensors measure the vertical component of a magnetic field and outputs a signal that is directly proportional to the magnetic field. Linear hall sensors are programmable and they come with different interface options PWM, SENT or SPC

Please go through the following for detailed explanation about both type of sensors

https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/sensor/magnetic-sensors/magnetic-position-sensors/

Best Regards,

Honey

0 Likes
SuomyNonaPatri
Level 1
Level 1
10 sign-ins 5 questions asked 5 sign-ins

if sensor selection is more of an afterthought of the OEM during the design process, it is likely that a specialized sensor will either have to be developed or modified to meet the specific requirements of the actuator system design, which can be costly. Most engineers have been faced with the predicament of finishing a design only to find that a key component of the design was overlooked, and then have to go back to the drawing board or CAD station to figure out a way to make it all fit. It is much more sensible and less costly to account for all of the potential factors that will affect the performance of a sensor prior to designing an actuator system, while always keeping  a focus on the entire system design. In the cases where the use of a custom sensor can't be avoided, there are certain design parameters that should be considered to ensure a robust system design: environmental, mechanical, electrical and magnetic. 

0 Likes